DVD Talk
Vcd Collectors [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Vcd Collectors

VcdCollectors
06-22-15, 07:54 AM
anybody here own vcd movies?

i own some as they are very cheap to buy where i live at second hand stores for like $1 all but 2 of the vcds i own are legit

the 2 that are not legit are filmed in a movie theater

i own about 40vcd movies might be more have not counted them

my fave vcd i own is collateral damage still sealed :)

DVD Josh
06-22-15, 08:31 AM
You and Alan Smithee can trade stories about messy apartments and dead technologies.

coyoteblue
06-22-15, 09:57 AM
You and Alan Smithee can trade stories about messy apartments and dead technologies.

I own a handful, mostly of Asian movies (and one Turkish movie) otherwise unavailable.

VCDs aren't a dead medium, though you'd think dvd would have completely supplanted them by now, but dirt cheap and good enough, still have their place, especially in countries where a day's wages may be a fraction of what a Westerner may make.

Ash Ketchum
06-22-15, 01:24 PM
I once went through a period of buying lots of Hong Kong and Taiwanese movies on VCD because it was a good, cheap way to sample unknown films and if I liked them I'd upgrade to DVD when possible. Some of them, of course, were never available on DVD.

Also, when Celestial started distributing Shaw Bros. movies on R3 DVD, they got into the habit of releasing them on VCD as well, so I would pick up copies of the most desired titles so I could share them with fans who didn't have all-region players. At some point they started releasing some Shaw titles on VCD only, so I wound up buying a lot of those. I still have tons to watch.

DJariya
06-22-15, 01:34 PM
I just got back from a trip to Asia, including Hong Kong, and VCD's are still quite available there.

Blu-Rays are very expensive in Hong Kong. Sometimes costing up to $30 a piece, while the picture quality of VCD's suck, it's an affordable way for most HK people to get new movies.

Alan Smithee
06-22-15, 04:54 PM

I have a few of the Philips VCD movies, made for their CDI players but will still play on any VCD-capable player. These things were not a good idea- the picture is worse than VHS and you have to switch discs in the middle of a movie due to time. They might've been part of the learning curve for DVD though. Since VCDs don't have subtitle tracks like DVD does, Asian discs have subtitles on the picture that can't be turned off, which is annoying.

dvdshonna
06-22-15, 04:57 PM
Can you play VCDs on DVD players?

Edit: Yes you can (I did a search). Which would make them more collectible than VHS tapes.

manicsounds
06-22-15, 10:21 PM
Whatever happened to banned Joshboy? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/611063-buying-vcd.html)

sracer
06-23-15, 02:42 PM
anybody here own vcd movies?

i own some as they are very cheap to buy where i live at second hand stores for like $1 all but 2 of the vcds i own are legit

the 2 that are not legit are filmed in a movie theater

i own about 40vcd movies might be more have not counted them

I have a few. My favorite is the Star Wars boxset.

dvd-4-life
06-23-15, 04:08 PM
What online e-tailers sell legit vcds?

EdTheRipper
06-23-15, 05:25 PM
Whatever happened to banned Joshboy? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/611063-buying-vcd.html)

Sometimes they come back...for more!

VcdCollectors
06-23-15, 09:20 PM
What online e-tailers sell legit vcds?

yesasia

and there are still companies like magnavision and others still making new movies on vcd

shadokitty
06-23-15, 09:23 PM
Before I had the DVD of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, I had bought a VCD Copy of Godzilla X Mechagodzilla at G-Fest one year, because it was cheaper than the DVD. Part 1 of the VCD cracked one day though, so I no longer have it.

VcdCollectors
06-24-15, 06:43 AM
Before I had the DVD of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, I had bought a VCD Copy of Godzilla X Mechagodzilla at G-Fest one year, because it was cheaper than the DVD. Part 1 of the VCD cracked one day though, so I no longer have it.

i have that on vcd good m0vie

Eddie W
06-24-15, 10:23 AM

How can this be your favorite VCD if you have never opened it?

VcdCollectors
07-08-15, 04:11 AM
How can this be your favorite VCD if you have never opened it?

i love it

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0