DVD Talk
The 6th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion Thread [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : The 6th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion Thread

shadokitty
05-01-15, 05:54 PM
Its that time folks. Time for the Historical Appreciation Challenge. I took it over since Travis bowed out.

In a nutshell, here are the basics:
This challenge will run from dusk on 31 May until dawn on 1 July 2015.
Movies and TV content specifically about a historical figure, event or period are eligible.
Tangential content (i.e., fantasy, time travel, movies merely set in a generic "past" where the time period is not emphasized as important) is to be excluded, except...
The final night of the challenge, from dusk on 30 June until dawn on 1 July, you may watch Time Travel films to count double with your Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge list. However, the setting(s) must have already taken place, so you can't watch a movie set in the future that travels to a different point in the future.

Is TV Content Allowed?
Certainly! Just make sure that it's as consistent with the spirit of the challenge as the movies you might watch. We used to allow anything on The History Channel carte blanche but with the proliferation of reality TV shows there, try to remember that no matter how dangerous driving a semi across ice is, it isn't "historical"...yet!

Counting
Many of the films at the heart of this challenge have considerable run times, so even though there's always a sort of de facto goal of hitting 100 movies watched, it's not really expected here. We'd much rather you take this opportunity to finally see Lawrence of Arabia than to squeeze in two shorter films.

Since there are no prizes for this challenge, feel free to count using whichever method best suits you. The standard is that 2 TV broadcast hours or short films is equivalent to 1 movie. Some members prefer to count each episode or short as a single entry. Others tally their cumulative viewing time. Whatever floats your boat. It's your list!

Why Aren't Documentaries on the Checklist?
It's up to each participant to decide what mix of dramatizations and documentaries best suits him or her. If you want to watch documentaries exclusively, you're welcome to do that. If you don't want to watch any, that's fine, too. Some checkmarks will be easier to attain with docs, though!

Hey, What About...?
Regarding specific films, I would suggest--and this goes for any questions--that you ask about a specific film in the discussion thread and see what feedback you get from others who have seen it. If you don't get anything helpful, my rule of thumb is that if you feel that you have a sufficient reason to believe that it's an appropriate selection then go ahead and watch it. If it turns out not to really fit the nature of this challenge, still count it as a viewing but please share your thoughts with us.

CHECKLIST

GENERAL
WHEN
Watch a film that takes place during five different centuries prior to the 20th Century (Note Century of setting):
--- Movie 1 (Century)
--- Movie 2 (Century)
--- Movie 3 (Century)
--- Movie 4 (Century)
--- Movie 5 (Century)

WHERE
Watch 5 movies about historical events of different countries (Note Country of setting).
--- Movie 1 (Country)
--- Movie 2 (Country)
--- Movie 3 (Country)
--- Movie 4 (Country)
--- Movie 5 (Country)

WHO _/10
Watch at least five of the ten following subcategories:

FOLKLORE & FAITH
--- Film about prehistory
--- Film about the mythology of Antiquity (i.e., Greek gods, dramatization of Homeric poems, etc.)
--- Film about religious history (based on either recorded historical events or fables arising from Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.)
--- Film about a folk hero
--- Film about either the Humanities (fine arts) or Sports figure/event

HEY, THEY WERE THERE, TOO!: A LOOK AT MARGINALIZED PEOPLES
(Focus on prominent figures from history and/or depictions of their minority group's oppression, etc.)
--- Film about Women's History
--- Film about Race Relations
--- Film about the LGBTQ Community
--- Film about Religious Minority
--- Film about Immigrants

TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
--- Watch at least two movies about the same person/event where each movie is from a different perspective (1/2)
--- Watch at least two movies about the same person/event where each movie is from a different perspective (2/2)

WAR _/10
Watch at least five of the following ten War subcategories:

--- Anti-War film
--- Military Comedy
--- Prisoner of War/Escape film
--- Resistance Movement/Civilians film
--- Submarine film
--- War Spy
--- War film that was produced *during* that war
--- Film about war criminals
--- Film about veterans after the war (framing a "flashback" film doesn't count, so no Saving Private Ryan for this one)
--- Wartime propaganda film OR a film produced by the military

WESTERN _/10
Watch at least five of these ten Western subcategories:

--- The Union Pacific story. (The plot concerns construction of a railroad, a telegraph line, or some other type of modern technology or transportation.) Wagon train stories probably fall into this category.
--- The ranch story. (The plot concerns threats to the ranch from rustlers or large landowners attempting to force out the proper owners.)
--- The empire story. (The plot might involve building up a ranch empire or an oil empire from scratch, a classic rags-to-riches plot.)
--- The revenge story. (The plot often involves an elaborate chase and pursuit, but it may also include elements of the classic mystery story.)
--- The cavalry and Indian story. (The plot revolves around taming the wilderness for white settlers.)
--- The outlaw story. (The outlaw gangs dominate the action.)
--- The marshal story. (The lawman and his challenges drive the plot.)
--- "Export Western" - a Western not actually set in America. There have been numerous Westerns set in Australia, for instance. Samurai films could count for this, too, given the relationship between the two genres.
--- Western movie with a direct connection to a TV show, since Westerns were part of TV's golden age before the Space Generation
--- Neo-Western (i.e., a Western set in more contemporary times, to demonstrate the genre is still alive)

ZEITGEIST WILD CARDS
Because an argument can be made that some movies which fall outside the "obvious" scope of our challenge really are consistent with its spirit, you're permitted to watch and check off up to three optional movies of your choice.
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #1
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #2
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #3

The checklist is from last year, so any one has any suggestions for a change, just let me know.

Here is a link of Historical films, courtesy of Caligulathegod:

http://www.vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/movies.html

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
05-01-15, 06:23 PM
I'm starting off with the last season of Downton Abbey and then I'll figure out where to go from there.

shadokitty
05-01-15, 07:02 PM
I'm probably going to do mostly documentaries.

BobO'Link
05-01-15, 08:55 PM
I have a bunch of Historical, Biblical, and War films I plan to get in this year. I'm thinking of starting with They Died with their Boots On as it's one of the oldest unwatched films in the pile (yes, I've seen it before but it's been decades...).

shadokitty
05-01-15, 09:09 PM
This will also give me an excuse to watch Midway, that I got for Christmas. I've seen it on TV, but haven't watched the DVD yet. I was saving it for this challenge. I may also revisit Gettysburg and Gods and Generals.

shadokitty
05-06-15, 07:05 PM
If anyone gets Reelz, I just discovered a good show that would also be eligible for the challenge, Cold Case Files. It's a documentary series that follows cold case detectives as they try to solve cases.

Trevor
05-06-15, 09:31 PM
Thanks shado. No clue what to theme my content towards, but hopefully I'll open a few packages.

shadokitty
05-06-15, 09:33 PM
Thanks shado. No clue what to theme my content towards, but hopefully I'll open a few packages.

No problem. I didn't want to see this challenge disappear, so was glad to take it over.

Trevor
05-06-15, 09:43 PM
No problem. I didn't want to see this challenge disappear, so was glad to take it over.
As long as I'm alive, no Challenge will disappear. They may be mediocrely run shells of their glorious past, but they'll at least exist.

That said, I'd much rather other people take turns running them and am thankful for you and others when you work on them.

I'm not going to be watching much for the next year or three, but I still love reading the threads and looking at people's lists.

JOE29
05-08-15, 01:14 PM
I'm in again this year. But don't know how much i'll be able to do because of work. Might be a very low total. But i'm willing to participate and do what I can.

shadokitty
05-08-15, 03:01 PM
I'm in again this year. But don't know how much i'll be able to do because of work. Might be a very low total. But i'm willing to participate and do what I can.

Anyone can watch as little or as much as they want :)

caligulathegod
05-08-15, 05:48 PM
I found this link in the very first Historical Challenge. Has a fairly exhaustive list of Historical films on every possible Historical period or event.

shadokitty
05-08-15, 06:12 PM
I found this link in the very first Historical Challenge. Has a fairly exhaustive list of Historical films on every possible Historical period or event.

Thanks for the link Caligula. I'll add it to the first post tomorrow.

BobO'Link
05-08-15, 06:35 PM

That's one heck of a list! How did we miss using/adding it each year?

caligulathegod
05-08-15, 07:37 PM
Not sure. It was originally Mister Peepers/The Man with the Golden Doujinshi who posted it. Not sure where he got it from.

05-08-15, 09:42 PM
I was probably looking for a list of genres for historical films on google.

shadokitty
05-11-15, 02:49 PM
I apologize for not putting the link in the first post yet. I will get it done in the next couple of days. Lately, I haven't been motivated to even get on my laptop, just using my phone to access the forum.

Ash Ketchum
05-11-15, 03:11 PM

Interesting list. But not complete. I went through all the Japan subject listings and found lots of important films, both Japanese and American, missing from the lists.

It is a good resource, though.

05-11-15, 04:37 PM
Try shooting him an email and let him know.

Or we could maintain our own list, using that as a basis.

shadokitty
05-14-15, 01:49 PM
I updated the first post with Caligula's link. Sorry it took so long, but I haven't even been accessing the forums from my laptop lately.

shadokitty
05-18-15, 03:56 AM
Just thought I'd post a heads up for anyone with either a DVR, or History Channel on Demand. Starting on Memorial Day, there is a good looking mini series about the rise of Texas, called Texas Rising.

BobO'Link
05-18-15, 12:41 PM
^I can't make up my mind about that one. Mainly because the more recent History Channel series of that type are more sensationalistic than informative. But as you said, it looks good which is why I'm on the fence...

JOE29
05-18-15, 10:52 PM
Just thought I'd post a heads up for anyone with either a DVR, or History Channel on Demand. Starting on Memorial Day, there is a good looking mini series about the rise of Texas, called Texas Rising.

Yes, can't wait for this one. It looks good. Plus I just saw the book Texas Rising in the store today. I might pick that up sometime soon as well.

