Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question re: my Samsung Blu player scratching a DVD - anyone else had this happen?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question re: my Samsung Blu player scratching a DVD - anyone else had this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey everyone. I know a lot of folks on here are more technically-savvy than I am - so I just wanted to run this past everyone, since someone may be able to provide some insight on this:

I got a new Samsung Blu player in late 2012, and everything has been going well - It's the first Blu player I've purchased, and I've overall been happy with this.

However, a problem came up recently that I had never experienced before: I played my Land of the Dead regular DVD for the first time on this player. The movie itself played fine, but after I watched the film I wanted to check out the bonus features. At one point while checking them out, I clicked the "Back" arrow to go to the previous page (there were two pages of bonus features), and the player started making this hellacious noise that I had never heard before. I then pressed "Stop" & went back to the main menu of the player (not the main menu of the Disc) - and then pressed Eject.

I then looked at the LOTD DVD itself, and there is now a perfect round scratched circle on the surface of the Disk itself, directly around the middle open circle on the DVD. I'm fairly certain this scratch wasn't there before, though to be honest am not 100% sure about this.

Note:

1) The DVD was placed in the player properly, since the movie itself played fine.

2) This type of thing has never happened before with this Blu player.

2) I subsequently played other DVD's on this same Samsung Blu player, and they worked fine.

In any case, I'm not planning on putting this LOTD DVD back in this Blu player; in fact, I'll probably try to recycle this DVD since I'm not comfortable playing it on any other player at this point.

However, I just wanted to see what others thought - does it sound like the problem was with the Blu player, or was the problem with the DVD itself?

Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen with their Blu players?

Thanks in advance for any info. on this!
Old 07-05-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: Question re: my Samsung Blu player scratching a DVD - anyone else had this happen

Not a blu-ray player, but the slot-loading DVD burner in my laptop once scratched up a DVD like that.

It also puts straight scratches on the top of discs when it loads them or ejects them.
Old 07-05-15, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question re: my Samsung Blu player scratching a DVD - anyone else had this happen

I had a brand new car cd player that would scatch a circle on every other cd I put in it, I took the thing back. The slot loaders are notorious for putting straight scratches on a disc, the least little bit of contamination will cause it.

Because you have had the player since 2012 and this is the first problem I would suspect some sort of debris on the on the lens or the tray. Opening and cleaning the unit might be the fix you need

Some Other Reasons Include.
1 Slightly warped disc causing excessive vibration (A good possibility)
2 A mechanical problem with the player, possible something came loose or broke (A possibility)
3 The Player being moved or jarred while playing the disc
4 Could be a one time thing and not happen anymore (I find this extremely unlikely)
5 Something else not listed here (Some other problem with the player itself)
Old 07-06-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I suspect it had more to do with the disc. The special features were likely on an area of the disc that started causing internal vibrations in the Blu-ray's motor/laser lens. Some DVDs/CDs can play okay but have deformities in certain areas or are unbalanced. It may have never happened if you didn't play the special features.
Old 07-29-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Was the disc an ex-rental that had a single sticker on one side of the disc?

A single sticker on one side of the disc can cause the disc to become unbalanced while spinning. Round "doughnut" stickers that cover the disc surface evenly are much less prone to this.