Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal Monster Legacy Collections

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Monster Legacy Collections

I was wondering if anybody knew any differences between the Universal Monster Legacy Collections. I checked on Amazon and found two different editions of DVDs with similar titles; I've included links for the Frankenstein movies for reference.

http ://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TJYXBG5VL.jpg
http ://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91w5WljMS7L._SL1500_.jpg

Are there any differences between the two?
Old 06-09-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: Universal Monster Legacy Collections

Yes. Major depending on your outlook.

First one: DVD18s (DS/DL - very problematic). It's a book-like digipak in a nice slipcase. Excellent presentation, poor execution (lots of issues with freezing/stuttering/etc. on the discs).

Second one: Re-release on SS discs. The main title, Frankenstein, as well as Bride of Frankenstein are the remastered prints used for the BR box set. All titles are in a multi-disc Amaray type case. I like the packaging on this better mainly because I dislike digipak packaging but it doesn't look as cool.

Titles are slightly different as Universal includes crossover titles containing the main character of a set in the new SS releases. That means the Frankenstein set also includes Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Dracula, and Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein in addition to all the titles included in the first release. Because of this the titles featuring several monsters appear multiple times across the various sets.

IMHO you should purchase the newer set on SS discs. The same holds true for the rest of the Legacy Collections with the primary title in each release (except for the two in the Frankenstein set) being the remastered print struck for the BR releases. If you're a fan of the entire series go for the box set as it has all the Legacy Collections in a very nice box at a good discount. It perodically goes on sale for ~$85 or less.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-10-15 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 12:21 AM

Actually, the second one has more titles. The first contains only the movies considered to be in the Frankenstein series (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein). The second one has all the movies that feature Frankenstein (adding Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Dracula, and Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein). With the recent releases, if you're a fan on more than one monster, you're better off picking up the complete classic monsters set rather than getting the individual sets because there is a lot of overlap. Like House of Dracula is on the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets.
Old 06-10-15, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

^That's correct. In spite of owing both I totally forgot about Universal changing the contents to include the crossover titles! I tend to watch them in order and skip all those dupicates. Fixed!
Old 06-21-15, 10:14 AM

Universal so famous