Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Secret Wars!

Old 08-13-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Secret Wars!

So tonight i decided to dive into secret wars.

I got really interested in secret wars and convergence but then got let down half way through convergence i fell off and stopped reading it and didnt really dive into any secret wars.

so I got a bunch of singles and got my evening planned out.

Anyone reading it? whats a hit and whats a miss? are you enjoying it?
Old 08-13-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Secret Wars!

Convergence sucked. I enjoyed a few series (namely Shazam) but that was more because of the characters and in spite of the unifying story (hey, lets fight to the death, using the same page or two of setup in every single comic, except the rules are kinda different depending on the writer). Maybe it hurts that I didn't read the main series.

I've only read like the first month of Secret Wars, but I like it; sure there's the unifying theme, but the different worlds make it so that you can have a lot of diverse elseworlds stories. I liked Infinity Gauntlet (but I'm a sucker for Nova and Thanos) and Master of Kung Fu the best, I think, and the ones with a collection of shorter stories the least.
Old 08-13-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Convergence started out strong but fell apart by issue 4 i felt and yeah i lost interest in most of the tie ins.

I started out with Masters of Kung Fu and enjoyed it and felt it wrapped up nicely. change of pace from my marathon of fables!
Old 08-13-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've enjoyed it so far, although I haven't read #5 that came out the other day. It hasn't been quite as exciting as I hoped, at least in the main series, but it's been fun. I made a few posts about it in the Marvel Rebooting thread or whatever it's called
Old 08-13-15, 04:27 PM

I'll have to check this out, I've still got the original series from the 80s stashed-away in my collection and always dug the story so this should be pretty cool.
Old 08-13-15, 07:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm sort of anxious to read it and several of the minis. I usually wait until a miniseries or story arc is over before I start it though.

The only one I've kept up on is Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars. The premise is fun, it's a re-telling of the original Secret Wars retconning Deadpool into it as a central character. It's not high art, but I really enjoy the corny 4th wall breaking Deadpool once in awhile, and seeing the original SW from a different angle has been cool.
Old 08-13-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I read masters of kung fu which was a fun read. made me wanna read more Iron Fist titles as my knowledge of him is non existance

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps... read the first two issues and again enjoyed them looking foward to the third issues

and battleworld 1-4 this i wasnt huge on i liked a couple minis but most didnt interest me..blade/howard was cool tho
Old 08-13-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm sort of anxious to read it and several of the minis. I usually wait until a miniseries or story arc is over before I start it though.

The only one I've kept up on is Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars. The premise is fun, it's a re-telling of the original Secret Wars retconning Deadpool into it as a central character. It's not high art, but I really enjoy the corny 4th wall breaking Deadpool once in awhile, and seeing the original SW from a different angle has been cool.
I usually do that but thats how i get behind plus theres WAY too much
which is why i havent touched Infinity and Original Sin yet
Old 08-13-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've heard good things about Deadpool too, I really need to read that one.
Old 08-13-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite tie ins thus far....

Marvel Zombies
Siege
A-Force
Korvac Saga
Inhumans Attilan Rising
The Runaways
The Infinity Gauntlet
Red Skull
Thors
Star lord and Kitty Pryde
Age of Apocalypse

A pretty long list but not even half of what I'm buying.
Old 08-13-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Wake me when the omnibus is available.
Old 08-14-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Secret Wars and the crossovers. The only tie-in I'm truly enjoying is Squadron Sinister. The two I was most interested in (Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows & Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars) feel a bit forced.

I will say the main series is definitely a few steps ahead of Convergence. But not by much. The last 2 issues were pretty dull.

My LCBS says their Marvel sales have dropped drastically since the series started. It's the same drop they saw mid-way through Convergence which they're a bit surprised about. But they figure things should pick up once the new #1s hit in October.
Old 08-14-15, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
My LCBS says their Marvel sales have dropped drastically since the series started. It's the same drop they saw mid-way through Convergence which they're a bit surprised about. But they figure things should pick up once the new #1s hit in October.
In this case your store does not seem to be a very good measuring stick because Secret Wars is absolutely crushing it in sales.

Last edited by sven; 08-14-15 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stores may be buying in bulk (as usual) but we're not seeing "sell outs" at street level. Diamond bases their sales on the stuff the stores buy, not what the customers buy. I hit various stores throughout the month so I see it across the board. There's a store in Pasadena with TONS of these tie-ins just sitting on the shelves. They've reduced their numbers too.
Old 08-14-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

How much do these massive crossovers juice sales anymore?