05-19-15, 10:59 AM
^I can't make up my mind about that one. Mainly because the more recent History Channel series of that type are more sensationalistic than informative. But as you said, it looks good which is why I'm on the fence...

I hear ya. I remember watching National Geographic shows as a kid. What they used to do one segment on, as part of a show, they now stretch out an entire show to stupid lengths just to show something. I'm looking at you Man vs Monster. I didn't need to sit through that entire episode to know that you were going to find a vampire bat and not a giant bat monster from the moment the show started.

bychance
05-19-15, 04:40 PM
It wont be historically accurate. They've taken a few liberties including folklore in it. Its first and foremost entertainment.

JOE29
05-21-15, 01:31 PM
Just picked up Pork Chop Hill bluray.- Gregory Peck. Looking forward to viewing this. Can't say it will be the first on my list yet but It will be viewed in the challenge sometime.

shadokitty
05-21-15, 02:05 PM
Just to let everyone know. I'll have the list thread up in the next day or two.

shadokitty
05-23-15, 01:54 PM
I quit challenges altogether, but posted the list thread. It's self moderating Watch whatever you think counts. I'm out.

shadokitty
05-23-15, 02:58 PM
Points to the other challenge thread to see how he is doing, but I'm back, at least half heartedly.

shadokitty
05-24-15, 07:43 AM
If anyone has a DVR, both AMC, and TCM, are playing war movies all weekend, including tomorrow.

shadokitty
05-25-15, 12:22 PM
I thought being Memorial Day, it would be a good day to try an experiment. Just this year, I decided to start the challenge off early, and we can begin today. Also, any non fiction books read during the challenge can get an optional credit if you finish it. My book will be The World Encyclopedia of Fighters & Bombs by Francis Crosby, and if I finish that, will read Fighter Pilot, the Memoirs of Robin Olds.

shadokitty
05-26-15, 06:05 PM
I'm noticing a distinct lack of discussion, and even spots taken on the list thread. Am I doing something wrong, is this not a popular challenge, or is it just because I'm hosting it?

Trevor
05-26-15, 06:23 PM
I'm noticing a distinct lack of discussion, and even spots taken on the list thread. Am I doing something wrong, is this not a popular challenge, or is it just because I'm hosting it?
I don't think the host makes any difference unless you're Chad.

Relax.

05-26-15, 06:51 PM
I didn't really notice it started yesterday. I need to go back and see what I've watched since I watched some westerns but I don't remember if any took place in a specific period of time. I've been watching westerns for my make your own challenge, so the weekend was just a big blur of guys riding horses.

Since I've been working from start to finish through a specific western set this month, I'm hesitant to start skipping movies to find the more historical ones. Since I won't finish the set by the end of the month, I won't really hit this challenge until then. Till then it'll just be whatever random movie or TV show that comes on that qualifies.

I'll try and start a book soon. Possibly starting with Policing Cinema: Movies and Censorship in Early-Twentieth-Century America.

shadokitty
05-26-15, 07:04 PM
I didn't really notice it started yesterday. I need to go back and see what I've watched since I watched some westerns but I don't remember if any took place in a specific period of time. I've been watching westerns for my make your own challenge, so the weekend was just a big blur of guys riding horses.

Since I've been working from start to finish through a specific western set this month, I'm hesitant to start skipping movies to find the more historical ones. Since I won't finish the set by the end of the month, I won't really hit this challenge until then. Till then it'll just be whatever random movie or TV show that comes on that qualifies.

I'll try and start a book soon. Possibly starting with Policing Cinema: Movies and Censorship in Early-Twentieth-Century America.

I thought being Memorial Day, it was worth trying on a trial basis this year.

BobO'Link
05-26-15, 07:16 PM
I thought being Memorial Day, it would be a good day to try an experiment. Just this year, I decided to start the challenge off early, and we can begin today.
I totally missed this yesterday (and I even checked the forum a few times). Now I have to decide what I want to watch the rest of the week and make a feeble attempt to intertwine some stuff...

I actually started watching that History Channel "Texas" series but just couldn't get into it. I also figured it'll be rerun *a lot* over the next month and I'd have a chance to possibly catch it all during a Sunday afternoon marathon which also played into me not getting into it much.

Aaaannnddd.... I look up to discover Part 1 has just come on tonight for a rerun. Hmmm... I think I'll try again.

Last year there were 30 participants (Including Travis who didn't put anything in his list) and only 70 posts prior to the start time. Some of that was discussion on some changes, the checklist, and other "what to watch" combined with "what's allowable" type stuff. If you take all that out I'd say there's a similar amount of pre-challenge discussion going on.

Right now there are 18 participants and with the early start I'd say you caught more than me off-guard so I'd say it's not too far off. This one seems to get fewer participants and is more laid back (except for that year we got into "arguments" about just what was/is valid).

Don't sweat it... those of us who show up don't look at numbers... I think the only ones with large(r) numbers are the SF/Fantasy and Horror (which seems to have a life of its own).

JOE29
05-27-15, 12:20 AM

I think once the movie watching actually starts ( didn't know that it started on Memorial Day until the 26th ) things should pick up with people watching things and talking about it. I was caught off guard too. But still managed to start off with one.

shadokitty
05-27-15, 06:14 AM
I woke up early, and decided to start working on the challenge. Started the day with another of the Life on Location episodes on Netflix. This one was how the Plants episode was filmed.

pacaway
05-27-15, 07:26 AM
Well, I'm going to participate in this challenge this year. It will be my first time. I've been thinking about things I could watch for about a month now, and I recently picked up the Blu-ray of Aguirre, which I'm very excited to watch (I've watch my DVD version a few times). Has anyone ever watched it with just the English audio track, since it seems that that is actually how it was filmed? Does it work okay that way?

Since the challenge has started early, and I'd like to cross some stuff over, would Night at the Museum count?? ;)

shadokitty
05-27-15, 07:57 AM
Well, I'm going to participate in this challenge this year. It will be my first time. I've been thinking about things I could watch for about a month now, and I recently picked up the Blu-ray of Aguirre, which I'm very excited to watch (I've watch my DVD version a few times). Has anyone ever watched it with just the English audio track, since it seems that that is actually how it was filmed? Does it work okay that way?

Since the challenge has started early, and I'd like to cross some stuff over, would Night at the Museum count?? ;)

Maybe under a zeitgeist wild card. I'll leave it open to opinions. Anyways, welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

I just finished a great documentary on Netflix about Ray Harryhausen, called Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan.

pacaway
05-27-15, 08:57 AM
Maybe under a zeitgeist wild card. I'll leave it open to opinions. Anyways, welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

I just finished a great documentary on Netflix about Ray Harryhausen, called Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan.

LOVE Harryhausen! I think my next MYOC will be either "Harryhausen" or a little broader, like "Stop Motion". There! I'm ready for next year already! :)

omike
05-27-15, 10:59 AM

I thought that this challenge grew out of a western/war idea and historical stuff was added to broaden the appeal so any western or war movie would count even if no specific time period was mentioned or the war covered was still going on when the film was made. So The Green Berets would count even though it was made while the war was still going on.

I'd like to mainly focus on B-westerns, many from a Mill Creek set, just to continue my Poverty Row viewing that I started in this years MYOC and I'm sure none of these are particularly historical. If folks object I just won't number those in my list but I'll still stick around and just number any that do fit.

I did watch a couple of war movies on Memorial Day even though I didn't know the challenge had started so I will put those in my list -- when I have some time to get the darned thing whipped into shape!

davidh777
05-27-15, 11:20 AM
I thought that this challenge grew out of a western/war idea and historical stuff was added to broaden the appeal so any western or war movie would count even if no specific time period was mentioned or the war covered was still going on when the film was made. So The Green Berets would count even though it was made while the war was still going on.

That is correct. I keep meaning to watch Act of Valor for either this or Action.

I'd like to mainly focus on B-westerns, many from a Mill Creek set, just to continue my Poverty Row viewing that I started in this years MYOC and I'm sure none of these are particularly historical. If folks object I just won't number those in my list but I'll still stick around and just number any that do fit.

Hey, it's your list! For MYOC, I've been listing stage musicals I attend but not numbering them.

I did watch a couple of war movies on Memorial Day even though I didn't know the challenge had started so I will put those in my list -- when I have some time to get the darned thing whipped into shape!

FWIW, I believe we've pitched the idea of starting on Memorial Day for historical and cultural revelance, but this is the first year it's actually happened--ironically the one time no one ever asked.

JOE29
05-27-15, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=omike;12492559
[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of the B- westerns also. I just finished one, Arrowhead. Plus I have a lot more to use in my DVD library.

05-27-15, 01:32 PM

Works for me. I think I was remembering that I always thought a historical challenge should only include things that were more focused on something historical and not just something that took place in the a generic past time frame.

This just means I get to keep working through my set another month, although I may need to take a break now and then to throw in something that isn't yet another guys riding horses movie. I'm also tired of Gene Autry doing his "tough" face by scrunching up his smooth baby face at someone to get them to back off in every movie he's in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ac5AVosug

Ash Ketchum
05-27-15, 02:04 PM
I'm a fan of the B- westerns also. I just finished one, Arrowhead. Plus I have a lot more to use in my DVD library.

A lot of B-westerns dealt with specific historical subjects. Roy Rogers played Jesse James, Billy the Kid, and Wild Bill Hickok among other famous figures.

Oh, and ARROWHEAD was not a B-western. It starred Charlton Heston and Jack Palance and was a medium budget picture from Paramount Pictures. (Heston had already started working for Cecil B. DeMille by then, having starred in the previous year's Best Picture winner, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.)

shadokitty
05-27-15, 04:11 PM
Since sports movies count, if you wish to watch sports on TV as bonus, uncounted content, feel free.

omike
05-27-15, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'll just number them as I watch them. Challenge lists (and Excel) are a handy way for me to keep track of what I've watched.

