Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter Is Dead - Jeff Lindsay (8th & Final Novel of the Series)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seven national bestsellers and eight seasons as one of the most successful shows on television, New York Times bestselling author Jeff Lindsay bids a thrilling farewell to his uniquely twisted and beloved serial killer, Dexter Morgan. Dexter Is Dead is the definitive conclusion of the character who has become a global icon.

Summary:

Spoiler:
Dexter Morgan has burned the candle at both ends for many years. Blood spatter analyst . . . husband . . . father . . . serial killer. And now, for the first time, his world has truly collapsed. Dexter is arrested on charges of murder. He has lost everything—including his wife, his kids, and the loyalty of his sister. Now completely alone, Dexter faces a murder charge (for a crime . . . ironically . . . he did not actually commit). His only chance for freedom lies with his brother, Brian, who has a dark plan to prove Dexter's innocence. But the stakes are deadly, and the epic showdown that lies in Dexter's path may lead, once and for all, to his demise.

Jeff Lindsay's trademark devilish wit and cutting satire have never been sharper. Dexter Is Dead marks the end of a beloved series, but is also Dexter's most satisfying and suspenseful outing yet.

Just starting to read this, but this is supposedly the last book (of course, Sherlock Holmes also died at one point, so never say never...and not having read this yet, I have no idea if that's what happens to Dexter). Even if he does die, I have some thoughts as to how the series could continue, depending on what happens in the book.

And just to note, the book and the show were completely different after the first season, with characters being dead in one medium being alive in the other, different relationships, etc, so don't expect this to coincide with what you may have seen on TV if you haven't been following the books.

And in searching past threads, it seems like I'm one of the very few that continued with the series, which was pretty awful for a book or two, but which actually became much better with the last book. Very curious to see how the series end.
Old 07-21-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Dexter Is Dead - Jeff Lindsay (8th & Final Novel of the Series)

The funny thing is that Lindsay, and the publisher, wanted the series to go on indefinitely. But the series finale of the TV show was so poorly received that it killed most public interest in the character...even the book version. That's why the decision was made to end the series.

As for the book...I liked it.
Old 07-21-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I guess I didn't realize the audience for the books and the series was so closely linked. I've heard that the books go in a pretty different direction than the series did so sort of surprising that book series would end due to the the Showtime series ending/decline in popularity of the show.

I have the first two books. The first one came bundled with the first season and I picked up another with the intent to read it but never did.
Old 07-21-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've heard that the books go in a pretty different direction than the series did
I haven't read the books either. Though I got the impression that the book series declined in popularity in part due to a jumping-the-shark in an entirely differently way than the series. For those that have read the whole series, is it really true that
Spoiler:
Dexter's "dark passenger" was explained as a supernatural entity possessing him?
Old 07-21-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
I haven't read the books either. Though I got the impression that the book series declined in popularity in part due to a jumping-the-shark in an entirely differently way than the series. For those that have read the whole series, is it really true that
Spoiler:
Dexter's "dark passenger" was explained as a supernatural entity possessing him?
Yes. I believe that revelation came from "Dexter In The Dark".
Old 07-21-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the books as good as the first few seasons of Dexter the TV show?
Old 07-22-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Is the books as good as the first few seasons of Dexter the TV show?
The first book is essentially the first season of the TV show with 2 changes to character fates. Other than that they are not similar at all. Each book honestly plays out like an episode of Criminal Minds with Dexter being the hero. There are three big differences between the two:

Spoiler:
Rita is alive in the books. There are supernatural elements to the Dark Passenger in the books. And Dexter develops Cody and Astor into junior Dexters.
Old 07-22-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Spoiler:
I wouldn't have minded Rita being kept alive on the Showtime series. Her death was impactful but the series went downhill after she was killed off. Not sure if it would have been better if she had lived, but it would have saved us having to deal with Dexter trying to have relationships in the later seasons. The thing about the Dark Passenger being supernatural seems kind of weird to me. Kind of curious how that plays out but not sure if I'd like that aspect. The thing about Cody and Astor being trained by Dexter to be like him seems dumb to me.
Old 07-22-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About the Dark Passenger:

Spoiler:
Lindsay dropped the whole supernatural aspect of the Dark Passenger because of how much fans hated it.

And as for Dexter is Dead::

Spoiler:
Really disappointed that he's essentially a sidekick on Brian's adventure. Plus he forgets he has kids, and when Debra reminds him, he's indifferent. While I know that he's cold, that didn't really ring true to me. I was surprised that there wasn't more of Cody and Astor learning more of the Dexter's tricks, and fully expect that should Dexter not come back from the supposed dead in another book, the series could be extended with Cody and Astor taking up his cause as a team
Old 07-22-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
The first book is essentially the first season of the TV show with 2 changes to character fates. Other than that they are not similar at all. Each book honestly plays out like an episode of Criminal Minds with Dexter being the hero. There are three big differences between the two:

Spoiler:
Rita is alive in the books. There are supernatural elements to the Dark Passenger in the books. And Dexter develops Cody and Astor into junior Dexters.
I can see the second one. On the show, I kind of had that feeling they were teasing it, but never went with it. That could be a fun read.
Old 07-27-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I didn't realize the audience for the books and the series was so closely linked. I've heard that the books go in a pretty different direction than the series did so sort of surprising that book series would end due to the the Showtime series ending/decline in popularity of the show.

I have the first two books. The first one came bundled with the first season and I picked up another with the intent to read it but never did.
I got all the paperbacks that were then out (4? 5? 6?) when Borders closed, and read at least four, but the next one flatly refused to come out in paperback - thanks, America - so I drifted away and haven't come back yet.

I enjoyed those four or so, and intend to get back to them someday.
Old 08-21-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking

And as for Dexter is Dead::

Spoiler:
Really disappointed that he's essentially a sidekick on Brian's adventure. Plus he forgets he has kids, and when Debra reminds him, he's indifferent. While I know that he's cold, that didn't really ring true to me. I was surprised that there wasn't more of Cody and Astor learning more of the Dexter's tricks, and fully expect that should Dexter not come back from the supposed dead in another book, the series could be extended with Cody and Astor taking up his cause as a team
I've read the first two books and what stuck me as a subtle but significant difference between the two mediums is that in the books he really does seem cold and uncaring about everyone, including his family, whereas on the TV show I got the sense that he does care about the people close to him and rather than being a sociopath he had some kind of detachment or dissociation disorder which made him think he was a sociopath.
Old 10-09-15, 12:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Just finished it...

Spoiler:
I guess I'm the only one who didn't find the ending as definitive that Dexter was dead? It ends abruptly with no epilogue, and I would like to think of him as dead. But the way Lindsay wrote it, I thought he left the door open a crack just in case he had a reason to change his mind?