Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eighth Season

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eighth Season

Okay guys, what is going on with The Big Bang Theory Season Eight set? I see that almost everywhere I shop, I find it out of stock. It was released on Tuesday the 15 and almost instantly went away.

Now the controversy surrounding this set is the news that they will no longer be including the BLUs as well as the DVDs in a combo pack, but they are still charging the same price. Best Buy and many others are incorrectly listing this set as a combo pack. Now you guys don't have to say if you ordered them or not but if you did, do you think you could successfully argue that this was false advertising and win a discount? Not that you would do such a thing! Nope. Perish the thought!

Even the CBS Store is reporting that it's a combo pack! (And it's out of stock as well.)
Old 09-18-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eighth Season

Well, the third and fourth season releases weren't combo packs either - so this isn't new...it's just not consistent. Seasons 3 and 4 also didn't include digital copies, which sucks if you've been collecting the series on Digital HD.

The MSRP for Season 7 (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD combo) was $54.97 from Warners.

The MSRP for Season 8 (Blu-ray/Digital HD) is $49.99.

So it's just a case of the stores not pricing it down any more.
Old 09-18-15, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterkaga
Okay guys, what is going on with The Big Bang Theory Season Eight set? I see that almost everywhere I shop, I find it out of stock. It was released on Tuesday the 15 and almost instantly went away.
Amazon has it in stock for $27.99

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Bang-T...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 09-18-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Arrow Season 3 also is not packaging DVDs with the blu ray set. Seasons 1 and 2 were initially released as combo and then reverted to blu only several months later. Both shows are produced by Warner Bros.
Old 09-18-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterkaga

Now the controversy surrounding this set is the news that they will no longer be including the BLUs as well as the DVDs in a combo pack, but they are still charging the same price. Best Buy and many others are incorrectly listing this set as a combo pack. Now you guys don't have to say if you ordered them or not but if you did, do you think you could successfully argue that this was false advertising and win a discount? Not that you would do such a thing! Nope. Perish the thought!

Even the CBS Store is reporting that it's a combo pack! (And it's out of stock as well.)
Perhaps that is why it is showing as out of stock many places. Maybe they know there is a mistake somewhere are are attmepting to fix it.

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Arrow Season 3 also is not packaging DVDs with the blu ray set. Seasons 1 and 2 were initially released as combo and then reverted to blu only several months later. Both shows are produced by Warner Bros.
I am on the fence with this trend. I like having the dvds, as they are alot more versatile than the blus. I can play a dvd a heck of a lot more places than I can play a blue ray at the moment. But, I also like the smaller packaging. As with most other members here, I would imagine, shelf space is at a premium. Taking the Arrow season 1 and 2 sets as examples, the blueray/dvd sets are wider than a single dvd case, perhaps twice as wide. That was because there were a full blueray season and a full dvd season inside. I do not know if the blue only sets are slimmer, as I dont own them.
Old 09-18-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Blu-ray-only sets are slimmer than prior releases.
Old 09-18-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Blu-ray-only sets are slimmer than prior releases.
Correct. They use a standard-thickness keepcase, as they only have two discs. Thankfully, they're keeping the cardboard slipcase (so far!).
Old 09-18-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess we should be happy they are still producing blu rays of the series instead of DVD only like Modern Family (Fox) has done the last few seasons.
Old 09-18-15, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I guess we should be happy they are still producing blu rays of the series instead of DVD only like Modern Family (Fox) has done the last few seasons.
Since the show is about sci-fi geeks, perhaps it also sells well to them (I'm in that demographic and I buy it), while shows like Modern Family maybe don't hold that same cross-over appeal with the sci-fi fans.

Seems to be the obvious answer, anyway.
Old 09-18-15, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It comes down to the fact that WB still believes in producing television on Blu-ray.
Old 09-19-15, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually didnt notice the dvds weren't included, but it doesn't really bother me as i have never used the dvds from the other seasons. But as far as yesterday went, when i was at Walmart, they still have there sets out of the newest season. So I don't know maybe just a miss print thinking from past seasons, and they jumped the gun.
Old 09-19-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It comes down to the fact that WB still believes in producing television on Blu-ray.
I wish they felt that way about iZombie, which would seem to fit WHV's usual requirements for a Blu-ray release yet went DVD-only.
Old 09-19-15, 10:30 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jjcool

I am on the fence with this trend. I like having the dvds, as they are alot more versatile than the blus. I can play a dvd a heck of a lot more places than I can play a blue ray at the moment. But, I also like the smaller packaging. As with most other members here, I would imagine, shelf space is at a premium. Taking the Arrow season 1 and 2 sets as examples, the blueray/dvd sets are wider than a single dvd case, perhaps twice as wide. That was because there were a full blueray season and a full dvd season inside. I do not know if the blue only sets are slimmer, as I dont own them.
Dvd's can be nice for those who have laptops with DVD drives. One reason Blu Ray never caught on with the masses may be that laptops never made the switch to blu ray drives but kept with DVD drives.
Old 09-19-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I wish they felt that way about iZombie, which would seem to fit WHV's usual requirements for a Blu-ray release yet went DVD-only.
I think that would have gotten a Blu-ray release if the ratings had been better.
Old 09-19-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesyman
Dvd's can be nice for those who have laptops with DVD drives. One reason Blu Ray never caught on with the masses may be that laptops never made the switch to blu ray drives but kept with DVD drives.
Though nowdays if you get something like a Chromebook, you don't even get a disc drive =/
Old 09-21-15, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I agree. iZombie was a great surprise. Love that show.
Old 09-22-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesyman
Or a portable player, or a car player. THe masses have alot more ability to play a dvd than a blue ray.