Fans may have to wait years for new DC comics shows to hit Netflix, Hulu

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Fans may have to wait years for new DC comics shows to hit Netflix, Hulu

FANS MAY HAVE TO WAIT YEARS FOR NEW DC COMICS SHOWS TO HIT NETFLIX, HULU
Thu, November 5th, 2015 at 6:56am PST | Updated: November 5th, 2015 at 7:00am
If you're one of the many "Arrow" and "Flash" fans that waits to watch the shows when they hit streaming services like Hulu and Netflix, your viewing habits may be about to change. According to a report from the Associated Press, Time Warner is considering changing the way it distributes is DC Comics-based shows to streaming services in a move that would favor traditional cable and satellite packages.

The news comes from comments made by Time Warner Inc. chief executive Jeff Bewkes to analysts during a conference call on Wednesday, wherein he brought up delivering seasons of their DC-based shows to streaming services several years after they first air rather than one year later. In the meantime, past episodes of those shows would possibly be available on-demand to traditional cable customers.

DC's crop of TV shows includes "The Flash," "Arrow," "Gotham," "Supergirl," "iZombie," and the upcoming "Lucifer," "Legends of Tomorrow" and "Preacher."

The move, if made, would be done to deliver "even more value to consumers, especially those who subscribe to the traditional bundle," said Bewkes. This discussion took place after Time Warner Inc. revealed their third-quarter earnings on Wednesday, numbers that reportedly disappointed investors.

If the move takes place, it most likely comes as Time Warner's response to Netflix's rising influence and prominence in the TV industry, according to analyst Anthony DiClemente of Nomura Securities. "Some of the media executives are looking at Netflix as a digital distributor who has gained too much power," he told the AP. "They are thinking, look, maybe we should keep our most valuable content inside the traditional pay TV ecosystem, which is the golden goose."

"The Flash," "Arrow" and "iZombie" currently air new episodes on the CW. "Gotham's" second season is underway on Fox while "Supergirl's" run has begun on CBS. "Lucifer," "Legends of Tomorrow" and "Preacher" will debut in 2016 on Fox, the CW and AMC, respectively.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...t-netflix-hulu

This is a completely stupid move on Time Warner's part, but again, they are supporting a dying format for their best interests since they own Time Warner Cable, which is losing ground big time to streaming services.

Last edited by Red Hood; 11-09-15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Fans may have to wait years for new dc comics shows to hit netflix, hulu

Uhhh, Netflix is paying Time Warner/Warner Bros. a shit load of money for the rights to Gotham.

It's not like they're giving the content away for peanuts.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/gotham-netflix-deal-826991/

They're getting $1.75M per episode for Gotham, which is a very rich deal for a practically new show. I don't know what that idiot is smoking. They signed contracts already, so I doubt Bewkes can back out of them. SVOD is a lot of revenue for them.
Old 11-09-15, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Fans may have to wait years for new DC comics shows to hit Netflix, Hulu

We are talking about Time Warner here. The people running the company and all its subsidiaries are big time idiots. This is the same company that hired the people who took Marvel into bankruptcy to run DC Comics. The same company that hired Jerry Zucker, the one who turned NBC into shit with things like taking the Tonight Show away from Conan and giving it back to Leno, to run CNN. The same company that sold World Championship Wrestling, including all their video library, copyrights and trademarks, to WWF/WWE for around $5 million dollars. WCW was approximately worth at least $30 million.

It's all to keep their shitty Time Warner Cable afloat. They must know their time is coming with all the people cutting the cord.
Old 11-09-15, 10:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I suspect this is a precursor to Time Warner launching their own streaming service (because we don't yet have enough).
Old 11-09-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No shock there, hope it bites them in the ass for being so consumer unfriendly.
Old 11-09-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I suspect this is a precursor to Time Warner launching their own streaming service (because we don't yet have enough).
Yeah I just want to see every single network (OTA and cable) and studio start their own streaming service at $10-15 per month. I'd like to see the public reaction to that. Plus, ISP's would more than likely increase monthly rates a lot to compensate for the excessive bandwidth usage. Pretty soon high speed internet could jump to $100/month minimum.
Old 11-10-15, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Warner Archive has been around for awhile. They show mostly their bottom of the barrel stuff(older movies and older tv shows).
Old 11-10-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
No shock there, hope it bites them in the ass for being so consumer unfriendly.
I love how these announcements are phrased in a way that make it sound like the companies are doing consumers a big service. "Done to deliver even more value to consumers" Even letters telling me about rate increases make it sound like they're doing me a big favor.
Old 11-10-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I love how these announcements are phrased in a way that make it sound like the companies are doing consumers a big service. "Done to deliver even more value to consumers" Even letters telling me about rate increases make it sound like they're doing me a big favor.
People get paid a lot of money to lie to your face.
Old 11-12-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I get paid horrible money to lie to your face. For someone who grew hearing how honesty is the best policy and is probably the worst liar in the world, I've sure learned just how necessary it is to function socially from day to day.
Old 11-13-15, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I get paid horrible money to lie to your face. For someone who grew hearing how honesty is the best policy and is probably the worst liar in the world, I've sure learned just how necessary it is to function socially from day to day.
“I didn't lie, I was writing fiction with my mouth." - Homer Simpson

Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.
Old 11-13-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Yeah. I read that line and had the same reaction. I kept thinking he should have said "Done to deliver even more value to even less fewer consumers". Way to be behind the times, Time Warner. Obviously it is their way to try to get people to jump back into paying them for the cable.
Old 11-13-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
“I didn't lie, I was writing fiction with my mouth." - Homer Simpson

Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.
I've...never watched The Simpsons...
Old 11-14-15, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I've...never watched The Simpsons...