Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"You Really Got Me" - Kinks biopic to be directed by Julien Temple (2016)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Biopic about The Kinks is on the way from director Julien Temple

As a huge Kinks fan, I'm excited for this. I think you could make a compelling story entered around the relationship between the Davies brothers. And anything to inspire people to check out the richness of their vast catalog is worth the endeavor!

Last year, The Kinks commemorated their 50th anniversary with The Essential Kinks, a career-spanning anthology which featured exclusive liner notes from David Bowie. Now, the iconic British rockers will be further remembered with a new biopic aptly titled You Really Got Me.

On hand to direct will be Julien Temple, best known for his Sex Pistols-centric film The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle and Glastonbury, a rockumentary detailing the history of the UK festival. You Really Got Me will reportedly focus on the tumultuous relationship between Kinks brothers Ray and Dave Davies.

“This is an exciting chance to tell the Kinks’ story in a visceral and real way,” Temple recently told Screen Daily. “The lyrics of The Kinks have always been fascinating to me and there is an amazing human story here as well which has yet to be captured on film.”

Singer-songwriter/actor Johnny Flynn (Song One) and George MacKay (Pride) are set to portray Ray and Dave Davies, respectively. Juno Temple, Julien’s daughter, will play Ray Davis’ former wife, Rasa, who sometimes contributed to the band.

You Really Got Me has supposedly been a “long-time passion project” of producer Jeremy Thomas, who worked on 1988’s “Best Picture” Oscar-winner The Last Emperor. He’s since secured the rights to both brothers’ autobiographies and has tapped Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais to write the script. The film is scheduled to begin shooting later this year.
Old 05-18-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "You Really Got Me" - Kinks biopic to be directed by Julien Temple (2016)

Hokey, don't know if you ever saw this one from a few years ago---a lot of fun and worth checking out:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J5oJRPjOd3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-18-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I remember seeing the trailer and then... the last I've heard, Ray had been blocking the release. Did it ever get issued?
Old 05-18-15, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's so much I don't know about Hokeyboy....
Old 05-18-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^I remember seeing the trailer and then... the last I've heard, Ray had been blocking the release. Did it ever get issued?
I honestly don't know what the release status is. I saw it at a local art-house theater with the director presenting it several years ago, and haven't really searched it out since then.
Old 05-18-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
There's so much I don't know about Hokeyboy....
Fun Fact: I perfected the use of concertina wire as an assassination weapon.

NO WAIT, that wasn't me. I can sing all the Antonio Banderas parts from 'Evita' #nohomo