Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paper Towns (2015, D: Jake Schreier) S: Nat Wolff, Cara Delevingne

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 07:15 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rFGiHm5WMLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paper Towns is a 2015 American teen mystery comedy-drama film, directed by Jake Schreier based on the 2008 novel of the same name by John Green. The film is written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, the same team that wrote Green's first book film adaption. The film stars Cara Delevingne and Nat Wolff. It is set to be released on July 24, 2015 in the United States by 20th Century Fox.

Taking place in Orlando, Florida, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen lives next door to Margo Roth Spiegelman, his childhood friend from whom he has since drifted, but still has feelings for. One night, when she climbs through his window and summons him on an all-night road trip of revenge, he cannot help but follow her lead. The next day, however, Margo doesn't come to school, and after a few days it becomes apparent she's missing. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance that seem to be meant for him to make sense of. But as he gets deeper into the mystery and discovers more about the person Margo actually is, he becomes less sure of who and what he's looking for.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3622592/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm mostly interested in this due to it being from the writer's of The Spectacular Now and director of Robot & Frank.

The Fault In Our Stars wasn't terrible.
Old 07-20-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
Re: Paper Towns (2015, D: Jake Schreier) S: Nat Wolff, Cara Delevingne

I read the book and really enjoyed it. I'm excited to see how they adapt it for the big screen. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see it and avoid the massive crowds of teenage girls.
Old 07-27-15, 09:00 AM

Saw this over the weekend. It was enjoyable. Pretty good soundtrack. I'm surprised this didn't make more money from The Fault In Our Stars crowd. I wonder if that will have any effect the recently announced adaptation of Greene's Looking For Alaska.
Old 07-27-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I read the book and really enjoyed it. I'm excited to see how they adapt it for the big screen. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see it and avoid the massive crowds of teenage girls.
Don't think you need to wait a 'few weeks' - saw it last night, 10 people total in the theatre.
Old 07-27-15, 11:02 AM

Yea, I went to a 4:40pm showing after work on Friday. Only 10 or so people there as well.
Old 07-27-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I love Robot & Frank and the trailers did pique my interest. However, that it's based on a book by the author of The Fault In Our Stars turned me off. I'll maybe catch it on Netflix.
Old 07-27-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Don't think you need to wait a 'few weeks' - saw it last night, 10 people total in the theatre.
I thought it would have made more money than it did. I was figuring around $20 million and it did $12 million. I guess I better go see it or it'll be out of theaters soon with that poor of returns.
Old 07-28-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

I liked it. I knew very little about the film/book going in and thought the young actors did an admirable job.

I did feel like a few parts didn't "fit" or just seemed odd to me. It makes me want to check the book out. One such detail was how Radar's girlfriend, who had been a non-character, suddenly joined the others on the road trip. I was looking a few minutes ago at imdb for the cast info and details and noticed in the trivia section that she didn't go on the trip in the book.
Old 07-30-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got back from watching it. I went to a 12:45pm matinee and my sister and I were the only ones in the theater besides 2 others. I really liked it. There were a few things changed for the movie, but I thought it was a really good adaptation. I highly recommend the book if any of you want to check it out.