Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Double Indemnity now playing at Cinemark, worth seeing in the theater? Also Gremlins

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Double Indemnity now playing at Cinemark, worth seeing in the theater? Also Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have mentioned this earlier, but forgot to. Cinemark is having a summer program where they show Classic movies. Most movies play on Sunday and Wednesday, and the summer program is almost over.

Anyways Double Indemnity is playing today and Wednesday at 2pm and 7pm, and wondering if it's worth seeing in the theater?

I've seen it before, but honestly don't remember anything about it, so I'm basically going in fresh. I'd have to take work of Wednesday to see it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

http://www.cinemark.com/tcm-presents-double-indemnity

Gremlins is playing the 26th and 29th too.
Old 07-19-15, 06:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Double Indemnity now playing at Cinemark, worth seeing in the theater? Also Greml

One of, if not the best, film noirs of all time. Definitely see it.
Old 07-19-15, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Double Indemnity now playing at Cinemark, worth seeing in the theater? Also Greml

I kind of wanted to see it too. Was thinking about tonight but eh.
Old 07-19-15, 06:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think the TCM Summer series is a Fathom Event thing, not specific to Ciinemark. I think there's another thread about it. I did see the Jaws presentation, and I thought it was fantastic. I did want to see DI, but my schedule won't allow it. But I was impressed with the presentation for Jaws, so I'm certain this one will be good as well.
Old 07-20-15, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Worth seeing any way you possibly can. Double Indemnity is to Billy Wilder as Maltese Falcon is to John Huston. Billy Wilders early masterpiece.
Old 07-22-15, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw DI today. I was tired as hell so I struggled to get through it. I stayed awake, it was just a bad idea to do so. I found it funny whenever they'd like a match w/ their thumb. It was like a big moment cuz you could see it coming. Hahahaha.

Damn good movie. Cheeky as hell w/ the dialogue by Neft and Phyllis when they first meet. Damn sexy of a intro for her. Good times. I need to see this stuff Cinemark does more often. I've only watched Ghostbusters, I already owned the BD but it's GB, and I think this now. Even if I own these films they release... if I like them... I'll watch them on the screen.
Old 07-22-15, 10:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I think the TCM Summer series is a Fathom Event thing, not specific to Ciinemark. I think there's another thread about it. I did see the Jaws presentation, and I thought it was fantastic. I did want to see DI, but my schedule won't allow it. But I was impressed with the presentation for Jaws, so I'm certain this one will be good as well.
no these screenings are not Fathom, but corporate DCP distribution/screenings to specific theaters within the chain - I saw 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a few summers back on the ETX screen at the Egyptian 24 in Hanover, Maryland :

Cinemark Classic Series
Old 07-22-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

So much fun seeing Gremlins in theatres, the Alamo Drafthouse shows it at Christmas here in 35mm. Definitely worth going.