Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bond Ultimate Edition Box Sets - DVD Rot

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Bond Ultimate Edition Box Sets - DVD Rot

How many of us own those James Bond Ultimate Edition Box Sets? Probably quote a few of us!

Well, I've been going through them and rewatching and have been terribly disappointed. At this time I have rewatched 10 of them and out of 10 - 5 of them have not been able to play to the end. I think it is just about the point where they reach the layer change and they just absolutely refuse to continue beyond the layer change. I have tried them in 2 different DVD players as well as the DVD player on my computer and also an external DVD player which I have. This is just ridiculous!

So, out of ten Bond movies I have been actually only been able to rewatch 5 of them and have cursed at MGM about the other 5.

Anybody else? Anybody try to get them replaced? I know that I have tried to get MGM to replace defective DVD's in the past with no success.

Anybody know somebody who can get replacements?
Old 06-28-15, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Bond Ultimate Edition Box Sets - DVD Rot

By the way, I purchased these Box Sets in February 2007, so they are only 8.5 years old and each has only been watched twice before this.
Old 06-30-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My "Goldeneye" from the US 20-film set had disc rot, I got that exchanged, but that was the only one. As for the others I will have to check.
Old 06-30-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks manicsounds. Yeah, after I made this post I thought maybe a bunch of people would check and then report back, but I guess people don't really care that much. Even just to try playing some of the DVDs without watching, while doing housework or computer work and then coming back an hour later to see if the picture is frozen.
Old 07-02-15, 10:34 AM

As it happens, I have one of these box sets and I've been rewatching the movies lately, but I haven't encountered any problems on TMWTGG, Goldfinger, or The Living Daylights so far. I'll report back if I see anything on TWINE or Diamonds are Forever.
Old 07-02-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Whenever anyone encounters this much rot on one set, I ask are you sure it's not a bootleg? Large DVD box sets like the Bonds are heavily bootlegged and counterfeited.
Old 07-02-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would certainly hope that it's not a bootleg set - bought it directly from Amazon and NOT a marketplace seller. It contains all of the flyers and papers and all of the packaging certainly appears genuine.
Old 07-02-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I plugged in a disc at random (Goldeneye) and it played fine. Tomorrow evening I'll plug in a Connery and see how that goes.
Old 08-10-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I ran into this problem several years ago, actually. I kind of recall even asking about it in a thread somewhere around here at the time, though I'm far too lazy to search for it. I attributed some of the playback issues to the cantankerousness of the DVD player I was using at the time, but even at that, there was a conspicuously higher incidence of playback issues with the 007 UE DVD's than with other discs I owned. My Blu-ray player can be finicky about DVD's, too, so I figured there was little reason keeping discs that consistently had issues on either of my players.

As I recall, I tended to notice more glitching with audio commentaries than with watching the movies themselves. I also recall being especially frustrated at playback issues with From Russia with Love.
Old 08-26-15, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I ran into this problem several years ago, actually. I kind of recall even asking about it in a thread somewhere around here at the time, though I'm far too lazy to search for it. I attributed some of the playback issues to the cantankerousness of the DVD player I was using at the time, but even at that, there was a conspicuously higher incidence of playback issues with the 007 UE DVD's than with other discs I owned. My Blu-ray player can be finicky about DVD's, too, so I figured there was little reason keeping discs that consistently had issues on either of my players.

As I recall, I tended to notice more glitching with audio commentaries than with watching the movies themselves. I also recall being especially frustrated at playback issues with From Russia with Love.
Old 08-27-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Judging by the original release dates (ie. late 2006), wonder if these sets were just old MGM discs inventory that Sony packaged up into these four box sets. Sony only handled MGM stuff for about a year or so.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may...iness/fi-mgm31

(ie. An easy way to wash their hands of old inventory collecting dust in MGM's warehouses).
Old 08-27-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

A few of my old MGM James Bond dvd discs released before 2006, were starting to develop bad sectors too.
Old 08-28-15, 10:19 AM

I just had all of mine out a couple of months ago as I ripped them to my media server. No issues with any of the discs.