Reload this Page >

Master of Orion reboot coming

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-09-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm cautiously optimistic. Master of Orion is one of my favorite games... I'd love a console port, too.

Check the link for a teaser video and screenshots.

<hr/>

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/9/8746...world-of-tanks

Master of Orion, the classic turn-based strategy game series dormant since for more then a decade, is back with better graphics and refocused gameplay thanks to an injection of developers and money by World of Tanks publisher Wargaming.

Wargaming purchased the rights to the Master of Orion property in 2013 during an Atari bankruptcy auction. Today, the company announced its plans to reboot Master of Orion, developing the first game in the series since 2003's Master of Orion 3.

While Wargaming originally made a name for itself with the science fiction strategy game Massive Assault, the company decided to bring on Argentinian-based NGD Studios to create the reboot with the help of key members from the original game's team.

Players can expect a revamped user interface, an orchestral score from the original game's composer, voiceovers by well-known actors, new user tutorials, according to the announcement.

"Master of Orion is a game that brings Wargaming truly back to its roots, not only as a company but also in how it influenced my personal interest in both games and making them," said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming. "The series' iconic gameplay has stood the test of time and working with NGD Studios to bring the series back to life is a truly exciting moment for the team."

Andrés Chilkowski, co-founder and CEO of NGD Studios, said the studio has made many improvements to the over all game, but that it retained its classic gameplay.

As with previous games in the series, players will manage colonies and populations; choose how much to focus on research, production, resources, military power; and race to be the first to conquer the stars.

The game will still allow players to win through conquest, diplomacy, technology or economy, according to Wargaming, and players will still have to worry over their civilization's morale, pollution, taxes and defenses. Random events and anomalies will add variety to gameplay as well.

When it's finished, the game will include the series' original races: Alkari, Bulrathi, Darlok, Human, Klackon, Psilon, Meklar, Mrrshan, Sakkra and Silicoids. There will also be six different ship classes for each race and the ability to customize a ship's missiles, engines, armor, shields, scanners, bombs and lasers. The game will include more than 75 future technologies with hundreds of advancements.

Kislyi said Wargaming was "more than willing to give a new lease of life" to Master of Orion back when the company purchased rights to the series.

Check back later this week for our interview with the developers of the reboot.
Old 06-09-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Master of Orion reboot coming

Crossing my fingers. I played the shit out of this game back in the day. And Master of Magic too.
Old 06-09-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Moo.
Old 06-09-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Crossing my fingers. I played the shit out of this game back in the day. And Master of Magic too.
I would so get back into computer gaming for both Master of Orion and Master of Magic.
Old 06-09-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Tactical space combat made some games interminable. Not that there was anything WRONG with that...

Wonder if Creativity will still trump all?
Old 06-09-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopeful for a console port of any sort, I have little time to mess with PC games these days and my computer isn't good for much (except surfing and writing).
Old 06-09-15, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Hopeful for a console port of any sort, I have little time to mess with PC games these days and my computer isn't good for much (except surfing and writing).
You can build a pretty good gaming PC for $500-$600 that is more powerful than the PS4/Xbone. Gone are the days where you had to spend thousands of dollars for a gaming PC. Plus, with dirt cheap Steam sales, you can easily make up for the higher hardware cost with cheap software prices.
Old 06-09-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I liked Master of Orion, I'd rather have a Master of Magic reboot. Casting the spell that destroyed the world while making you more powerful with every turn was the bomb.