I may need to take a break now and then to throw in something that isn't yet another guys riding horses movie. I'm also tired of Gene Autry doing his "tough" face by scrunching up his smooth baby face at someone to get them to back off in every movie he's in.
:lol:
Yeah, I'll have to come up with a few change of pace items myself.

Dimension X
05-27-15, 05:42 PM
I would say it's still a bit early. More people will grab a spot after the thread gets "stickied."

Last year there were 30 participants (Including Travis who didn't put anything in his list) and only 70 posts prior to the start time. Some of that was discussion on some changes, the checklist, and other "what to watch" combined with "what's allowable" type stuff. If you take all that out I'd say there's a similar amount of pre-challenge discussion going on.

Right now there are 18 participants and with the early start I'd say you caught more than me off-guard so I'd say it's not too far off. This one seems to get fewer participants and is more laid back (except for that year we got into "arguments" about just what was/is valid).

Don't sweat it... those of us who show up don't look at numbers... I think the only ones with large(r) numbers are the SF/Fantasy and Horror (which seems to have a life of its own).
What he said.

shadokitty
05-27-15, 07:35 PM
I just finished my first western of the challenge. I finished an episode of Wanted: Dead or Alive. I've always liked Steve McQueen.

BobO'Link
05-27-15, 10:47 PM
I'm tickled that the next movie selected for me in the "The Neverending Watch The Movies You Should Have Already Seen Challenge (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/626613-neverending-watch-movies-you-should-have-already-seen-challenge.html)," Mrs. Miniver, qualifies for this one too! There are a couple of others in my list that also qualify so hopefully they'll get picked as well.

05-27-15, 11:30 PM
I watched White Comanche last night. It stars William Shatner fighting his twin (good twin vs evil twin). Full version is on youtube but here's the final fight scene for those that don't care to sit through it all but want to see him .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaVdOfuC8c

It was an interesting western yet didn't feature him and the twin on the screen at the same time but they did reuse a wolf howling audio clip a few times that I've seen in some other westerns this month, as well as the Dark Shadows tv show.

shadokitty
05-28-15, 04:56 PM
I just finished my first war movie of the challenge. The Great Raid was on Starz Cinema. It dealt with Lt. Col. Mulcci's raid to rescue POWs from a Japanese camp. It's from 2005 and stars James Franco as the captain who led the raid.

shadokitty
05-29-15, 09:20 AM
I just finished the episode of Blue Planet on the depot of the ocean. I started it yesterday morning, but never got around to getting back to it. I'm really enjoying revisiting the series.

JOE29
05-30-15, 12:22 AM
It took me 3 days to watch 1 movie all in pieces, Broken Arrow, because of work. That's just how my list will be looking. Except for my days off when I can at least get in a few more in a row.

shadokitty
05-30-15, 07:37 PM
Still gradually working my way through Blue Planet. Just finished the first episode on Disc 3, Seasonal Seas.

caligulathegod
05-31-15, 03:44 PM
The Challenge arose originally from a combination of ideas. First was a Western Challenge and then was a War Challenge. Ultimately it seemed to make more sense to expand it to include all Historical films regardless of whether they were based upon true stories or not. This would allow Downton Abbey and Jane Austin type films and Biographical films. Since even films based upon "true" stories are typically mostly fictional we threw out any need for films to be "true" stories. The only requirement is that films be based in an earlier time period than when they were made, with the exception of War Movies and Sports films. Then there's the Zeitgeist films that might have been contemporary but absolutely define their times for subsequent generations of viewers. Stuff like Rebel Without a Cause, Easy Rider or Saturday Night Fever which define their generations whereas other films merely take place in their time period (this is probably going to be the toughest to actually define or cause the most discussion).

The challenges are simply fun excuses to watch our collections with some kind of theme rather than be held to any strict standard. Personally, I think this is one of the most sublime concepts for a challenge. It has a very definable theme and can allow any number of films. I've been meaning to pull Apocalypse Now off the shelf and the wife is ALWAYS watching 17th and 18th Century films and shows. I was kind of beat by my Drive-in challenge, but now I've kind of hyped myself up to rejoin this challenge.

shadokitty
05-31-15, 03:51 PM
The Challenge arose originally from a combination of ideas. First was a Western Challenge and then was a War Challenge. Ultimately it seemed to make more sense to expand it to include all Historical films regardless of whether they were based upon true stories or not. This would allow Downton Abbey and Jane Austin type films and Biographical films. Since even films based upon "true" stories are typically mostly fictional we threw out any need for films to be "true" stories. The only requirement is that films be based in an earlier time period than when they were made, with the exception of War Movies. Then there's the Zeitgeist films that might have been contemporary but absolutely define their times for subsequent generations of viewers. Stuff like Rebel Without a Cause, Easy Rider or Saturday Night Fever which define their generations whereas other films merely take place in their time period (this is probably going to be the toughest to actually define or cause the most discussion).

The challenges are simply fun excuses to watch our collections with some kind of theme rather than be held to any strict standard. Personally, I think this is one of the most sublime concepts for a challenge. It has a very definable theme and can allow any number of films. I've been meaning to pull Apocalypse Now off the shelf and the wife is ALWAYS watching 17th and 18th Century films and shows. I was kind of beat by my Drive-in challenge, but now I've kind of hyped myself up to rejoin this challenge.

Glad you're joining in Caligula. Not to mention, any documentary is eligible too. As Travis even wrote in the opening post, one can watch nothing but documentaries too if one wants. I only have one episode left of Blue Planet
as I just finished the Tidal Seas episode. I haven't decided whether or not to wait the documentaries on the bonus disc.

caligulathegod
05-31-15, 03:59 PM
I had signed up for Epix for the Drive-in challenge as it was only $5. Turns out they have a Roku app and it vastly expands their catalog. Way more than their OnDemand channel.

Looking a little further, the app is good for iPad, iPhone, Android, Chromecast, Fire phone, Kindle fire, PS3, PS4, Roku, Windows 8, XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE.

BobO'Link
05-31-15, 05:37 PM
Earlier this week I watched the first two installments of Texas Rising on the History Channel. I was rather unimpressed. It absolutely annoys me they filmed it with a sepia filter over everything to force it to have a "old" look. I get the impression this was done to give it more credibility and be taken more seriously. To me it seems to have far too many "modern" ideas to be historically accurate. The script is horribly stilted/stiff and full of cliche' with little clue as to what's happening where (maybe it was just me but I felt "lost" most of the time). I expect more/better from the History Channel and doubt I'll waste time with the rest of the episodes. Did you know it was originally to be 6 hours but History Channel changed it to 10? Could that be part of the problem?

This afternoon I watched Mrs. Miniver (1942). I've had the disc for some time but just never got around to a viewing. I found it to be a fairly good representation of what most American people thought of as going on in Britain during the start of WWII. Like most war movies of its time it has lots of propaganda type themes but that also makes it a good snapshot of the times. I'm currently watching the shorts included which are outright propaganda films, but also excellent in their content.

JOE29
06-01-15, 01:15 AM
Earlier this week I watched the first two installments of Texas Rising on the History Channel. I was rather unimpressed.

I haven't been impressed with it either. Although I haven't seen the first 2 full episodes yet. Only got about 3/4 through the first episode so far. I was really hyped up to view this. But so far it has been a let down.

shadokitty
06-01-15, 07:10 AM
While looking at war movies on Hulu, I found a very interesting documentary on Alan Turing. Without his help, the war in Europe might well have ended differently. It's called The Man Who Cracked the Nazi Code.

06-01-15, 10:57 AM
While looking at war movies on Hulu, I found a very interesting documentary on Alan Turing. Without his help, the war in Europe might well have ended differently. It's called The Man Who Cracked the Nazi Code.

You should look up stuff on Hitler's personal physician that got Hitler addicted to certain drugs. He wasn't in the military so he had his wife or someone make his own special uniform to wear, complete with fake awards as well.

You might also like the book Cryptonomicon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

shadokitty
06-01-15, 11:30 AM
You should look up stuff on Hitler's personal physician that got Hitler addicted to certain drugs. He wasn't in the military so he had his wife or someone make his own special uniform to wear, complete with fake awards as well.

You might also like the book Cryptonomicon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

Thanks. I'll look that stuff up. I see there are a lot of aviation documentaries on Prime too.

mrcellophane
06-01-15, 12:53 PM
This weekend I finished rewatching the first season of Mad Men. I'd forgotten how engaging I find the show; by the end of the first episode I was rehooked. The first couple of episodes have those coy, winking-at-the-camera moments to signal the difference between 1960 and 2007, and these quickly wear thin. (We get it: 1960s people didn't understand homosexuality or plastic garment bags.) However, these types of jokes give way to both a celebration and indictment of the time period.

Many of the main conflicts between Don Draper (anti-hero protagonist) and Betty Draper (anti-hero protagonist's obligatorily shrewish wife) arise from the fundamental problem of the nuclear family. Don and Betty are told to act as one in bliss while also being told to inhabit different worlds. Don is never comfortable in Betty's domestic realm, and Betty is so out-of-place in Don's Manhattan. Betty also has the added disadvantage of not feeling at home in suburbia which makes her the shows most sympathetic character. In fact the entire show revolves around miscommunication and thwarted expectations.

BobO'Link
06-01-15, 02:30 PM
I watched Casablanca yesterday, mainly because it was part of a set which included Mrs. Miniver and was the last one to view (I watch everything at least once even those duplicate copies I get when purchasing a set for a title). I *think* this was the second time but it may have been the third. I *do* recall not being all that impressed the first time I saw the film, passing it off as nothing more than a standard romance film set in war time. I enjoyed it far more yesterday than I did that first viewing. Events seemed to have more meaning and played better. Yes, it's still a fairly standard romance film but having knowledge of character backgrounds/involvements going into the film makes it somewhat stronger. The club patrons singing "La Marseillaise" played better for me than during that first viewing and was more rousing/emotional. I also better appreciated the large number of well known cast members and their individual contributions. I have a feeling this is one of those that gets better with each viewing as you get a bit more "little stuff" with each which makes the whole that much more satisfying.

