Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Vincent Price Collection Vol 1 at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vincent Price Collection Vol 1 at Best Buy

Just a head's up before they disappear again. It looks like Best Buy has "The Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1" for $79.99 in stock—Vol 2 is $59.99. This is only a bargain because the scalpers are asking ridiculous prices via Ebay and Amazon. It's likely the last chance to get this set at a reasonable price. I'm thinking Shout! unloaded the last of its inventory with Best Buy after losing the rights. I debated making this purchase because I suspect another distributor might pick up the rights. However, it isn't likely that all of these films will be released again and its not an unreasonable price to pay for a 6 film collection of horror classics...Good luck.
Old 09-11-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Vincent Price Collection Vol 1 at Best Buy

don't bother. a cancellation email will be promptly sent. been there, done that.
Old 09-11-15, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
don't bother. a cancellation email will be promptly sent. been there, done that.
That's odd I already got my confirmation that item will arrive by 9/22. Prevously, people were ordering when it said "backordered" hoping it would ship. It looks like they actiually have it in stock now as it no longer says backordered. My fingers are crossed, hope you are wrong.

Edit: Called and was informed that this item is indeed IN STOCK....I am now feeling confident.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-11-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 11:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Is Volume 1 OOP? I had no idea. Amazon has Volume 2 for $56.58 currently.
Old 09-11-15, 12:16 PM
Banned

Yeah, Shout! lost the rights. Copies have disappeared everywhere and were likely scooped up by resellers. My hunch is that Shout sold off its remaining inventory to Best Buy because this item was labelled "backordered" for quite awhile. It now shows as an in stock item. I have not received a cancellation and I am confident this will indeed ship. My card has been charged and I received confirmation with expected delivery date.

I'm not gonna let too much time pass before I pick up the second volume.
Old 09-11-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Shout! Factory lost the rights to present the films as a "collection".
Old 09-11-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back to Backordered.
Old 09-11-15, 01:02 PM
Banned

You were right.

It shows backordered again and when I check my status now it says the same thing. I called and they said I would know for sure in 14 days whether there will be restock and I told them it is OOP and that is unlikely. The gal I spoke with wondered why it is still listed so she called that department and asked why it was still being offered for sale and was met with the usual clueless response.

When they told me it could take a couple of days for my bank to release the funds I told them it was inept and maybe even unethical to list an item that has clearly been unavailable for weeks as available, take payment before checking inventory status and then giving me an expected delivery date for an item that was never actually in stock.

Do these companies realize how much business they lose by operating in this manner? There is no excuse for this especially for a company that supposedly deals in technology. You would think they had to send some moron down to count the items on hand rather than an actual 21st century inventory system.

Well, I have the bucks for all the James Bond steelbooks again... Oh wait its a Best Buy exclusive.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-11-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Only Volume 1 has gone out of print. Volume 2 is still in print. Apparently Shout lost the rights to one of the films in the first set.
Old 09-11-15, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
You were right.

It shows backordered again and when I check my status now it says the same thing. I called and they said I would know for sure in 14 days whether there will be restock and I told them it is OOP and that is unlikely. The gal I spoke with wondered why it is still listed so she called that department and asked why it was still being offered for sale and was met with the usual clueless response.

When they told me it could take a couple of days for my bank to release the funds I told them it was inept and maybe even unethical to list an item that has clearly been unavailable for weeks as available, take payment before checking inventory status and then giving me an expected delivery date for an item that was never actually in stock.

Do these companies realize how much business they lose by operating in this manner? There is no excuse for this especially for a company that supposedly deals in technology. You would think they had to send some moron down to count the items on hand rather than an actual 21st century inventory system.

