Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wicked City (ABC) - Series Thread - premieres 10/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 07:33 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Wicked City (ABC) - Series Thread - premieres 10/27/15

SERIES PREMIERE

TWO DETECTIVES ATTEMPT TO TRACK DOWN A SERIAL KILLER WHO PREYS ON YOUNG, HAPLESS WOMEN LOOKING FOR FAME IN THE GLITTERING CITY OF ANGELS, CIRCA 1982, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF ABC'S "WICKED CITY"

Welcome to Los Angeles, circa 1982, during the rock 'n' roll, cocaine-infused revelry of the Sunset Strip. But all is not glitter as there's a serial killer on the loose, and two detectives find themselves on one of the toughest cases of their careers, on the series premiere of "Wicked City," TUESDAY, OCTOBER 27 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Many young women come to Hollywood with dreams of becoming a star. And the Sunset Strip was totally the happening place to be seen and make some connections. But you can't come to the City of Angels without bumping into some evil.

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," Detectives Jack Roth (Jeremy Sisto) and new partner Paco Contreras (Gabriel Luna) are assigned to track down a killer who preys on women seeking fame in the City of Angels. Their perp, unbeknownst to them, is Kent Grainger (Ed Westwick), a tragic soul who craves attention and goes on a murderous rampage to obtain notoriety. Jack and Paco get a break when they stumble upon Karen McClaren (Taissa Farmiga), a young, struggling journalist who may have met the killer at a club and could I.D. him - but she may also be his next target. Meanwhile, Kent has found himself a young woman who may be his 'Bonnie' to his twisted 'Clyde' in the form of Betty Beaumontaine (Erika Christensen), a nurse and single mother of two with a bit of a sadistic twist.

Alliances will be formed between detectives, reporters, drug dealers and club-goers to help solve this case and get this nut job off the street. But the clock is ticking as Kent continues to set his sights on the innocent, and Jack and Paco will go to any means necessary to hunt down and capture this scumbag - dead or alive.

"Wicked City" stars Ed Westwick as Kent Grainger, Erika Christensen as Betty Beaumontaine, Jeremy Sisto as Jack Roth, Taissa Farmiga as Karen McClaren, Gabriel Luna as Paco Contreras, Karolina Wydra as Dianne Kubek, Evan Ross as Diver Hawkes, Anne Winters as Vicki Roth and Jaime Ray Newman as Allison Roth.

Guest starring are W. Earl Brown as Captain Dan Wilkinson, Kirk Baltz as Detective Artie Bukowski, Sara Mornell as Detective Eileen Miller, Doug Simpson as Detective Ralph Peyton, Andriana Manfredi as Emily Fuentes, Pilar Holland as female anchor, Kascee Murdock as Freddie Beaumontaine, Talia Toms as Jane, Heather Grace Hancock as Mallory Kharchenko, Olivia Moss as Mary, Stephen Pearcy as Roscoe, Lola Wayne Villa as Tiffany Beaumontaine, Joe Damian Daly as writer, Devon Reilly as Gloria, Hugo Bianqui as Mr. Maddy and Mark Mester as reporter #1.

"Pilot" was written by Steven Baigelman and directed by Tom Shankland & Jon Cassar.

"Wicked City" was created by Steven Baigelman, who serves as an executive producer along with Amy B. Harris, Jon Cassar and Mandeville Television's Todd Lieberman, David Hoberman and Laurie Zaks. The show is produced by ABC Studios.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OI1JPG3dbts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h4Iz3hwOh08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-27-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Wicked City (ABC) - Series Thread - premieres 10/27/15

FYI
This is only 10 episodes.

The lead director and EP is Jon Cassar, who some of you may know worked on 24.

EW.com hated it in this week's issue.
Old 10-27-15, 08:25 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Most reviews have said it is awful.
Old 10-27-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Weird to see a show which is set in the distant past . . . that I remember. I wonder if my parents had the same reaction to The Godfather.

The second video makes a big deal about being correct to the period, yet the main character is wearing a Miami Vice beard years before that show comes out.
Old 10-28-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The first episode didn't seem that bad, I liked the cast for the most part. Though I don't know if they intended for the serial killer to have more charisma than the nominal leads, the two detectives.