I followed that with "Barbarians II" a quartet of History Channel documentaries about four tribes who helped bring down Rome - The Vandals, the Saxons, the Franks, and the Lombards. While these all apparently suffered from limited production budgets I found them better, more entertaining, and certainly more informative, than some of the recent stuff foisted upon the viewing audience by the History Channel. They all suffer from a pet peeve many "modern" productions have of wasting 2-3 minutes after each commercial break recapping the last segment. I guess they feel if you've sat through a 5-6 minute commercial block you've forgotten what you were watching or have seen. Of course this also means they don't have to make a program for a one hour slot but rather a 30 minute one that is filled to time by repeated material (these all run ~42 minutes without commercials). So... enough griping about such trivialities. They had some good and interesting information with fairly good production values in spite of obvious budgetary limitations (i.e. a large group of invaders depicted by a dozen or two people and huge battles involving a couple of dozen fighters).

shadokitty
06-01-15, 03:28 PM
Encore Westerns is a good channel for this challenge. Besides movies, there are also classic series on. For example, I just finished my first ever episode of Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp. Though, while it has been on a lot lately, not sure if I'd count the Lone Ranger movie.

caligulathegod
06-01-15, 06:47 PM
I love Casablanca. I've seen it in a theater three times. It's one that I had avoided for years because so much of it gets quoted it feels like you've already seen it, but when you see it in context it really does all pull together.

I also love To Have and Have Not. It's kind of like a Casablanca lite, but it has 19 year old Lauren Bacall and she is smokin'.

shadokitty
06-02-15, 11:58 AM
I just finished Blue Planet, including watching the bonus documentaries on the bonus disc. All the featurettes are on the individual discs. The bonus disc is four additional documentaries. I haven't decided whether to watch a movie or another documentary series for my next DVD watch.

pacaway
06-02-15, 12:46 PM
Watched my first few titles... Started with The Fifth Estate, the WikiLeaks story, and Atari: Game Over, the documentary about digging up the buried E.T. 2600 game cartridges from a landfill in the dessert.

This morning I started rewatching the original UK version of the Life on Mars series, about a cop in 2006 who gets hit by a car and wakes up in 1973. Sounds hokey, but is VERY good.

davidh777
06-02-15, 12:54 PM
I never get tired of watching Casablanca.

Ash Ketchum
06-02-15, 01:37 PM
I watched Casablanca yesterday, mainly because it was part of a set which included Mrs. Miniver and was the last one to view (I watch everything at least once even those duplicate copies I get when purchasing a set for a title). I *think* this was the second time but it may have been the third. I *do* recall not being all that impressed the first time I saw the film, passing it off as nothing more than a standard romance film set in war time. I enjoyed it far more yesterday than I did that first viewing. Events seemed to have more meaning and played better. Yes, it's still a fairly standard romance film but having knowledge of character backgrounds/involvements going into the film makes it somewhat stronger. The club patrons singing "La Marseillaise" played better for me than during that first viewing and was more rousing/emotional. I also better appreciated the large number of well known cast members and their individual contributions. I have a feeling this is one of those that gets better with each viewing as you get a bit more "little stuff" with each which makes the whole that much more satisfying.

My first trip to a revival theater was sometime in 1967 when my mother took me to see a double bill of THE MALTESE FALCON and her all-time favorite film, CASABLANCA. First time I saw either of them. We then went downtown (Manhattan) to check out a parade of some sorts and we saw Robert F. Kennedy and future mayor Abe Beame marching together.

When we got a chance to see CASABLANCA on TV, we all gathered around to watch it. My siblings were eager to see what my mother liked. My mother had, of course, first seen the film when she was a high school student during the war. And as she explained its appeal to her, she said "I was Ingrid Bergman."

I've since seen it multiple times, including on the big screen. I saw it at its 50th anniversary at Loew's Tower East and in the audience, having a date, were Carl Bernstein (of Watergate fame) and Faye Wattleton, who had been famous years earlier for being the media-savvy head of Planned Parenthood. I overheard her at the candy stand telling Bernstein what she'd just told some former employer she was in a dispute with, "I'll be happy to go away, just give me the money."

06-02-15, 02:03 PM
the WikiLeaks story

Have you seen Citizenfour? Thanks to http://cryptome.org/ I was able to watch it online and it was pretty interesting. It follows Snowden from before the data is released through him ending up in Russia.

The worst part about the entire thing was the crap from the director at the very beginning talking about she might be taken out by the government because of the films she makes. It was really hard to not turn it off through that stuff but she eventually shuts up and gets on with the story.

BobO'Link
06-02-15, 02:25 PM
I started the History Channel mini-series Mankind: The Story of All of Us last night. I've watched the first two episodes and don't quite know what to make of this one. It's moving *very* fast in a attempt to touch on many major events in human history. It seems to linger on insignificant stuff while glossing over more interesting eras/events. It's visually interesting with good production values but some of the declarative statements seem right out of Ancient Aliens fare making connections and claims I've never heard before. A comment that hit me early in the first episode was that man appeared 4 million years after the Earth was formed. I did a spit take on that one but didn't back it up to see if I'd heard correctly. I may do that this evening just to be sure. There have been other statements that just don't ring true.

In only two episodes we're already up to roughly "0" CE. I'd hoped for far more BCE material. Maybe that'll occur in other episodes as a couple have already made the jump from ancient discoveries (iron/steel) to modern times only to go back again. Yeah... it seems to bounce around a bit.

I do *not* care for Josh Brolin as the narrator. There's no passion as he just seems to be reading a script. Why do these documentary producers think a actor is a good narrator for a documentary? They are frequently poor choices and seem to have been selected for nothing more than name recognition in a effort to garner sales on the name.

shadokitty
06-02-15, 02:49 PM
I started the History Channel mini-series Mankind: The Story of All of Us last night. I've watched the first two episodes and don't quite know what to make of this one. It's moving *very* fast in a attempt to touch on many major events in human history. It seems to linger on insignificant stuff while glossing over more interesting eras/events. It's visually interesting with good production values but some of the declarative statements seem right out of Ancient Aliens fare making connections and claims I've never heard before. A comment that hit me early in the first episode was that man appeared 4 million years after the Earth was formed. I did a spit take on that one but didn't back it up to see if I'd heard correctly. I may do that this evening just to be sure. There have been other statements that just don't ring true.

In only two episodes we're already up to roughly "0" CE. I'd hoped for far more BCE material. Maybe that'll occur in other episodes as a couple have already made the jump from ancient discoveries (iron/steel) to modern times only to go back again. Yeah... it seems to bounce around a bit.

I do *not* care for Josh Brolin as the narrator. There's no passion as he just seems to be reading a script. Why do these documentary producers think a actor is a good narrator for a documentary? They are frequently poor choices and seem to have been selected for nothing more than name recognition in a effort to garner sales on the name.

Are you watching it on Netflix? Speaking of which, I signed up to add DVD'S to my plan. I'm on the 2 disc at a time plan.

BobO'Link
06-02-15, 03:37 PM
Are you watching it on Netflix? Speaking of which, I signed up to add DVD'S to my plan. I'm on the 2 disc at a time plan.
No. DVDs. 99% of my viewing is my personal, physical, collection. I rarely stream and then mainly use Amazon if what I want is available "free" with Prime. I do a occasional Youtube or Hulu session if I can't get what I want free from Amazon and they have it free.

I read somewhere Netflix is going to jack up the price of their streaming+disc plans by as much as 25% soon.

shadokitty
06-02-15, 06:31 PM
No. DVDs. 99% of my viewing is my personal, physical, collection. I rarely stream and then mainly use Amazon if what I want is available "free" with Prime. I do a occasional Youtube or Hulu session if I can't get what I want free from Amazon and they have it free.

I read somewhere Netflix is going to jack up the price of their streaming+disc plans by as much as 25% soon.

Luckily, I'm just on a free trial of the DVD plan, so wouldn't be out anything if they jack up the rates and I cancel.

Giles
06-02-15, 11:30 PM
I missed the reason why some folk are starting their lists as early as May 26th ?? clue me in here.

shadokitty
06-03-15, 12:01 AM
I missed the reason why some folk are starting their lists as early as May 26th ?? clue me in here.

I decided to try starting the challenge on Memorial Day this year.

For my next series, I decided to go with Season 1 of Ancient Aliens.

Giles
06-03-15, 01:16 AM
I decided to try starting the challenge on Memorial Day this year.

For my next series, I decided to go with Season 1 of Ancient Aliens.

funny you should mention Ancient Aliens since I began this challenge and my 'Animal' themed challenge with an episode of the series.

pacaway
06-03-15, 06:36 AM
Have you seen Citizenfour? Thanks to http://cryptome.org/ I was able to watch it online and it was pretty interesting. It follows Snowden from before the data is released through him ending up in Russia.

The worst part about the entire thing was the crap from the director at the very beginning talking about she might be taken out by the government because of the films she makes. It was really hard to not turn it off through that stuff but she eventually shuts up and gets on with the story.

I'll have to give a watch. Thanks for the recommendation (and the warning!) :)

pacaway
06-03-15, 06:41 AM
Finally broke down and "double-dipped" on The Man With No Name Trilogy, picking it up on Blu-ray for $15 (CDN) yesterday. I have to pretty much blame this challenge for that!

shadokitty
06-03-15, 10:43 AM
I have a question for people who might be more knowledgeable. I remember hearing that in previous challenges, at least one person watched sports. Does that mean that besides movies about sports, events are also eligible? Also, what would people think about news, since the stories are history making?

06-03-15, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't count news for the same reason I wouldn't count movies and shows based on current events. It's not history yet.

