Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Forest (2016, D: Jason Zada) S: Natalie Dormer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The horror film The Forest takes place in the infamous Sea of Trees in Aokigahara, Japan where people go to commit suicide. Jason Zada directs from a script by Sarah Cornwell based on a story by David Goyer.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BDs_DYow7xA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Set for release January 8, 2015
Old 10-01-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Forest (2016, D: Jason Zada) S: Natalie Dormer

takes place in... Japan... based on a story by David Goyer.
Well, that sounds awful already.
Old 10-01-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

2nd movie coming out about that forest, the other a drama by Gus Van Sant with McConaughey and Watanabe. It's supposedly horrible though, got booed at Cannes.

This looks like it could at least be entertaining. Having Dormer doesn't hurt either...
Old 10-01-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

There was another movie about the subject that came out a year or so ago. DTV I believe, though.
Old 10-01-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I was invited to an early rough cut screening of this last week, but I couldn't go.

Looks interesting and I like that it takes place in Japan. I watch Taylor Kinney on Chicago Fire, so I'll check it out.
Old 10-01-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The trailer didn't do much for me but I like the premise and I'm glad to see Natalie Dormer get bigger roles. I'll check it out when it hits blu-ray.

Hopefully the reviews are positive.
Old 10-01-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm slightly interested. Went to Japan in Jan. and drove through part of Aokigahara, but wasn't able to book a trip to walk around in it for the day. That region is gorgeous, and if they actually shot it there it'll be worth watching just for the scenery.
Old 01-10-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this with my son last night. The theater we were in was legitimately more crowded than when we saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I was blown away by that. Looks to have opened with about $13 million. Not a bad take for something with a fairly small budget.

The scenery was really quite beautiful. I was impressed by that. The movie itself was enjoyable enough. Typical PG-13 horror flick, with jump scares galore. The cast was good...Dormer and Kinney definitely added to my enjoyment of it.
Old 01-10-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
2nd movie coming out about that forest, the other a drama by Gus Van Sant with McConaughey and Watanabe. It's supposedly horrible though, got booed at Cannes.

This looks like it could at least be entertaining. Having Dormer doesn't hurt either...
Doesn't everything get either booed or a 40 hour standing ovation at Cannes? But the movie does sound pretty terrible.
Old 01-10-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I'm slightly interested. Went to Japan in Jan. and drove through part of Aokigahara, but wasn't able to book a trip to walk around in it for the day. That region is gorgeous, and if they actually shot it there it'll be worth watching just for the scenery.
I read in an interview with Dormer that most of the forest shots (at least where they are running around) were filmed in Serbia. Though she did mention they shot in Japan for a week and it's easy to see where all of those days went in the final product. Unless they dressed the entrance of the forest in Serbia like the entrance to Aokigahara, I would guess that the most of the (actual) Aokigahara shots are aerials, the entrance/parking lot and the fenced off path.

Saw this today. Though it alright. Dormer is solid despite a pretty below average script. The plot was so needlessly confusing at times when the film could have just played to it's strengths (Aokigahara). It also falls into a lot of current PG/PG-13 traps and the sketchy CGI work doesn't help at all.
Old 04-03-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Rented the DVD and watched this tonight.

It was okay. Not really scary. I've seen scarier and more suspenseful Japanese horror movies. Dormer was good, but there was nothing really memorable about it. The scenery was beautiful. But, this movie was mostly forgettable.

Taylor Kinney's character was the weak link. I like him on Chicago Fire, but his character here was really underdeveloped. They couldn't seem to decide if he was a good guy or potentially a bad guy.

I think this was a premise they could have been handled better by a Japanese filmmaker.
Old 04-20-16, 08:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Watching this now. So terrible. Not one iota of enjoyment thus far...