Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Is there a market for comic crafts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a market for comic crafts

So i went in on a spot at a local flea market to move a bunch of tpb i no longer wanted.

My friend makes wooden signs and tried to sell them there..and while he sold a decent amount he was amazed how much business i got and conversation the comics sparked and the fact I sold all my books and the bookcase i displayed them on.

He asked if there was a market for comic related items he could make.

with that I requested myself a single shelf with a batman logo to display my batman hardcovers.

now theres a LOT of impluse buyers on here would logos, shelf units, decorations be something you think at a decent price you would be interested in?
Old 07-27-15, 09:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Is there a market for comic crafts

I would be, but imagine it more of a have to be local and see his work sort of thing. That plus shipping would be cost prohibitive b
Old 07-27-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I think there are examples of this stuff currently on eBay. Usually they are made for mainstream consumers (ie non-regular comic book readers) that like one of the big comic book icons (Superman, Batman, etc) as casual fans. I think the more hardcore comic book fans would recognize the unlicensed nature of the crafts and shy away.

The most obvious thing that comes to mind if your friend is handy enough are bookends. Something possibly like this:

http://www.iconheroes.com/batman-logo-bookends.html
Old 07-28-15, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drew up a couple designs for some projects

i decided *as Ps brought up* to stay away from logos

Word Balloon shelves
wall signs like the old batman POW! designs
and also wanted to come up with bookend ideas I want a bouncing boy set!

My friend is really good at his trade or else i wouldnt even entertain his ideas. checking ebay thou im amazed how much some stuff is being sold for. factoring the price of supplies for the batman shelf we figured we could sell it for 30$...ebay some sold for 150$.

with staying away from unlicensed material...how does this work with stuff like artists selling prints at shows etc? is it just so small scale they dont care?
Old 07-28-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Check Etsy, there are tons of examples on there.
Old 07-28-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Go ahead and use the famous logos. If this is just a weekend hobby and not meant to be a serious business, I don't believe DC/Marvel will come running after you. There are a lot of unlicensed superhero crafts floating around the Internet at the margins.
Old 07-28-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

As long as the items that are created are unique, one-of-a-kind items you're probably in the clear. If you're selling a nick-knack shelf with a bunch of pages of old comic books glued on it, then you're just selling mutilated comic books. If you start mass-producing stuff, then you'll like,y carch the attention of trademark holders.

On the plus side, most comic books from the 90s are basically worthless, so you can buy lots of X-Men, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and Avengers comic books to cut up for next to nothing.