It was my understanding DC and Marvel continue with them because they help sales of the entire line, especially crossover issues of the less popular comics. But the effect has to have diminished over the years since both companies have gone back to the same well over and over again.
Old 08-14-15, 02:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
In this case your store does not seem to be a very good measuring stick because Secret Wars is absolutely crushing it in sales.
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Stores may be buying in bulk (as usual) but we're not seeing "sell outs" at street level. Diamond bases their sales on the stuff the stores buy, not what the customers buy. I hit various stores throughout the month so I see it across the board. There's a store in Pasadena with TONS of these tie-ins just sitting on the shelves. They've reduced their numbers too.
I think part of the problem is the f'ed up variant cover system. Stores order xxx copies to get x variants; knowing that they can sell the variants for a high premium and make a profit even with xxx normal issues to put in the quarter bins.
Old 08-14-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
How much do these massive crossovers juice sales anymore?

It was my understanding DC and Marvel continue with them because they help sales of the entire line, especially crossover issues of the less popular comics. But the effect has to have diminished over the years since both companies have gone back to the same well over and over again.
Well, they juiced sales from me. I wasn't collecting anything, and so got both Convergence and Secret Wars. Convergence basically made it so that I'm not picking up a DC monthly for a loooong time. Secret Wars actually isn't bad, though I'm not going to add a lot of stuff to my pull list once it's over, I'll probably sample a few.

Neither was really a traditional crossover, but those still do boost sales, which is why they do it; the revamp will also boost sales a bit. But it's the same niche audience, unfortunately.
Old 08-14-15, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, they juiced sales from me. I wasn't collecting anything, and so got both Convergence and Secret Wars. Convergence basically made it so that I'm not picking up a DC monthly for a loooong time. Secret Wars actually isn't bad, though I'm not going to add a lot of stuff to my pull list once it's over, I'll probably sample a few.

Neither was really a traditional crossover, but those still do boost sales, which is why they do it; the revamp will also boost sales a bit. But it's the same niche audience, unfortunately.
Same here. Secret Wars is actually what brought me back to comics. So I went from 0 Marvel titles to 27(main title plus 26 tie-ins) pretty much overnight. Sadly for me I find SW to be far more interesting than what will be coming after so I'll probably drop back down to 8-10 titles a month in October. But that's still a nice gain for them since I wasn't buying anything before.
Old 08-14-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the two shops i goto both said the sales were decent after a few weeks in after certain books got some praise people were coming in to by the past couple weeks releases.

the one shop owner that has A LOT of random people that wander in to browse (which still feels wierd bc my main store has none just people that pick up the pulls) says that this and convergence has been the hardest to move new books to the random customer because people are not getting it.

on another note from those reading are there any books that are directly tied into the main series tha should be read along the the actual event? im gonna start tonight
Old 08-14-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Secret Wars actually isn't bad, though I'm not going to add a lot of stuff to my pull list once it's over, I'll probably sample a few.
Only MCU title I'm going to sample is the new Amazing Spider-Man. I'll give it the one issue chance to woo me. The rest of the new Marvel U looks pretty terrible to me.

Other than that, the only Marvel titles I'm picking up after Secret Wars will be Star Wars, Darth Vader and Miracleman.
Old 08-14-15, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
on another note from those reading are there any books that are directly tied into the main series tha should be read along the the actual event? im gonna start tonight

Siege seems like it's going to play a bigger part in the overall story than most of the other tie-ins.

And if you want to see how a couple of the characters end up in Siege check out A-Force #1 and Secret Wars Journal #1.

Starlord and Kitty Pryde might also play larger part in the grand scheme things as well.
Old 08-14-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the two shops i goto both said the sales were decent after a few weeks in after certain books got some praise people were coming in to by the past couple weeks releases.

the one shop owner that has A LOT of random people that wander in to browse (which still feels wierd bc my main store has none just people that pick up the pulls) says that this and convergence has been the hardest to move new books to the random customer because people are not getting it.

I guess that's true that it would be hard to sell to a random customer, but then if they really want an avengers title to read, I'd think the comic store has a few dozen collections or even some older comics (by that I mean four or so months ago) to recommend. It's not like the non-Secret Wars stuff is all that straightforward to a random customer off the street either.
Old 08-14-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So back on topic I read

secret wars 1-5 and enjoyed them but felt like theres a lot of build up for a 8 issue series as theres three issues left and seems like theres a ton left to be done
Old 08-14-15, 11:22 PM

So back on topic I read

secret wars 1-5 and enjoyed them but felt like theres a lot of build up for a 8 issue series as theres three issues left and seems like theres a ton left to be done
The last two issues will both be longer than normal I believe.

And now that you're caught up on the main series I can tell you that.....

Spoiler:
it looks like 616 Thanos will be the villain in Siege.

And 616 Starlord is the main character of Starlord and Kitty Pryde.
Old 08-26-15, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Marvel announced today that the Secret Wars series is extending to a 9th issue to be published in December. Apparently it won't really effect the big relaunch in October.

Thus far I've enjoyed the main series, even though like most Marvel "events" the middle 4 issues seem to be a big stall fest to allow the line-wide What If? tie-ins play out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.