Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are extended episodes (90 minutes to 2 hours) hard to motivate yourself to watch?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you have a hard time motivating yourself to watch extended episodes?
Yes
42.86%
Sometimes
28.57%
No
28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Are extended episodes (90 minutes to 2 hours) hard to motivate yourself to watch?

Old 09-28-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

This issue gets brought up here from time to time.

Do you find it difficult to motivate yourself to watch extended episodes that range from 90 minutes to 2 hours?

Some recent examples from this year:

Texas Rising 5 episodes (each episode was 2 hours)

TUT 3 episodes (each one was 2 hours)

Scream Queens (2 hour premiere)

Law and Order: SVU (2 Hour Premiere)

The Bastard Executioner (2 hour premiere)

Survivor (90 minute premiere)

Heroes: Reborn (2 hour premiere)

The Voice ( 2, 2-hour episodes last week)

CSI (2 hour Series Finale from Sunday)

Extant (2 Hour Season Finale)

Zoo (2 Hour Season Finale)

Once Upon a Time (2 Hour Season finale from last season)

Sons of Anarchy season 7 (practically every episode was 80-90 minutes long)

Is it psychologically daunting knowing you sometimes have 6-10 hours of content to watch in a matter of days for only a couple of shows? The shows above are just examples, so you don't necessarily have to have seen any of them.

I just started watching TUT from Spike that aired this past July. I had the 6 hours unwatched and wasn't really motivated even though I wanted to see it. It was really daunting to watch a 6 hours miniseries right away. Once I dedicated the time, I found I was enjoying it.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-28-15 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Are extended episodes (90 minutes to 2 hours) hard to motivate yourself to watch?

Between live-action, cartoon, and anime I watch ~40 series in a week. I don't have any time for more so I have opted out of picking up new shows that may have interested me as well as dropped some shows that seemed like I had to force myself to actually sit down and watch. Fortunately thus far extended episodes haven't been an issue for me. Though if it becomes common to randomly do them throughout the season I may end up having to put off watching them and let them sit on the DVR until I have the time to dedicate to it.

My current schedule:
Old 09-28-15, 08:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Are extended episodes (90 minutes to 2 hours) hard to motivate yourself to watch?

only when it's a Sutter production.
Old 09-28-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ This poll definitely needed an "only if it's Sutter production" option

On a serious note I don't mind:
1) if a series premier is 2 hours. Either specifically designed to be 2 hours to allow better pacing to introduce the show or as back to back episodes which gives you an idea on a new show in one viewing.
2) if a season finale is extended (any season, not necessarily just a series finale)
3) something specifically designed as short run format (like Tut, although I didn't watch it)

For an established show I don't think a 2 hour premier is needed after the first season, nor any supersized mid-season shows. It's usually just an excuse to bloat the story (or add montages)
Old 09-28-15, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think in the past couple of years, it has become more difficult. I don't mind some of the 2 hour premieres for new shows.
Old 09-28-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

2-hour episodes are more like 80 minutes without the commercials. Though the running time for the free episode of Scream Queens I got on Vudu says 92 minutes.
Old 09-28-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I despise them for the most part as a viewer with dozens of entertainment options. It's intended to hook viewers into the plot and characters before they give up on a new show. Occasionally the two hours are needed since the pilot will end on a dumb cliffhanger or something.

Most long-running shows rarely take advantage of the two-hour format to any benefit. You can always separate the quality writing staffs from the utter hacks by how a series adapts its formula when spread over more time.
Old 09-28-15, 11:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I binge-watch tv shows all the time. A 2 hour episode is nothing.