Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Catharis Clip: Movie Buff Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catharis Clip: Movie Buff Needed

Hey all,

New to the forums, but I'm looking for help from movie buffs. I'm looking for a clip, 1:00-2:00 minutes, that demonstrates catharsis. By definition, catharsis is emotional release. In this case, I'm looking for aggression that leads to a reduce in drive when releasing the aggressive energy by acting aggressively or fantasizing aggression. The key, to me at least, is that the person must feel a sense of release in the end. I remember there are many movies where someone gets angry and releases it, only to have someone ask: Feel better now? That type of thing. Unfortunately, I haven't found many clips. The only one I've found is a bad Anger Management clip.

~ Jason
Old 10-01-15, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: Catharis Clip: Movie Buff Needed

I suggest watching action movies from the 80's & 90s. Also Jason Statham movies.
Old 10-01-15, 04:32 AM

The end of the first Hostel movie, when the protagonist is driving in a car and sees the people responsible for his kidnapping walking in the street...
Old 10-01-15, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by nester66
Hey all,

New to the forums, but I'm looking for help from movie buffs. I'm looking for a clip, 1:00-2:00 minutes, that demonstrates catharsis. By definition, catharsis is emotional release. In this case, I'm looking for aggression that leads to a reduce in drive when releasing the aggressive energy by acting aggressively or fantasizing aggression. The key, to me at least, is that the person must feel a sense of release in the end. I remember there are many movies where someone gets angry and releases it, only to have someone ask: Feel better now? That type of thing. Unfortunately, I haven't found many clips. The only one I've found is a bad Anger Management clip.

~ Jason
After reading your description, the first thing I thought of was Dustin Hoffman at the end of STRAW DOGS (1971).
Old 10-01-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Return of the Jedi when Luke gets mad and takes it out on his father at the end, cutting off his hand in the process.

Revenge of the Sith when pre-Vader gets mad at Windu for attacking an innocent government official, taking off his arm in the process. The government official then sees how powerful anger is and turns himself into the Emperor.

The beginning of 187 where one of the kids gets mad at Mace Windu and stabs him a bunch of times in the hall at school.
Old 10-01-15, 01:54 PM

Were any of those clips anger that then subsided and made them feel better afterword? I don't think Luke felt better after losing his hand -that was more a display of pure anger. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 10-01-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're right. They both felt bad.
Old 10-01-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Would that Nick Frost scene toward the end of Hot Fuzz (where he mimics Keanu Reeves in Point Break (which would probably qualify, too)). The screaming and shooting the gun in the air, bit.
Old 10-02-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about when they smash the printer in Office Space?
Old 10-03-15, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a TV show, but I think it fits. On The Flintstones episode "The Happy Household", Wilma becomes the hostess of a cooking show on TV. Fred doesn't get to eat Wilma's home-cooked dinners because she's out of the house doing the show. Watching TV, Fred becomes enraged as Wilma sings the Rockenschpeel Foods jingle. He picks up the TV and holds it over his head (shown) and throws it down on the floor (not shown). As he stand among the twisted wreckage, he breathes heavily, trying to regain his composure. A very disturbing scene for the politically correct. And a funny one for everyone else.