Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Back to the Future: The Animated Series- Coming in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Back to the Future: The Animated Series- Coming in 2015

Back to the Future - Co-Creator/Producer Says The Animated Series is Coming to DVD!
'This year' says Bob Gale, in an interview at San Diego Comic Con!Posted by David Lambert
We've been teasing this one for 10 years now...ten long years! Back in January 2005 we showed you the clues that Universal had reserved a URL for the Back to the Future animated series on DVD. At the time, going to that URL brought you to an error page, and ten years later it STILL does! Then, in 2008, we passed along fresh rumors about the cartoon series coming to DVD...but alas, nothing ever happened.

What would it take this time to get us to believe that Back to the Future's animated series is coming to DVD? How about...word from THE MAN himself!!! As we all know, the BTTF franchise began with the 1985 live-action theatrical film written by Robert Zemeckis (who also directed) and Bob Gale (who also co-produced). And, as you may or may not know, Zemeckis recently went on record saying that he an Gale own all the veto power necessary to assure fans that there will never be a sequel or remake of BTTF in his lifetime. So at this past weekend's 2015 San Diego Comic Con, Bob Gale was being interviewed, and assured fans that he was firm on this stance with Zemeckis.

The interview, seen below in an embedded YouTube video, was mostly about the role of Back to the Future characters (Marty McFly, Doc Brown, etc.) and props (the DeLorean, etc.) in the upcoming Lego Dimensions videogame, featuring the characters of Doctor Who getting mashed-up with Lego Movie characters Wyldstyle, her boyfriend Batman, and Gandalf (see the trailer here). But in the 6-minute video, at the 5:27 mark, Gale says the following:
"And then, uh, the Back to the Future animated series, that's finally going to come out on DVD this year, so people get to see all those great episodes. They're not exactly, you know, whether we want to say that they're canon or not. On the other hand, if you have a time machine, everything is canon. You can change times, you can go through alternate timelines, everything can happen."
And that quote from Bob Gale is precisely ALL the info we have on this right now. The CBS show, executive produced by Gale, ran on Saturday mornings in 1991-92 for two seasons of 13 episodes each (26 in all). While episodes were previously available on VHS tape, it's never been released on DVD before. We're excited to bring you this news! Stay tuned for updates, as further developments occur. Our thanks to longtime reader Anthony DiPaola for the heads-up!
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Future-...#ixzz3fp0jEsC0

Honestly the show wasn't the greatest or anything but I love the Back to the Future franchise in general and its been a grail that I've wanted for a long, long time. I can't believe that its taken so long to be released but glad its finally in the works.
Old 07-13-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Back to the Future: The Animated Series- Coming in 2015

I honestly don't remember that at all. If the price is alright, I might check it out.
Old 07-13-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was really more of a kids show that was on Saturday mornings. I don't remember it the greatest but I know I watched it occasionally. The best parts about it were in each episode Christopher Lloyd would cameo as Doc for some kind of experiment or other bit at the beginning and end of each episode.
Old 07-13-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Really excited for this. Glad to see older shows/cartoons are still getting life on DVD.
Old 07-14-15, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was also a Back to the Future comic book from Harvey, based on the animated series.
Old 07-14-15, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick and Morty already fulfills any need for a BTTF cartoon. Just sayin' =)
Old 07-14-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digidoh
There was also a Back to the Future comic book from Harvey, based on the animated series.
Speaking of comic books and the franchise there's a four part mini series being done by IDW. First issue comes out in October and the series is going to be partly a prequel and also will fill in some of the gaps in the timeline.
Old 07-14-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The IDW series looks interesting but I'm not a fan of the artist. I'm waiting until the first issue to see if I'm taking the plunge.
Old 07-14-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its only four issues so it isn't a big commitment. Unless it gets picked up as a full series later on or something. From what's been shown of the art I think it looks pretty good I guess. It doesn't seem terribly stylized or anything but just an animated version of the characters and props from the films.
Old 07-14-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
It was really more of a kids show that was on Saturday mornings.
In 91/92, I was 14/15, so I was probably at the point where I was really outgrowing Saturday morning cartoons. Still interested in checking this out. And my son would probably enjoy it too.
Old 07-16-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
In 91/92, I was 14/15, so I was probably at the point where I was really outgrowing Saturday morning cartoons. Still interested in checking this out. And my son would probably enjoy it too.
Full press release and all the pertinent information on this set listed below...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fut...d-Series/21323
Old 07-16-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to post this. I'd buy the Blu-ray set plus the TV series but already have the Blu-ray set of the movies. I'll probably just get the box set for the series.
Old 07-16-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmw650
Full press release and all the pertinent information on this set listed below...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fut...d-Series/21323
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-22-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Thanks for the info!
Sure thing AND jut found out something more about the animated series as well..."Here’s a bit more cool Universal news: The studio has set Back to the Future: The Complete Animated Series for separate 4-disc DVD-only release on 10/20. That will be welcome information for those of you who already have the films on Blu-ray but just want the TV series."

The following info came from Bill Hunt's www.thedigitalbits.com website...http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/072215_1415