Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Old 09-14-15, 01:44 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Playwright Martin McDonagh (The Pillowman, A Behanding in Spokane) actively moved into filmmaking with the short Six Shooter in 2005, and then gave Colin Farrell one of his best roles in the bleak comedy In Bruges.

He’s also had the film Seven Psychopaths, and is promoting a new play called Hangman, which gave the writer/director the opportunity to mention an upcoming film project which just brought Frances McDormand into the fold. The movie is called Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and the subject is one that seems like a direct response to escalating clashes between police and civilians in American cities in the last year.

McDonagh describes the script to The Guardian:

It’s about a 50-year-old woman whose daughter is murdered and she goes to war with the police in her home town, because she thinks they are more interested in torturing black people than getting justice.

In fact, the script is not new — McDonagh has been talking about it since at least the promo campaign for Seven Psychopaths, which took place in 2012. So while this new picture seems like it could have been created in response to the violent clashes in Ferguson or Baltimore, it was originally inspired by older tensions — we’ll see if the script has changed in the last year, or if recent events just make it seem even more relevant.

Interestingly, McDonagh seems to have taken some of the criticism of Seven Psychopaths in stride, and commented to The Guardian that the movie is “maybe a bit too meta.” And he continues to talk about working as a film director in part as a way to protect his scripts. McDonagh is a life-long film fan, and always wanted to write movies.

He told The Playlist in 2012,

…the amount of control for a playwright is almost infinite, so you have that control over the finished product. But in film, you’re the lowest form of life. So that was half of the job of directing, was not letting someone else come in and fuck it up. And then the other half is to learn how the hell you actually do it, which is another kettle of fish.

That last comment is interesting given his latest note about Seven Psychopaths — indeed, part of learning the nuts and bolts of directing is learning how not to mess up your own material, or how to enhance it once it moves from the page to screen.

Now he tells The Guardian that even In Bruges, as quick and sharp as that movie ended up being, was a battle.

In Bruges was relentless and exhausting. I had to deal with them [Focus Films, the production company] trying to change anything they could change. And Focus are supposed to be supportive, indie-filmmaker-friendly people. Scumbags. It was constant war, but they never won.

We don’t know what company is behind Three Billboards, but with McDormand on board hopefully we’ll soon hear a lot more about the film.
http://www.slashfilm.com/martin-mcdo...ces-mcdormand/

I will check out anything McDonagh does.
Old 02-10-16, 04:49 PM

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (D: Martin McDonagh) S: Frances McDorma

Film4 and Fox Searchlight Pictures are teaming up for Martin McDonagh's "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." Last fall, Frances McDormand was said to be starring in the movie, and described the plot. “It’s about a 50-year-old woman, whose daughter is murdered, and she goes to war with the police in her home town because she thinks they are more interested in torturing black people than getting justice,” McDormand explained. And wow, that sounds absolutely intense.

There's no mention of McDormand in the release sent to press, but we'll likely know more soon, as production is gearing up to start in April.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...pring-20160209
Old 03-10-16, 01:42 PM

re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

EXCLUSIVE: Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell are joining Frances McDormand for Martin McDonagh’s Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Fox Searchlight and Film4 are co-financing the film, believed to be about a woman (McDormand), whose daughter is murdered, who then goes to war with the police in her hometown because she thinks they are not interested in pursuing justice.

Billboards was developed by Film4 at an early stage and will be produced by Blueprint Pictures’ Graham Broadbent and Peter Czernin alongside McDonagh. Filming is set to start in April on location in North Carolina. The film will be co-financed equally by Film4 and Fox Searchlight, which will take worldwide distribution rights. Film4 will retain UK TV rights. CAA and Broadbent brokered the rights deal with Fox Searchlight and David Kosse and Harry Dixon negotiated the co-financing deal on behalf of Film4.

The pic sees McDonagh reunite with Harrelson and Rockwell after the trio worked together on Seven Psychopaths. Given McDonagh’s reputation for smart, sharp dialogue — he wrote and directed the terrific dramedy In Bruges with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson — the timely subject matter and stellar cast, expect this one to get plenty of attention when it comes out the other side. Blueprint also produced In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths.
Old 03-23-17, 12:53 PM

re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

REDBAND TRAILER

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jit3YhGx5pU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-23-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Man that looks great. Nothing better than Frances McDormand going all out in a role.
Old 03-23-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Based on the description I had no interest in some sort of sjw movie but that was a damn good trailer!

I'm in the minority who enjoyed Seven Psychopaths more than In Bruges but if word of mouth is good I'll check this out.
Old 03-24-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

at her kicking those kids in the groin.
Old 03-24-17, 01:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

McDonagh is 2 for 2 for me. Even without the great trailer I'd check this one out no questions asked.
Old 03-24-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Just saw this. I am speculating here, but this looks like it could be the greatest film ever made.
Old 03-27-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 03-27-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Great poster. Nice touch with the billboards.
Old 11-06-17, 07:53 AM

This has a limited opening this week.

Currently 96% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thr...bbing_missouri

A lot of Oscar buzz for McDormand.
Old 11-06-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

I'll probably have to wait for a wider release.
Old 11-06-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'll probably have to wait for a wider release.
Yeah, it's playing in all of 4 theaters, usually 2 in LA and 2 in NYC.
Old 11-06-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, it's playing in all of 4 theaters, usually 2 in LA and 2 in NYC.
Even though it wasn't filmed in Missouri, you'd think they throw it in some theaters out here.
Old 11-06-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

This is easily one of my most anticipated movies. I will also need to wait for a wider release.
Old 11-06-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Even though it wasn't filmed in Missouri, you'd think they throw it in some theaters out here.
It's on the marquee as "coming soon" at the Hi-Pointe in St. Louis.
Old 11-06-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I just saw the trailer for this yesterday and thought it looked great. Will probably see it at the show. I think In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths are phenomenal films.
Old 11-06-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Movie looks great, but man is that one horrible title.
Old 11-06-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Movie looks great, but man is that one horrible title.
Every time I quickly scan by it in these threads I think it’s The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.
Old 11-07-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Thanks, haven't been to Hi-Pointe in a while. I hope they have remodeled it.
Old 11-07-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
That encouraging that it should hit this side of the state. I'll keep checking the upcoming movies section of the websites for the usual suspect theaters.
Old 11-08-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just saw the trailer for this yesterday and thought it looked great. Will probably see it at the show. I think In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths are phenomenal films.
Havent seen Seven Psychopaths but In Bruges was an awesome movie. This looks really strong.
Old 11-08-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Non-spoiler talk

I thought this was great, it'll be up for a ton of awards. Francis McDormand will probably win her second Oscar. Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell should both get nominated as well, but if it's only one it'll probably be Rockwell. The movie is very funny throughout but turns darkly dramatic on a dime, you almost feel bad for laughing at something a minute earlier. Will wait for others to see this before diving into some spoiler discussion.
Old 11-08-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

That encouraging that it should hit this side of the state. I'll keep checking the upcoming movies section of the websites for the usual suspect theaters.
I noticed the marquee again the other day and I believe it had a date of Nov 22nd for opening here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.