Well, I have the bucks for all the James Bond steelbooks again... Oh wait its a Best Buy exclusive.
that set has been showing as available for a long time without actually being. and the only way to confirm that was waiting for the cancellation email after placing an order. several people have had that experience already. its just routine order of business at BestBuy. I used to think Amazon had a better control over inventory but found out just the same way on 'The Throne of Blood' DUAL FORMAT criterion edition. you win some, you lose some...
Old 09-11-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...take payment before checking inventory status...
That's not exactly how it works. When you use a CC or Debit card the vendor places a "hold" on the funds (this is to make sure you actually have enough to cover the purchase). Once a item ships notification is sent to the bank and that temporary "hold" is converted to a payment. Even if they release the "hold" it can take your *bank* several days to actually make those funds available to you again. It's not the vendor's fault. It's how the bank does business.

If you use a Debit card to purchase gas you should be very familiar with this process. Because they don't know how much you'll be spending for gas, they put a hold on the maximum allowed purchase, even if you only get a few $$ worth, and a chunk of "your money" can be unavailable until the actual payment amount processes/clears which can be a couple of days.
Old 09-11-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For Shout! Factory, this was a great way to make sure these sets sold out.
Old 09-11-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Only Volume 1 has gone out of print. Volume 2 is still in print. Apparently Shout lost the rights to one of the films in the first set.
Witchfinder General. The others are AIP, owned lock, stock and barrel by MGM/UA. MGM/UA licensed the European version for dvd. MGM/UA does own the U.S. version THE CONQUEROR WORM. The music score rights may also have something to do with it.
Old 09-11-15, 05:31 PM
Banned

...you win some, you lose some.
Yeah. My hope is that these will be individually re-released by Shout! or another distributor like Kino Lorber. I only have myself to blame because I waited so damn long to pick it up. I've been spending a ton of dough trying to replace catalog titles I sold off a few years back. This has me looking closely at the titles at Shout! that I really want. My priority should be these boutique distributors because there's little likelihood of finding them used down the road—at a palatable price anyway.
Old 09-11-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Ah, well I guess I should have got it when it was in the $30 range then...
Old 09-11-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, Best Buy dropped the VPC Vol 1 product from their website in the last few hours.
Old 09-11-15, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
FYI, Best Buy dropped the VPC Vol 1 product from their website in the last few hours.
It's about friggin' time.
Old 09-12-15, 07:29 AM
Cool New Member

It's about friggin' time.
I've received a $10 certificate for use in-store from Best Buy for ordering the Vincent Price Collection so hopefully they will send you one for your time spent.
Old 09-12-15, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mhurne
I've received a $10 certificate for use in-store from Best Buy for ordering the Vincent Price Collection so hopefully they will send you one for your time spent.
they sent me a cancellation email AND a 'how was your experience at Bestbuy ?' email promptly after that.
Old 09-12-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, now Best Buy canceled one title of my B1G1 free (Halt And Catch Fire) and is shipping the one title that was in stock. I sent a cancelation immediately once I saw this idiocy on my order, telling them why would they cancel a title from the B1G1 order, not email me, and then ship the fucking title that was in stock.

Apparently, they cannot cancel the order...even though the expected delivery is 9-23!

JFC.

So, for those who did a B1G1 order and you have Halt And Catch Fire as one of your titles, check your order as best buy just might cancel your title but ship you the other one...at regular price of course.
Old 09-12-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

On the Price, could some one link to it? I'm not sure which one you're all talking about. I did get a Price box from Fox Connect on one of the sales within the last year.
Old 09-12-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
On the Price, could some one link to it? I'm not sure which one you're all talking about. I did get a Price box from Fox Connect on one of the sales within the last year.
This box is from Scream Factory, not Fox. It is now going for over $170 on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B00DOZNI8Y

Someone can have my copy for the bargain price of only $150.
Old 09-15-15, 08:45 AM
Cool New Member

they sent me a cancellation email AND a 'how was your experience at Bestbuy ?' email promptly after that.
I received that too, but did receive the $10 GC later.
Old 09-15-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

This box is from Scream Factory, not Fox. It is now going for over $170 on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B00DOZNI8Y

Thanks! I have all those films, & have no idea why anyone would pay that kind of coin for it.

Those were all budget MGM titles last year.
Old 09-15-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a signed copy I'll sell for $199.
I'll even let you choose pen or pencil for my signature.