It has a vaguely Aquarius vibe, in so much it's a cop show set in a specific period about a detective willing to bend the law to get things done.
Old 10-28-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Erika Christensen's face looks weird. I didn't know it was her until I looked it up.
Old 10-29-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the pilot was ok. The storyline of the lead detective having issues with being assigned a new partner was the annoying part. Westwick was well cast as a serial killer.
Old 10-29-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
Erika Christensen's face looks weird. I didn't know it was her until I looked it up.
She's gone from hot female movie lead a few years ago to the role of a dumpy, desperate single mother.
Old 11-02-15, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Finally caught the premiere. Not at all awful as the reviews made it sound. Very stylized directing by Jon Cassar.

Loved the 80's soundtrack. Surprised they managed to license all those songs. Like Ed Westwick as the serial killer. His character is kind of a mix of Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl and Dexter. He plays slimy well.

at the "Billy Idol" concert at the end with an obvious stand in playing him.
Old 11-09-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally watched the pilot over the weekend. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, given all the terrible reviews. But I think if it weren't for the time period and the music, I doubt I'd be interested in watching it.

I never liked Westwick in Gossip Girl, but I think he is well cast here.

Originally Posted by DJariya
at the "Billy Idol" concert at the end with an obvious stand in playing him.
My husband was like "I could play a better Billy Idol than that guy!"
Old 11-11-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This show is the walking dead and already rumored to be canceled. It has the lowest ratings of any scripted series on the big 4 networks this season. There is a good chance ABC doesn't even broadcast the entire run.
Old 11-13-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Canceled: http://deadline.com/2015/11/wicked-c...bc-1201622539/

I haven't watched this yet, but was going to. I'll still probably watch what aired just to see what it was like.
Old 11-13-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had been DVring the show and haven't watched the episodes after the pilot.
Old 11-14-15, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched all three episodes that hit air mostly because I liked some of the cast. It never really felt like an ABC show, this was much darker, edgier material. I wouldn't go out of my way to finish them.
Old 11-14-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

As I posted, I only watched the Pilot. No huge loss. Saves me 2 hours off the DVR.

Poor Jon Cassar, he goes from directing 24 to this bomb. I figured this show wasn't going to be a hit, especially after the poor reviews. But, I didn't expect it to be an outright bomb.

I know we all tend to make fun of shows we think suck or are doing bad in the ratings. But, there are still people who are employed on them and this is their livelihood. The EP of Wicked City tweeted that 200 people are now out of work. That sucks. Since the TV season has already started, those people probably can't get jobs until next Pilot season in the Spring.

https://twitter.com/lzakshorn/status/665342243419521025
Old 11-14-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know why networks even bother trying racy dramas like this. They just can't compete with cable. Stick with sitcoms, ABC.
Old 11-14-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
As I posted, I only watched the Pilot. No huge loss. Saves me 2 hours off the DVR.

Poor Jon Cassar, he goes from directing 24 to this bomb. I figured this show wasn't going to be a hit, especially after the poor reviews. But, I didn't expect it to be an outright bomb.

I know we all tend to make fun of shows we think suck or are doing bad in the ratings. But, there are still people who are employed on them and this is their livelihood. The EP of Wicked City tweeted that 200 people are now out of work. That sucks. Since the TV season has already started, those people probably can't get jobs until next Pilot season in the Spring.

https://twitter.com/lzakshorn/status/665342243419521025
Maybe that EP should have produced a better show then.
Old 11-14-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Maybe that EP should have produced a better show then.
People also have the choice to find another industry to work in if they want more stability.

Huge fan of Erika Christensen (so hot) but this show looked terrible. In fact, so far, all the mid-season replacements look pretty bad. Good thing because we have many episodes of others shows to catch up on.
Old 11-14-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
People also have the choice to find another industry to work in if they want more stability.

Huge fan of Erika Christensen (so hot) but this show looked terrible. In fact, so far, all the mid-season replacements look pretty bad. Good thing because we have many episodes of others shows to catch up on.
That's how employment in the entertainment industry works. Those people live job to job. Most new shows fail, but these people gamble and take on the jobs not knowing if they will be employed for 9 months year to year or only a few months and then heading to the unemployment line.

Very few are lucky enough to get employed on an Empire, Walking Dead, which are ratings juggernauts.
Old 12-24-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2015/12/wicked-c...lu-1201671929/

The remaining episodes are now available on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/wicked-city

Episode 8, the series finale, just finished post production and not available yet. According to the EP of the show, it will have a complete ending.
Old 10-09-16, 03:55 PM

Has anyone watched all 8? Is it worth it?
Old 10-09-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Yes, I found it interesting and entertaining. Maybe not a final resolution but there was a certain pay off at the end. At least from what I remember, since it was so long ago that I watched.