If we're talking about watching stuff like CBS reports from the 80s on the Cold War, that's a different story.

shadokitty
06-03-15, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't count news for the same reason I wouldn't count movies and shows based on current events. It's not history yet.

If we're talking about watching stuff like CBS reports from the 80s on the Cold War, that's a different story.

I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to get other opinions. I never ran this challenge before.

Today, I plan to watch some aviation documentaries, as I'm excited about my annual vacation to Oshkosh next month.

BobO'Link
06-03-15, 01:10 PM
<s>I'm with Peepers... Sports and news has to be older, archive type, stuff and nothing currently running. Even then I'd put them in the Zeitgeist category if they are actual programs that aired live at the time the recording was made.</s>

We got into a somewhat heated discussion a few years back on just what should be allowed. I'm not keen on a repeat visit so I'll just say I'm against Sporting Events or "Hard" News Programs being included no matter *when* they were recorded/aired/played. There's so much that *is* allowed that if you can't find something that fits you aren't trying very hard. Save those two for the MYO challenge.

shadokitty
06-03-15, 01:23 PM
I'm with Peepers... Sports and news has to be older, archive type, stuff and nothing currently running. Even then I'd put them in the Zeitgeist category if they are actual programs that aired live at the time the recording was made.

I thought so too, which always bogged my puny brain that someone xggfcounted sffdfpoggygorts.

BobO'Link
06-03-15, 01:46 PM
OK... I have to somewhat amend my comments about Mankind: The Story of All of Us where I said:
A comment that hit me early in the first episode was that man appeared 4 million years after the Earth was formed.
I played back that part of the first episode and the comment was 14 *Billion* years and I'd heard 14 *Million* instead. That number works.

It still moves *very* quickly with some events getting the briefest of mentions. Events I consider somewhat significant (or at least worth a mention) are ignored. I attribute much of that to the overall short time allotted to get this information out but then they spend lots of time on Rome's attempt to get China's secret to silk and ignore Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, the Mayans, and more. It's also a bit disconcerting that their on-screen "experts" are people like Anthony Bordon and a former Navy Seal. It's entertaining but because of its omissions so far I have to be somewhat mistrusting of its "facts" and put it in much the same category as Ancient Aliens. It also feels *very* biased towards Western/European Civilization and leaves out much information because of this.

BobO'Link
06-03-15, 01:50 PM
I thought so too, which always bogged my puny brain that someone xggfcounted sffdfpoggygorts.
Looks like you got to my post before I edited it to remove that part and be more firm with my opinion... :D

shadokitty
06-03-15, 02:15 PM
<s>I'm with Peepers... Sports and news has to be older, archive type, stuff and nothing currently running. Even then I'd put them in the Zeitgeist category if they are actual programs that aired live at the time the recording was made.</s>

We got into a somewhat heated discussion a few years back on just what should be allowed. I'm not keen on a repeat visit so I'll just say I'm against Sporting Events or "Hard" News Programs being included no matter *when* they were recorded/aired/played. There's so much that *is* allowed that if you can't find something that fits you aren't trying very hard. Save those two for the MYO challenge.

Exactly my thoughts, even as a newcomer. I even just got two more things today to add to my watch list. The Blue Max, which I rented off of Amazon Instant Video, for $3, which btw, I love that movie, having seen it twice before. I also bought One Six Right off of Amazon Instant Video too, a documentary I had seen once before, about Van Nuys Airport I believe. Been years since I've seen it, so don't quote me.

shadokitty
06-03-15, 02:23 PM
An update for the book I am reading. I'm currently in the fighter aircraft section, and just today finished reading the section on some of the more famous WW1 Aces.

Giles
06-03-15, 02:38 PM
are we getting wild cards for this challenge? - I want to rewatch an Indiana Jones movie.

shadokitty
06-03-15, 03:20 PM
are we getting wild cards for this challenge? - I want to rewatch an Indiana Jones movie.

Zeitgeist wild cards are allowed. You get three of them. I'd allow it.

Just finished a great episode of Flying Through Time on Amazon Prime about the F-104 Starfighter. It may not have been successful in the U.S., but up till the mid 80s, it was almost the standard NATO fighter, and still serves in Turkey.

BobO'Link
06-03-15, 03:47 PM
...I even just got two more things today to add to my watch list. The Blue Max, which I rented off of Amazon Instant Video, for $3, which btw, I love that movie, having seen it twice before.
That's a favorite of mine too. My copy is in the 20th Century Fox "Studio Classics" set (aka Classic Quad #11) I picked up when it first came out (*5* years ago!?!) and *still* haven't opened it! It has: The Blue Max, The Desert Fox, Immortal Sergeant, and Sink the Bismarck all of which are among my most favorite war films. I plan to finally open and watch that set this year! :)

shadokitty
06-03-15, 03:57 PM
That's a favorite of mine too. My copy is in the 20th Century Fox "Studio Classics" set (aka Classic Quad #11) I picked up when it first came out (*5* years ago!?!) and *still* haven't opened it! It has: The Blue Max, The Desert Fox, Immortal Sergeant, and Sink the Bismarck all of which are among my most favorite war films. I plan to finally open and watch that set this year! :)

While I also own Flyboys I have to say The Blue Max is head and shoulders above it.

Trevor
06-04-15, 07:51 AM
I'm of the mindset that older sport events and newscasts are perfect for this Challenge.

Current stuff? Eh. Unless you're 'challenging' yourself to watch stuff you hate, no.

shadokitty
06-04-15, 08:07 PM
After a day and a half of video games, I finally got bored and was ready to watch TV. I just finished an episode of Forensic Files on HLN. Not only did the murder suspect plead guilty, but at the sentencing, he asked for the death penalty. The jury was only too happy to oblige.

ntnon
06-04-15, 10:45 PM
I'd be interested in your thoughts, if you get to it. :)

I'm still reading a history of Silent American Films, but I'm interspersing with fiction, so it's taken/taking ages...

ntnon
06-04-15, 10:54 PM
Works for me. I think I was remembering that I always thought a historical challenge should only include things that were more focused on something historical and not just something that took place in the a generic past time frame.
My memory is that previous discussions have wavered from one end of the "set vaguelly in the past/a genre with ties to history" to "actually set in a recognisable period/time, with pretence at accuracy".

Aren't all documentaries also theoretically eligible, regardless of historical-ness..? Or did I imagine that?! If that's the case, I'd certainly argue that Westerns and War are more 'history" than many documentaries, even if they lack the "Truth" (theoretically) included in the docs. So those things (war/western vs. documentaries) would be two different sides of the History Challenge square/triangle/whatever. Both fine and in the spirit of things, but very different from each other.

ntnon
06-04-15, 11:02 PM
Random historical nuggets! Yes!

Here's one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Pujol_Garcia

Possibly the only person who became a spy on their own, solely to become a self-made double agent, because he didn't like the Nazis. And was so effective in his chosen role that he was paid/extorted money to fund a vast fictional network of spies... sowed misinformation critical (so they say) in keeping many troops away from the D-Day landings, and the ultimate clincher: he won top awards from BOTH SIDES for services rendered, Even though half those services were fake! :)

ntnon
06-04-15, 11:11 PM
Count it anyway. It's war/western-lite anyway, and if (say) Ancient Aliens counts as a documentary*, why should Indiana Jones be discounted for supernatural elements?

I'm watching Young Indiana Jones again this year, and proudly. Historical figures, accurate costumes, super-accurate locales, and packed to the gills with documentaries underlining just how historically accurate it all is... under the adventure story mixed into the plot. QED, older Indy counts there, too. ;)

*i.e. I'm not challenging it counting for the challenge per se, I'm challenging it's accuracy as being called "documentary".... it's entertainment, quoting spurious "experts" on debatable topics.

ntnon
06-04-15, 11:13 PM
That's a favorite of mine too. My copy is in the 20th Century Fox "Studio Classics" set (aka Classic Quad #11) I picked up when it first came out (*5* years ago!?!)...)
Huh. I must have it, too, then. :)

(Did the "missing" Quad set ever materialise, I wonder...?)

BobO'Link
06-05-15, 12:57 AM
(Did the "missing" Quad set ever materialise, I wonder...?)
If it did I've never found it. FWIW that was #10 and I never found the planned titles listed anywhere either.

06-05-15, 11:40 AM
I'd be interested in your thoughts, if you get to it. :)

I'm still reading a history of Silent American Films, but I'm interspersing with fiction, so it's taken/taking ages...

I'm still near the beginning before they start hitting any specific films. It's an interesting topic but someone else needs to do a book on it because it reads like a thesis at times where you'll be in the middle of a paragraph and he'll throw out something similar to "I will attempt to prove this by..."

Remember, this is the time when the first films were popping up and they were still deciding what to call the buildings that played them. People were also trying to decide what angle they'd be. Would motion pictures be considered art, or entertainment, or something else?

There's a lot of similarities to how we view movies today, especially with the "think of the children" aspect. Some were saying they were instruction manuals for kids on how to commit crimes and that the poor kids would skip school to spend all day, every day, watching films.

It's not a long book but how he writes certainly makes it feel like a long novel.

shadokitty
06-05-15, 08:02 PM
I got a late start on the challenge today, since most of the day I was sleeping, or watching the news. I started today with an early episode of Bonanza on AngelTwo.

shadokitty
06-06-15, 08:06 AM
Today is a good day to watch war movies, being the anniversary of D-Day.

BobO'Link
06-06-15, 12:40 PM
I finished Mankind: The Story of All of Us last night. I really can't recommend this one for many reasons, some already stated. Overall it feels like a light version of a documentary aimed at the ADHD generation. I got incredible tired of the repeated use of thier CGI building construction formula. It was cool the first time but after a half dozen or more uses *per episode* it began to wear thin. The "Matrix" style battle sequences also became repetitive and tiring. The script is written *very* chopily which truly didn't help Mr. Brodin's poor performance with the narration. Had he been given sentences longer than 7-8 words he might have done better. As the series progresses it becomes *less* about "All of Us" and more about "Western Civilization" focusing more and more on the United States with each episode making the "Mankind" part of the title a bit misleading.

