Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The inspiration for "A Beautiful Mind" John Nash & his wife die in taxi accident

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The inspiration for "A Beautiful Mind" John Nash & his wife die in taxi accident

Old 05-24-15, 09:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/24/us/fea...led/index.html

John Forbes Nash Jr., the famed mathematician and inspiration for the film "A Beautiful Mind," and his wife died in a car crash Saturday in New Jersey, according to state police.

Nash, 86, and wife Alicia Nash, 82, were riding in a taxi near Monroe Township when the incident occurred, State Police Sgt. 1st Class Gregory Williams said.

They were traveling southbound in the left lane when the taxi went out of control while trying to pass another car, Williams said.

The car crashed into the guard rail, and the couple was ejected from the vehicle. They were pronounced dead at the scene.

The taxi driver, Tarek Girgis, was sent to Robert Wood Johnson hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. A passenger in the other car was transported by ground to Princeton University Hospital complaining of neck pain.

No charges been filed in the accident, which is still under investigation, Williams said.

Nash, who won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1994, struggled for a long time with schizophrenia, according to Princeton University's biography of him. Nash received his Ph. D. from Princeton.

Russell Crowe played a character loosely based on Nash in the Oscar-winning film "A Beautiful Mind."

Nash accepted the 2015 Abel Prize in Norway last week for mathematical contributions.
Old 05-24-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: The inspiration for "A Beautiful Mind" John Nash & his wife die in taxi accident

I hate seeing people make it to their 80s/90s and dying horrific violent deaths. But then I guess it sucks for anyone to die, much less a horrific violent death.
Old 05-24-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts
Re: The inspiration for "A Beautiful Mind" John Nash & his wife die in taxi accident

Damn.
Old 05-24-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I have never been in a taxi before, so I only base this on the countless times I've watched someone climb into one in movies/television--it seems as if no one ever buckles their seat belt in the rear of these. Is it safe to say that's the norm? It would seem to make this tragedy somewhat avoidable since the driver suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Regardless, sad to hear.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 05-24-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 01:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I've only been in a taxi a dozen or so times in my life, but I don't think I ever used a seatbelt. I'm not sure why not, I use one 100% of the time otherwise, it just seems like no one around ever does either.
Old 05-24-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

That is a terrible way to go.
Old 05-24-15, 09:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i heard they are preserving his brain and shipping it to the Smithsonian.