Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Regal movie theaters begin bag checks

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Regal movie theaters have begun to check bags in response shootings
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Movie theater chain Regal Entertainment Group has begun to check bags in response to shootings at theaters around the country, a procedure it acknowledged on its website was "not without flaws" and would inconvenience guests but provide better security.

It's unclear when the policy began, but several local TV stations reported online that customers noticed the change in Texas, Virginia, Florida and Ohio beginning earlier this month.

Regal spokesman Richard Grover did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday. The Knoxville, Tennessee, company operates some 570 theaters around the country.

On its website, the company says "security issues have become a daily part of our lives in America" and says that bags and backpacks are subject to inspection before entering.
National Amusements Inc.'s Showcase chain, which runs about 30 theaters in the northeastern U.S., says on its website that it has banned backpacks and packages and reserves the right to search purses and bags. It says the policy, which began Aug. 7, will be in place "for the time being."

AMC Theatres spokesman Ryan Noonan said, "we don't comment on security measures publicly." Other chains, including Cinemark and Carmike, did not respond to requests for comment.
Last week, security was tight at the Los Angeles premiere of "Straight Outta Compton," with invited guests made to navigate various barricades and pass through metal detectors before picking up their tickets.
================================================

I for one do not have issue with this. Last week when I saw SOC, I watched every single person that walked into the theater (even though only 20 people were in my showing)
Old 08-21-15, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Regal movie theaters begin bag checks

Fine by me. I don't understand the people who bring in bags/backpacks. Get a coat if you are going to 'sneak' in food.

Wonder what Regal will do when they find food. Kick you out or let you go into the theater. I'd take it to the extreme and bring in an entire BBQ chicken, tub of mashed potatos, thermos of gravy & a teakettle of coffee. If nothing else, to give the checkers a story to tell their coworkers.
Old 08-21-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

If they hope to decrease the amount of outside foods brought into the theater this may work, to an extent. If they plan on preventing theater shootings, this won't do a damn thing.

I feel completely safe now that the 15 year old pimple face teen ripping tickets is also my last line of defense against a mass murderer.

Not that I care too much. I don't think I've ever carried a bag into an movie theater in my life. A lot women, on the other hand, might have a problem with this.
Old 08-21-15, 07:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I normally sneak in my food, but not in a backpack...I use a KFC bucket.
Old 08-21-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Can't wait for the Movie Safety Administration to make me get scanned to go see Infinity Wars in a couple years.
Old 08-21-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

What's funny is that when we went to see Straight Outta Compton screening this past Sunday they only checked my sisters and GF's purses. They were't checking the men for shit.
Old 08-21-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Because this isn't really about security at all, it's about stopping people from bringing food into the theater. If you're bringing a weapon into the theater, you're most likely bringing it on your person, not in a bag.
Old 08-21-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I feel completely safe now that the 15 year old pimple face teen ripping tickets is also my last line of defense against a mass murderer.
Here's what's going to happen....the kid see's the gun and says "Oh, shit!" He freezes; not knowing what to do. The gunman calmly pulls the gun out and starts shooting people in line.
Old 08-21-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Because this isn't really about security at all, it's about stopping people from bringing food into the theater. If you're bringing a weapon into the theater, you're most likely bringing it on your person, not in a bag.
I can see it now: "Honey, can you hide my Snickers bar with the gun in your pocket?"

I walk into my theater all the time with a bottle of water. They have never said anything. Hell, I have had a candy bar in my hand and they won't say shit.
Old 08-21-15, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is about as effective as getting the ticket boy ask every patron "Are you going to shoot up the theater?"
Old 08-21-15, 11:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 08-21-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This is counterproductive. How are people going to bring their guns now to keep everyone safe?

I think we should make an extra window in the projection booth staff snipers in each theater. Maybe Theater Marshals?
Old 08-21-15, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
This is counterproductive. How are people going to bring their guns now to keep everyone safe?

I think we should make an extra window in the projection booth staff snipers in each theater. Maybe Theater Marshals?
As long as they're allowed to pick off people who use their phones during movies, I'm cool with that.
Old 08-21-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Well, so far it's only been white folks shooting up theaters, so what do you think would happen if Biff came into a crowded showing of SOC in a urban-like setting and tried to pop some shots off? That boy would not make it out alive.
Old 08-21-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

They checked my girlfriend's bag last week and didn't say anything about the bottle of water in it.
The ticket seller to our left warned a woman "They will want to look in your bag", but her bag was much bigger.
Wednesday they let me son in just fine with his pocket full o' candy.

I do think it will be an emotional sop if anything - a shooter can kill just as many people in the bag check line as he could in the actual theatre.
Old 08-21-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Just another useless policy/law that is all about appearances and has nothing to do with actual safety. Like "gun free zones".
Old 08-28-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

This is all about theatres covering their asses and limiting liability. It's also about checking bags for contraband M&Ms in the guise of public safety & security.

Every event with a large number of people are vulnerable to a crazed maniac.

The odds of you getting killed in a car accident on the way to a theatre is about 1000 times more likely than being shot by a crazed killer in the theatre.
Old 08-28-15, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I know is that White people and theaters are a dangerous mix. There's a history of the cracker and the theater. It's all bad. Something in the white man's DNA just pushes him to bring a gun to a theater. Actually just White Men. I don't think white women are a danger w/ guns. Maybe with out something else but not guns. Fuck it. White People are the problem about the danger in theaters.
Old 08-28-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If they hope to decrease the amount of outside foods brought into the theater this may work, to an extent. If they plan on preventing theater shootings, this won't do a damn thing.
This.

But this certainly makes my theater or no theater decision much easier going forward. I was already treating going to the theater as an exception given the many other reasons they have given me recently (price, terrible upkeep, not policing people talking/using cell phones, etc.)
Old 08-29-15, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
I normally sneak in my food, but not in a backpack...I use a KFC bucket.
Old 08-29-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe any of these theater shooters went in the front door anyway. I think they snuck in the back or walked in the exit doors while people were leaving.
Old 08-29-15, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So no more exit doors in that case. Exit doors are the issue.
Old 08-29-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

The Dark Knight Rises shooting involved the shooter getting up, going to the exit door, and coming back with a gun and some kind of body armor.

I'm pretty sure the other shootings just involved someone who was already seated in the theater getting up and opening fire with a handgun that they brought into the theater with them.
Old 08-29-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
So no more exit doors in that case. Exit doors are the issue.
Fire code violation.
Old 08-29-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been bringing my own popcorn to the movies for years. I just say that I have high blood pressure and am on a zero sodium diet and have to be sure of what I eat. Of course, my popcorn is loaded with butter, salt and everything else, but it's always worked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.