I finally got around to watching Barry Lyndon (1975) this morning. It's one of the few Kubrick films I'd never seen. It was quite good. I'd been told it's "slow" but I'd say it's more "deliberate" in its telling of the story. I'd watch it again.

MrTerrific
06-06-15, 08:57 PM
I see that a few of you watched Aquarius. Is it worth a watch?

shadokitty
06-07-15, 02:07 PM
Today, it is impossible to do anything but watch TV, so will likely hit the challenge hard today. I lost my glasses, so can barely see.

mrcellophane
06-07-15, 05:05 PM
Today, it is impossible to do anything but watch TV, so will likely hit the challenge hard today. I lost my glasses, so can barely see.

Oh dear! That's not good. Hope you find them.

Yesterday, I went over to my grandparents' house to hang out, eat fried fish, and watch the Belmont. Everyone was ecstatic when American Pharoah won the race and the Triple Crown. I'm pretty sure my mother and aunt got misty eyed.

Before the festivities, I hunkered down and watched Sergeant York. The film is definitely wartime propaganda, but I liked it. Howard Hawks always infuses style into his films, and Gary Cooper is great.

Trevor
06-07-15, 05:34 PM
Hope you found them by now.

I would be lost without glasses. I couldn't drive or watch TV for sure. I could read if I held the book within six inches of my face, and possibly walk around the house without tripping over things, but not much.

shadokitty
06-07-15, 06:58 PM
Oh dear! That's not good. Hope you find them.

Yesterday, I went over to my grandparents' house to hang out, eat fried fish, and watch the Belmont. Everyone was ecstatic when American Pharoah won the race and the Triple Crown. I'm pretty sure my mother and aunt got misty eyed.

Before the festivities, I hunkered down and watched Sergeant York. The film is definitely wartime propaganda, but I liked it. Howard Hawks always infuses style into his films, and Gary Cooper is great.

Hope you found them by now.

I would be lost without glasses. I couldn't drive or watch TV for sure. I could read if I held the book within six inches of my face, and possibly walk around the house without tripping over things, but not much.

No, couldn't find them, but we fixed a spare pair. Better frames anyways, since they look about the same, but are sturdier.

And I could watch my bedroom TV with Roku, because it's right next to my bed.

shadokitty
06-07-15, 09:32 PM
I started watching Band of Brothers tonight on HBO On Demand. I ended up turning the episode off, even though it was a good show. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight. The Pacific is also on HBO On Demand, at least if you watch through Sling TV.

JOE29
06-08-15, 09:33 AM
Had a good time shutting everything out and just watching Mississippi Burning last night. It was a hard movie to watch at times but seeing Hackman and Dafoe was a interesting.
Just finished my 2nd movie of Brian Keith and Charlton Heston, Mountain men. The duo starred in Arrowhead, some 25 years earlier which I was able to watch earlier.

shadokitty
06-08-15, 10:51 AM
Just letting folks know, I'll be around and checking in on the discussion thread, but lately I've been having trouble getting into the challenge itself. I don't know why, as this is one of my favorite challenges. I'e been listening to music, EAA Radio, and playing video games more than watching TV.

06-08-15, 02:01 PM
Why not do what the Sci-fi/Fantasy challenge does and allow radio content? You could then listen to a bunch of History podcasts such as

Hardcore History http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php?page=hharchive
Stuff You Missed in History Class http://castroller.com/podcasts/StuffYouMissed
Skeptoid http://skeptoid.com/episode_guide.php
The History of Rome http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/
China History Podcase http://chinahistorypodcast.com/
Revolutions http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/
No Such Thing as a Fish http://qi.com/podcast/
Out of the Past: Investigating Film Noir http://outofthepast.libsyn.com/
Serial http://serialpodcast.org/
100 Tacks http://kboo.fm/OneHundredTacks https://www.facebook.com/100Tacks

Depending on the subject, these may be history related
In Our Time http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/in-our-time/archive/
This American Life http://thisamericanlife.org/

I highly recommend Act One of http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made In the late 1960s, a California TV repairman named Bob Nelson joined a group of enthusiasts who believed they could cheat death with a new technology called cryonics. But freezing dead people so scientists can reanimate them in the future is a lot harder than it sounds. Harder still was admitting to the family members of people Bob had frozen that he'd screwed up. Sam Shaw reports. (42 minutes)

It was one of the first episodes I ever listened to and wish they'd do more focused shows like this one.

I guess I'll also throw out that I like http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/index.htm on Android for podcasts. I liked it enough for this scrooge to drop cash to get the pro version.

06-08-15, 02:08 PM
I started watching Band of Brothers tonight on HBO On Demand. I ended up turning the episode off, even though it was a good show. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight. The Pacific is also on HBO On Demand, at least if you watch through Sling TV.

I liked Band of Brothers way more than The Pacific. The only thing I want to revisit with The Pacific are the historic bonus features. I really didn't care for the show at all.

I decided to start watching The Rat Pack. I think it's something that could be redone but it really should be turned into an hour long show. A half hour show about raids in Northern Africa during WWII just doesn't seem long enough but they seem to make do with what time they have. I did hit an episode where they reused battle footage from an earlier episode, so that kind of detracted from it. I'm kind of worried it's going to happen more and more.

I also have the Combat series but I went with Rat Pack since the former was 5 seasons and the latter was only 2. I've found it's easier to get through challenges by breaking up movies with a few episodes of something mixed between.

BobO'Link
06-08-15, 02:46 PM
I liked Band of Brothers way more than The Pacific. The only thing I want to revisit with The Pacific are the historic bonus features. I really didn't care for the show at all.
I'm with you... BOB is a far superior product. I could watch it every year and not get bored. I had high hopes for The Pacific but it just didn't play as well. I wonder if that's due to the more disjointed manner in which the Pacific theater was fought.
I decided to start watching The Rat Pack. I think it's something that could be redone but it really should be turned into an hour long show. A half hour show about raids in Northern Africa during WWII just doesn't seem long enough but they seem to make do with what time they have. I did hit an episode where they reused battle footage from an earlier episode, so that kind of detracted from it. I'm kind of worried it's going to happen more and more.
Do you mean The Rat Patrol? I loved that program as a kid and purchased *lots* of miniatures to set up my own scenarios. I really enjoyed it when I revisited it a couple of years back. Those 30 minute episodes didn't bother me at all and kept it tighter than I'd think it would have been in a hour slot. But yeah, there *is* quite a bit of reuse of battle footage. I don't remember actual "battle" footage being recycled but I also spread the episodes out a bit. From what I remember it mostly seemed to be driving/jumping the jeeps across the desert but it did get a bit repetitious.

06-08-15, 03:36 PM
Do you mean The Rat Patrol?

Yes :) I blame the pain meds I took this morning.

But yeah, there *is* quite a bit of reuse of battle footage. I don't remember actual "battle" footage being recycled but I also spread the episodes out a bit. From what I remember it mostly seemed to be driving/jumping the jeeps across the desert but it did get a bit repetitious.

I think the first one that had it recycled was the episode written by Larry Cohen(It's Alive, The Stuff) when sarge got picked up in the desert and woke up in a hospital where the Germans pretended to be American. At the end there's a battle that's thrown in that I remember seeing in the first or second episode, that was just really out of place. It was that episode or the one where sarge and a nazi get chained together and have to work together to survive a walk through the desert.

I just have bad feelings when I see a show start to reuse footage, like the Spider-Man '67 episodes.

KaBluie
06-08-15, 03:45 PM
I see that a few of you watched Aquarius. Is it worth a watch?

Yes!

shadokitty
06-08-15, 04:16 PM
Why not do what the Sci-fi/Fantasy challenge does and allow radio content? You could then listen to a bunch of History podcasts such as

I highly recommend Act One of http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made

It was one of the first episodes I ever listened to and wish they'd do more focused shows like this one.

I guess I'll also throw out that I like http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/index.htm on Android for podcasts. I liked it enough for this scrooge to drop cash to get the pro version.

I like that idea. And since it's count how you want, you can put it as how many points per podcast.

mrcellophane
06-08-15, 04:45 PM

I highly recommend Act One of http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made

Thank you and damn your eyes! I don't need more podcasts to keep up with, but I'm so appreciative when people point out good ones for me. I'm a little over twenty minutes into an episode of Hardcore History and am loving it very much.

This morning I had a load of data entry to do, so I decided to indulge in some documentaries. First up, I watched Altman, a documentary about one of my favorite directors. It's a nice overview of his work, especially the way there were highs and lows. However, there are cheesy segments of actors and directors defining "Altmanesque" that are a bit jarring. Of course, he is one of a handful of directors who actually achieve adjective status, so I can forgive them.

Then I watched Reel Injun, a documentary that gives an overview of the treatment of Native Americans in cinema. There are a lot of interesting points and cringe worthy clips from westerns, including a montage of white actors in redface. There are also contradictory opinions about Dances with Wolves and some thoughts on Smoke Signals that I thought highlighted just how subjective classifying fictional works and intentions can be.

I would wholeheartedly recommend both documentaries to anyone interested in the subjects or Hollywood lore in general. Both are available on Netflix Instant.

06-08-15, 06:19 PM
Know of any good documentaries on Hulu or youtube? I always see an overabundance of poorly done conspiracy theory stuff.

BobO'Link
06-08-15, 07:30 PM
I did some major "catching up" on back catalog over the weekend.

I managed to get in several war films, a "period piece," and a Biblical Epic as well as several documentaries.

The Biblical Epic was Solomon and Sheba (1959) which I don't think I've seen before. Yul Brynner joined the cast as Solomon after Tyrone Power died during production. I've read Brynner did a good job but he's one of the reasons I didn't care for the film more than I did. There's something about his style when he does these costume dramas that just doesn't work for me. I'd really have like to have seen footage shot with Power before his death and think he'd have turned a much better film/performance. It wasn't "bad" but just wasn't as good as I felt it could have been. I like Brynner much better in westerns.

