Roku Dropping Support for Older "Classic" Models

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Roku Dropping Support for Older "Classic" Models

Just announced via email today:

Dear Roku customer,

We're writing to you as a valued longstanding customer and owner of a "Classic" Roku player,* made between May 2008-May 2011. We want to let you know about some important service changes for "Classic" Roku players.

...blah blah blah...

Classic Roku players are not able to perform like the current generation of streaming players available today and have a more limited channel selection. As a result, we have made the difficult decision to no longer launch new streaming channels, update existing channels, push firmware updates, or develop the Roku mobile app for Classic Roku players.
Affected models include:

First Generation:
  • Roku HD (N1100)
  • Roku SD (N1050)
  • Roku HD-XR (N1101), (N1000)
Second Generation:
  • Roku HD (2000C)
  • Roku XD (2050X)
  • Roku XDS (2100X)
And these (rare) Netgear Rokus:
  • Netgear XDS (NTV270)
  • Netgear XD (NTV250)

While not unexpected, it's still a blow to those who use Optical Digital Output, who use Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) to connect to non-HDMI TVs, or those who prefer a hardwired 10/100 RJ-45 connection, which will now only be available on a Roku2 XS or Roku-3 device.

The good news is that owners of these "Classic" models can buy a new Roku for 20% off. The bad news of the good news is that the discount is on a per-user basis and you have to use a customized link in the announcement email Roku will send you to get the discounted price.
Old 09-02-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Roku Dropping Support for Older "Classic" Models

I had to quit using my HD-XR last year. It started giving me problems so I did a factory reset and when I went to sign back in they wanted me to sign a terms of use agreement where I agreed to let them monitor everything I watch and sell that information to anyone anywhere. There was no such agreement when I originally bought the damned thing when they first came out. It was more fun back then anyway. I don't think I'll replace mine. My blu-ray player gets a few streaming channels and I'll probably have to buy a new TV soon anyway, so I'll just get one with built-in streaming.
Old 09-02-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Just keep your expectations in check with built-in streaming, they can be a bitch with some configurations with regard to network signal.

No surprise on them getting rid of support for these, most can't use current versions of the included channels -- at least nicer ones like Hulu, Plex and Netflix -- for crap due to hardware bottlenecks.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-02-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

This news sucks as my Roku 2 XS turned into a brick just over a month ago.

Now Netflix continuously loads on my original one.

Blah.
Old 09-03-15, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 2 of those old original boxes. I haven't used them for years. They are just painful to use compared to the newer models, night and day difference. Roku 4 will be announced soon, Ill grab one of those for sure. Hoping for 4K-3D and a hard drive.....
Old 09-03-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by huskerbear
Have 2 of those old original boxes. I haven't used them for years. They are just painful to use compared to the newer models, night and day difference. Roku 4 will be announced soon, Ill grab one of those for sure. Hoping for 4K-3D and a hard drive.....
I don't see them ever adding a hard drive. They're all about streaming, and I'm sure that in their estimation the USB port suffices for adding storage.
Old 09-03-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

boo. I still have an original that I use for the treadmill tv (which only has component HD inputs). I only run netflix and plex on it so hopefully they dont upgrade too soon.
Old 09-03-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Older models haven't lost access to Netflix or Plex yet, I don't think they will particularly soon. Both are using vastly different versions on 2013-and-on Rokus.

No new updates hopefully doesn't mean "No longer work"
Old 09-04-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I had to quit using my HD-XR last year. It started giving me problems so I did a factory reset and when I went to sign back in they wanted me to sign a terms of use agreement where I agreed to let them monitor everything I watch and sell that information to anyone anywhere.
I love my HD-XR! It's got every conceivable pre-HDMI connection (Component video, Composite video, Optical Audio, RCA R/W Audio, WiFi, Ethernet) and works with every conceivable pre-HDMI television set. Yeah, it's slow as molasses compared to the Roku 2 and Roku 3 models I've got, and it's embarassingly slow and clanky compared to the two RokuTV units I've got. But dammit.... It. Just. Worked.
Old 09-06-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

My parents still use one of the originals. I guess we'll see how long Netflix continues to work on those units.
Old 09-06-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case anyone's wondering, the discounted "upgrade" prices included in my email are:

Roku-1: $40 new w/discount (normally $50 new/$40 refurb)
Roku-2: $56 new w/discount (normally $70 new/$50 refurb)
Roku-3: $80 new w/discount (normally $100 new/$70 refurb)

The Roku Stick ($50 new/$40 refurb) is not included in the upgrade offer.

Also, when the Roku-4 is released this Fall/Winter, it is expected to be priced at $100, with the Roku-3 and Roku-2 dropping in price. The Roku-1 will likely be discontinued at that time. So, unless you're in a hurry, the "upgrade" prices look like they'll be close to the permanent prices when the new model is released.
Old 09-08-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I just upgraded my old Roku because I wanted a subscription to Exploitation.TV and I have to say it was worth it. The speed of the Roku 2 (the model I got) is crazy fast, even compared to streaming on my PS3 and Xbox 360. I won't stream off those anymore and will just still with the Roku. I am amazed at the difference.

What's the Roku 4 going to do that the others don't?
Old 09-08-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I just upgraded my old Roku because I wanted a subscription to Exploitation.TV and I have to say it was worth it. The speed of the Roku 2 (the model I got) is crazy fast, even compared to streaming on my PS3 and Xbox 360. I won't stream off those anymore and will just still with the Roku. I am amazed at the difference.

What's the Roku 4 going to do that the others don't?
The current Roku 2 is a 2013 Roku 3 without the fancy remote, and I agree - pretty fantastic device that keeps getting better with time (It's unusual to me to see a piece of tech from a smaller company getting regular updates 2.5 years after release). The speculation is that the Roku 4 will add 4K and hardware H.265 support (aka a much better CPU), among other things.
Old 09-11-15, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Older models haven't lost access to Netflix or Plex yet, I don't think they will particularly soon. Both are using vastly different versions on 2013-and-on Rokus.

No new updates hopefully doesn't mean "No longer work"
As long as they work, it makes those of us happy who don't have to be annoyed by their new features they roll out that we can't shut off on the newer models (like not being able to keep the end credits full screen!!!)
Old 09-15-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
The current Roku 2 is a 2013 Roku 3 without the fancy remote..
I get what you're saying, and not to be pedantic but that's not technically accurate. The Roku 2 has connectivity options (Ethernet Jack, R/W/Y RCA) that the Roku 3 does not. The Roku 3 supports 802.11a WiFi, has a USB port, and a microSD slot that the Roku 2 does not.

Old 09-15-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I get what you're saying, and not to be pedantic but that's not technically accurate. The Roku 2 has connectivity options (Ethernet Jack, R/W/Y RCA) that the Roku 3 does not. The Roku 3 supports 802.11a WiFi, has a USB port, and a microSD slot that the Roku 2 does not.

Though that chart is actually out of date and doesn't seem to include the 4230R (2015 Roku 3) or 4210R (2015 Roku 2) I was referencing.

Both of which I believe have an Ethernet jack (my older Roku 3 also has an ethernet jack) and USB ports. They're also HDMI only afaik.

Roku did a godawful job naming these things

Last edited by RichC2; 09-15-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh - yeah, Roku's penchant for recycling device names has made it damn near impossible to keep things straight. For example, I was personally unaware that the Roku-2 and Roku-3 names were reused when new devices were released this year. Stupid Roku.

We're cool. Thanks for the update.