TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Blindspot (S1E02) -- "A Stray Howl" -- 9/28/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Blindspot (S1E02) -- "A Stray Howl" -- 9/28/15

"A STRAY HOWL"

09/28/2015 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : A CRYPTIC TATTOO SENDS THE TEAM AFTER A FIGHTER PILOT ON A DEADLY MISSION The team unlocks a cryptic tattoo that points to Major Arthur Gibson (guest star Robert Eli), an Air Force pilot with a painful past and a lethal agenda. Jane (Jaimie Alexander) continues to search for clues to her identity and is haunted when flashes of a disturbing memory force her to question her past. Meanwhile, Weller (Sullivan Stapleton) thinks he might know Jane's true identity. Also starring Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson, and Ukweli Roach. Johnny Whitworth, Cotter Smith and Jordana Spiro guest star. TV-14 V
Old 09-28-15, 07:04 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Blindspot (S1E02) -- "A Stray Howl" -- 9/28/15

Back 9 ordered: http://deadline.com/2015/09/blindspo...bc-1201555498/
Old 09-28-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow!! That was fast. It's actually back 9 scripts, but ordering that many is pretty much a lock that this will get a full season order.
Old 09-28-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good 2nd episode. I was surprised about the reveal about Weller's childhood. It's good that the writers aren't dragging that out. Some shows would have dragged that out. We still don't know the whole backstory on that. Also good to see Jordana Spiro on TV.
Old 09-29-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Not bad. Good follow up to last week. We got some more info about Jane and Weller's past as well. I didn't think Stapleton was as dour and stiff in this episode. He actually showed some traits of angry Damien Scott. I liked seeing Jordana Spiro as his sister.

As expected the plot was following one of the tattoos, which led to that crazy drone pilot.

With mystery bearded man inside Jane's apartment, hopefully we'll get some more answers next week. I'm positive this early in the show that Weller's theory about Jane is just a Red Herring.
Old 09-29-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Pretty good episode. I think I watch too much tv because I knew Gibson's house was going to explode, since they showed the FBI team walking towards the porch from a far camera angle. I immediately thought, this shit about to explode.
Old 09-30-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I like how they are tying episodes together, running threads, and letting the surrounding characters interact. Too often shows don't develop an ensemble and give make the characters 3D. I hope this show can find room for the supporting characters to grow. I think that could go a long way to give the show longevity past the initial mystery and tattoo of the week angle.
Old 09-30-15, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm out. It's just a boring, run of the mill network procedural. It's got the stink of a network show all over it. Everything has to be explained a billion times, as if everyone watching is also doing their laundry or something at the same time and not paying attention. And all the contrivances. Ugh! It's like they churn these shows out in the same factory since they all look and feel the same. Also, the characters are lame and boring.
Old 10-01-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm out. It's just a boring, run of the mill network procedural. It's got the stink of a network show all over it. Everything has to be explained a billion times, as if everyone watching is also doing their laundry or something at the same time and not paying attention. And all the contrivances. Ugh! It's like they churn these shows out in the same factory since they all look and feel the same. Also, the characters are lame and boring.
I wouldn't say the characters are lame and boring, they're just conventional.
I just read this comment from the show's creator:

“Our story of the week, so to speak, comes from one of Jane’s tattoos and is close-ended and like a little action movie in and of itself. But then what’s great about the show is that we’re able to do a layered character drama on top of that,” he said, adding, “Certainly, for me, especially when you’re doing 22 [episodes] a year, sometimes you find out about something and you’re like, ‘oh man, I don’t have 22 hours to catch up on the first season.’ And so for us it’s very important that the show has an entry point for anybody at any time.”

In network executive speak, this is considered a "plus", but for me it pretty much tells me everything I need to know about the show, and why I probably should drop it now. Of course, I thought the same when I read an interview with one of the producers of "The Blacklist" and he flat-out said they wouldn't answer the central mystery of the show until the very last episode.
Old 10-01-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

It's like they churn these shows out in the same factory since they all look and feel the same. Also, the characters are lame and boring.
Well, I don't know about characters being "lame and boring", but you're spot-on about all network shows looking the same. I've gravitated towards shows that look like movies: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Utopia (the UK one) and Mr. Robot. When I watch network TV now, it all looks the same, like one company is making all the shows on ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. It's... kind of depressing, actually.
Old 10-02-15, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/blindsp...episode-226021

According to this review, the creator of Blindspot (Martin Gero) says he has the plot framework for 3 seasons already planned. The reviewer does say that most of the dialogue on the show is terrible.

If you're not familiar with Gero's name, he was an Executive Producer/Producer/Writer on Stargate Atlantis, Stargate SG1 and SGU. He recently worked on the 1st season of Dark Matter on SyFy. He has a huge science fiction resume.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1236625/

I've enjoyed Blindspot so far (even though only 2 episodes have aired), but I think Stapleton's Strike Back co-star Winchester has a more fun and action packed show on The Player.
Old 10-02-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RJ8MymqtPyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bill Clinton is a big fan since he's a fan of Stapleton from Strike Back.
Old 10-02-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Clinton watches Strike Back?
Old 10-02-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I feels like it's basically a female version of The Bourne Identity with a dash of 24. After all the hype about action scenes on a TV budget, I haven't been terribly impressed. It's basically settled into a procedural groove after the first episode. I think it's decent time-killer and Alexander is a likes me heroine, but so far, nothing impressive enough to make me buy into the hype.
Old 10-05-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I can see Clinton admiring the Strike Back character.

I liked the second episode and will stick with the show for now.
Old 10-11-15, 10:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After this episode, my interest is dropping. The contrived conflict where he wanted to tell her about the lost girl he thought she was, just a few hours before the DNA test results would be available, made no sense to me. That seemed completely out of his character. And her too-emotional whining all the time about needing to go out on missions and keeping subjects alive to get information about her past also seem contrived. The writing seems bad, even though I like the premise.