I finally made time to see Anzio (1968). It's another film that could have been better. Overall it wasn't really too bad but the song used for the open was horrid! It's some easy listening thing that just doesn't fit a war film. There are other issues with some poor dialog and somewhat cliche' scripting that prevent this one from being the epic it should have been. I really felt like Robert Mitchum somewhat telegraphed in his role as it just seemed to lack *any* sincerity. The long list of "names" as well as some up-and-comming ones was interesting but not enough to elevate the film above its somewhat pedestrian treatment. It was good but should have been better.

shadokitty
06-08-15, 08:19 PM
I've got 3 1/2 sets of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, so decided to work on those. I've got the Wild Cats, Hunters of the Sky, and Australia's Awesome Animals sets, as well as a partial set of Mammals of North America. Lost a disc or two in a move a few years ago. Now the sets are OOP, so can't replace it.

BobO'Link
06-08-15, 09:18 PM
^I purchased the 50 episode set several years back from Sams Club (under $20) and decided to return it thinking I might not care for it any longer (I watched it regularly growing up). I've regretted it ever since!

FWIW you can currently pick up a "good" used copy of your set missing discs from a Amazon MP vendor for ~$19.

shadokitty
06-09-15, 06:05 AM
I woke up early, so thought I'd get an early start on the challenge. I looked on Dish, and found a show called Scam City on Science. It was about how the tourists are scammed when they go to clubs in Prague.

shadokitty
06-09-15, 07:57 PM
I have a question regarding classification of something, so am asking for opinions. Would Walker, Texas Ranger be considered a neo western? I'm not trying to get another subject eligible, just wondered if it would count anyways?

06-09-15, 10:03 PM
I have a question regarding classification of something, so am asking for opinions. Would Walker, Texas Ranger be considered a neo western? I'm not trying to get another subject eligible, just wondered if it would count anyways?

Not to answer your question but I can't count the amount of times I got called that when I was stationed in Texas, and honestly it still hasn't stopped since I still get called it to this day.

ntnon
06-09-15, 11:37 PM
Know of any good documentaries on Hulu or youtube? I always see an overabundance of poorly done conspiracy theory stuff.
There's a 'Criterion curated' documentaries list (http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/criterion-picks-documentaries) - Hoop Dreams, Life and Times of Harvey Milk, Louie Bluie and some others - that I just looked at for inspiration. Plus many others not on the list - Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe was brief but interesting a year ago.

There's also currently a list of "Period Pieces" picked by Criterion (http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/criterion-picks-period-pieces), which might be a good list for this month.

Can anyone recommend something (films, documentaries, TV) that's either funny, good, uplifting or interesting-but-not-depressing on Amazon Prime or Hulu..? I'm stuck in a Nazi documentary rut: can't turn away, but really want to... :(

ntnon
06-09-15, 11:43 PM
Incidentally, Amazon Prime has the film Conspiracy with Kenneth Branagh, Colin Firth, Kevin McNally and a slew of other recognisable faces as Nazi high-rankers "debating" the final solution. Pretty believable and horrible, but fascinating. Given the paucity of documentary evidence (particularly the entire lack of anything impartial), it's interesting to consider the likelihood of just how much 'debate' went into it: from the film, not much.

(Also, blink-and-you'll-miss-him, but Tom "Loki" Hiddleston is just-about findable if you know where to look, based on his character's name.)

[Word of Warning - The historically fascinating, if fairly cursory, the Soviet-produced-at-the-time documentary The Nuremburg War Crimes Trials (Amazon Prime) ends with shots of the corpses of the hanged Nazis executed for their deeds. If you've (n)ever wanted to see them, now you know...]

shadokitty
06-10-15, 06:14 AM
Since I finished Walking with Dinosaurs, I decided to start working slowly through Walking with Beasts. It's an enjoyable show, from what I can see. Makes me want to see Walking with Monsters sometime.

pacaway
06-10-15, 07:28 AM
Anyone considering counting Jurassic World? ;)

shadokitty
06-10-15, 10:12 AM
Anyone considering counting Jurassic World? ;)

Save it for next month ;)

BobO'Link
06-10-15, 03:21 PM
I watched a few more Mysteries of the Bible episodes yesterday. I enjoyed those when they first aired in the 90s and still prefer their style over the current one of lame/low budget reenactments.

I then switched gears a bit and started S3 of The Tudors, the fairly recent Showtime series. I have a BBC miniseries set that has what's supposed to be one of the better tellings of the Tudor history but figure I should see the sensationalistic, soap opera, version first since I started it back in January and didn't make it all the way through before the TVonDVD Challenge ended.

shadokitty
06-11-15, 06:33 AM
Started today's watching with an episode of Orangutan Island on Animal Planet. I enjoy the show, but aren't often able to catch it.

shadokitty
06-11-15, 04:31 PM
If anyone is interested, due to the passing of Christopher Lee, the documentary series hosted by him, 100 Years of Horror is available on Hulu Plus.

shadokitty
06-12-15, 06:33 PM
One thing about Angel Two. There are some good westerns on it. Just finished an episode of The Roy Rogers Show, as an example.

Doc Moonlight
06-13-15, 08:32 AM
In tribute to Sir Christoper Lee, I watched "Pirates of Blood River" and "Devil Ship Pirates". The Hammer swashbucklers are generally overlooked, but are a lot of fun.

BobO'Link
06-13-15, 04:39 PM
I just finished a viewing of one of my all-time-favorite biographical films, Becket (1964).

It received a Best Picture nomination as well as Best Actor for both Burton and O'Toole, Best Director for Peter Glenville, Best Supporting Actor for John Gielgud, and several "technical" area nominations. Out of 12 nominations, all it won was "Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium."

Here is what it was up against that year:

Best Picture Winner (12 nominations, 8 wins):
My Fair Lady

Other Best Picture nominees:
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (4 nominations)
Mary Poppins (13 nominations, 5 wins)
Zorba the Greek (7 nominations, 3 wins)

That's some tough competition!

ntnon
06-13-15, 11:06 PM
Three today: The most recent Lone Ranger, which I think is excellent, The Naked Jungle which started off stodgily with a will-they-woin't-they(of course they will) dance of arguments and disagreements, and then took a bizarre turn into ANTpocalypse territory, and then thanks to the TCM app, finally got to see THE MAN OF LA MANCHA, the Cervantes/Don Quixote musical with Sophia Loren, Brian Blessed and Peter O'Toole.

This time round with the Lone Ranger, I was much more conscious of the bashing it took for being racist... but still can't reconcile that criticism with the film I watch. I know several (here) disliked it for not being serious enough with regards John Reid; I know many reviewers felt it bloated, or confusing, or irrelevant; and I certainly know that much of the pointed fingers are at Mr Depp being cast over an actor with the correct background playing a Native American. I can grasp all of those points - and rebut most - but, unless "racist" equates one-to-one with Depp-as-Tonto, I just don't see why this film is labelled that way. (I have some limited sympathy with the suggestion that the very concept of the Lone Ranger is inherently problematic - although I was amused to read one critic say that the partnership was 'historically unlikely'... isn't that unlikelihood deliberately subverting accusations of racism?! While Jay Silverheels' iteration gets a kicking for his being scripted to talk in broken English, but is rightly praised as being well cast and prominent... and it's the 'unlikely partnership' that did that. Clearly in the Hammer/Depp film, Depp's being cast does detract from that partnership - but is his casting alone enough to blacklist the whole film?)

Tonto is presented here as having severe delusions, derived in whole or part from PTSD/injuries sustained in the backstory. Tonto is criticised and mocked by other Comanche (better cast) for speaking in 'Tonto speak', underlining that that outmoded way of presenting his characters is both deliberate and singular: every other Native American is shown to be able to speak two languages, and English as well as anyone else. They are further deliberately shown to have been manipulated and duped, then slaughtered viciously (and unfairly). The film is far more damning to the railway men (corrupt, duplicitous, evil), the Army (manipulated, bribe-able, unable to backtrack when presented with evidence of misdeeds), even the Rangers (easily led astray, pigheaded, possibly corrupt).

I like that John grows from a greenhorn to a viable hero. I like that Tonto evolves from ascribing the evil that men do to supernatural forces to recognising that they the main villain is "just a(nother stupid white) man." And the opening and closing train sequences are epic and brilliant.

It's too long (although it all fits together, is hard to see what could be left out, and frankly baffling that anyone couldn't follow the plot: it's nuanced and mildly complicated, but easy to fathom). It's very oddly targeted: children mightn't sit through or understand it; teens might find it overlong; adults may baulk at the non-Clayton-ness of it. But otherwise, it's really a very enjoyable and engrossing film.

The Naked Jungle was picked out "because the words had ants on them," and seemed an unlikely choice, but turned at the halfway-point from being dull and VERY predictable into a strange (if still VERY predictable) adventure/disaster film. With ants as the main antagonist! It also could have been a lot more troubling from a racial point of view.

Man of La Mancha was also thoroughly enjoyable. I knew two of the songs, and now... still only remember those two. The rest a pretty unmemorable, I feel, but the film is great. I recall a film last year about the Marquis de Sade that had a similar 'telling my stories while in jail' framing device, and I wasn't totally sold here about Cervantes' personal scenes, but the Quixote story and the (sometimes dubious) messages it put forward about the insanity of sanity and the relative need to try and see things through rose-tinted glasses in order to both survive the horrors of life and effect change for the better were fairly deep thoughts then... and still are now. I wish Terry Gilliam's Mancha efforts hadn't been in vain, because the points of similarity between 'Mancha and 'Munchausen suggest he'd have done an excellent job. At the same time, since we do have "Baron Munchausen," I suppose he'd have been re-treading ground to some extent.

JOE29
06-14-15, 12:08 AM
I had a bad week this week. Only getting in 3 movies. I hope to make up some ground in the next couple of days. Being off from work. I should be able to improve on my total a bit.

Trevor
06-14-15, 06:12 AM
I had a bad week this week. Only getting in 3 movies. I hope to make up some ground in the next couple of days. Being off from work. I should be able to improve on my total a bit.
You're doing better than I am Joe. This has the makings of my worst Challenge ever. I've watched exactly two things all month, The Babadook and Mars Needs Moms, and neither count. Well, they both could be true.....

06-15-15, 04:10 PM
My flow for the challenge has been:
3 episodes of Dark Shadows, which doesn't count except for the one I caught where it takes place during the time of the Salem witch trials.

3 episodes of The Rat Patrol

1 episode of A Haunting

And a movie thrown in between the above when I'm just not in the mood to watch a few episodes of something.

Then I started reading, giving up on the early cinema book because I started some other books that aren't dry at all. I'm in the middle of reading Smoke & Mirrors and Steven Seagal: The Burning Pants of Popular Culture. This has been causing me to stop multiple times to look up videos on youtube and articles on wikipedia, which then lead to more youtube videos.

James Hydrick was pretty interesting to learn about. While some sites and law enforcement officials downplay his multiple escapes from prison, the dude karate kicked down a cement wall at one prison and pole vaulted over a wall at a Utah prison, and apparently some bar bending as well, among some of the more interesting escapes.

Would you like to know more?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfMsZwr8rc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30o7_iy-O1g

BobO'Link
06-15-15, 06:07 PM
I got a very good deal on the recent BBC series Robin Hood so purchased it last week. I'd not intended to open it so soon but S1 was inserted into the box backwards so I opened it to make sure it really *was* S1 and not one of the other seasons duplicated. It's OK and since it was already open I decided to start watching as it qualifies.

It's much like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in tone but pretty much in keeping with the Robin Hood Legend. I get a kick out of the Sheriff's attitude and comments. Guy of Gisborne is a royal PITA. Robin is a bit cocky and, at least so far, takes all the glory barely letting any of the "band of merrie men" help. They (the band) don't seem to be as adept or on-the-ball as the ones from the Errol Flynn film and the histories are changed for those with "familiar" names. Overall it's cheesy fun.

shadokitty
06-15-15, 08:57 PM
Just finished a good episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Round-up on the Rupununi. It was the episode where Marlin first met Stan Brock. One nice thing about these DVD sets, is that they have episodes from all eras of the show on them, from the 60s to the 80s. I also have to wonder, if Steve Irwin had been more like Marlin Perkins, if he'd still be alive. Marlin always let his assistants do the dangerous jobs.

BobO'Link
06-16-15, 05:21 AM
Just finished a good episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Round-up on the Rupununi. It was the episode where Marlin first met Stan Brock. One nice thing about these DVD sets, is that they have episodes from all eras of the show on them, from the 60s to the 80s. I also have to wonder, if Steve Irwin had been more like Marlin Perkins, if he'd still be alive. Marlin always let his assistants do the dangerous jobs.
Yeah... one of my favorite comments that seemingly was repeated every few shows would be Marlin saying something along the lines of "While I sit in the relative safety of this tree, Jim will wrestle the crazed wildcat below." Priceless! :D

shadokitty
06-16-15, 05:38 AM
I woke up early, so decided to pop in disc 3 of the Wild Kingdom set I'm working my way through. Just finished Cheetah Country, about a family of cheetahs, showing the kittens as they were growing up.

Ash Ketchum
06-16-15, 08:47 AM
I watched THE LAST EMPEROR (1987) and, as the opening credits rolled, I saw "Victor Wong" and "Dennis Dun" and immediately wondered if this was a sequel to BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1985). BIG TROUBLE IN BIG CHINA, maybe.

I've been reading a book about Yoshiko Kawashima, a cousin of the Last Emperor and a character in the movie, under the name Eastern Jewel, and what I'm reading in the book about the emperor, his wife and this character don't match at all what's in Bertolucci's film. I wonder if there's a website anywhere that describes what's accurate--or not--in the film. Kawashima's a most fascinating character and I've seen two Hong Kong movies about her and one in which she's a supporting character.

BobO'Link
06-16-15, 09:01 AM
I woke up early, so decided to pop in disc 3 of the Wild Kingdom set I'm working my way through. Just finished Cheetah Country, about a family of cheetahs, showing the kittens as they were growing up.
You're just about to convince me to finally pick up one of the WC sets that's not so expensive! With every one of your comments about the series I regret returning that set years ago even more! :lol:

shadokitty
06-16-15, 07:49 PM
I just finished Animal Superpowers on Snag Films on Roku. It's a good series that focus on the different abilities certain animals have, and hosted by Patrick Stewart. I think he looks better with a goatee. It's also a short series at only three episodes.

mrcellophane
06-17-15, 01:06 PM
Yesterday, I finally watched Life Itself (2014), the documentary about the life of Roger Ebert. Some portions were very difficult to watch, and I teared up several times. If you have any interest in Ebert or the evolution/popularization of film criticism and commentary, I would highly recommend it. Unlike the Robert Altman documentary I watched earlier this month, this one kept the cheesiness at bay.

I've also continued watching Mad Men and am currently in the third season. By this time, the show's preoccupation with the novelty of its setting has faded. It has become an exploration of repression and the problems that arise from a society half unwilling to deal with the inherent flaws in its system and half feeling its way through the darkness.

JOE29
06-17-15, 01:12 PM
I have a suggestion that when this challenge is over that everyone pick the best thing that they've watched during the challenge. New or old. Or possibly the top 3? Just a thought.

davidh777
06-17-15, 02:31 PM
I've been watching period musicals and their accompanying documentaries.

The two-hour Rent documentary is pretty amazing, covering the making of the musical and the movie, and the life of Jonathan Larson, and how hard he worked in order to become an "overnight success" with Rent, only to lose that as well when he died of a brain aneurysm just before the show opened. :(

Accompanying Easter Parade was the Judy Garland: By Myself documentary, so titled because it uses some of Judy's words from interviews and such, but that's kind of a gimmick in what seems like a very solid documentary covering her years in Hollywood (and how drugs were used to keep up with a relentless schedule, causing some of her later problems) and subsequent fall. Man, these were both kind of downers. :(

I also watched Gigi, which I've never liked as much as American in Paris, and it still has limited appeal for me. I like Leslie Caron, but something about it doesn't work--maybe leading man Louis Jourdan.

06-17-15, 03:06 PM
I have a suggestion that when this challenge is over that everyone pick the best thing that they've watched during the challenge. New or old. Or possibly the top 3? Just a thought.

If you do a tv series or serial, do you pick the entire thing or a specific episode/chapter or is it just up to the person?

BobO'Link
06-17-15, 03:38 PM
I also watched Gigi, which I've never liked as much as American in Paris, and it still has limited appeal for me. I like Leslie Caron, but something about it doesn't work--maybe leading man Louis Jourdan.
For me it was Maurice Chevalier's character that didn't work. He just seemed creepy/smarmy.

davidh777
06-17-15, 05:00 PM
For me it was Maurice Chevalier's character that didn't work. He just seemed creepy/smarmy.

What, an old guy singing about little girls was creepy? :lol:

I'm not wild about him, but he's a peripheral character anyway.

I guess it's the whole package. The songs aren't that great either.

shadokitty
06-17-15, 05:58 PM
If you do a tv series or serial, do you pick the entire thing or a specific episode/chapter or is it just up to the person?

I'll leave it up to the person.

Trevor
06-17-15, 08:36 PM
Not sure what happened the last few days, but I've gone from 0 to 100 on the Challenge front. Watched a couple documentaries, the 1923 Ten Commandments, the 1956 Ten Commandents, and just got five free Redbox rentals including the new Exodus.

I'm sure anyone interested follows our redbox thread and knows this, but code JUNE17 gives you unlimited free rentals today only.

shadokitty
06-17-15, 10:07 PM
I can't get into the challenge today, so just been watching random things while I wait for DCUO to come back up. This morning I watched the first episodes of WWE Nxt on Hulu, and now I'm watching UFC 181 on UFC Fight Pass.

I think I'm just bored, and that's hurting my depression.

mrcellophane
06-17-15, 11:33 PM
Not sure what happened the last few days, but I've gone from 0 to 100 on the Challenge front. Watched a couple documentaries, the 1923 Ten Commandments, the 1956 Ten Commandents, and just got five free Redbox rentals including the new Exodus.

I'm sure anyone interested follows our redbox thread and knows this, but code JUNE17 gives you unlimited free rentals today only.

Glad you are enjoying some challenge-related material. I'm such a huge fan of the 1956 Ten Commandments! It's so earnestly epic! I need to watch the 1923 version.

I am watching and enjoying Foyle's War, a British mystery series about a police detective during WWII. Often the war and its effects intersect with the crimes. There is also an essay included on each DVD about the historical influences for the episodes.

shadokitty
06-18-15, 08:42 AM
I just watched my first Netflix DVD of the challenge, the Himalayas episode of Nature. It was very good, but was hoping for some bonus features.

JOE29
06-18-15, 10:07 AM

I would say a specific episode. But whatever you want.

shadokitty
06-18-15, 11:04 AM
Taking a break from DVD's, I turned on TV, and found a good show on crocodiles living in a cave on Nat Geo Wild. It was called Croc Labyrinth.

BobO'Link
06-18-15, 01:57 PM
I finished the first season of the newer Robin Hood series. It got better as it went along but still reminded me of the tone of the Hercules series with Kevin Sorbo. The Sheriff is still a hoot and Guy of Gisborne got meaner as the series progressed. At the start of S2 he's pretty much turned into full bore villain and the series feels a bit more serious. That may not continue as I've only watched the first couple of S2 episodes. Robin has tempered somewhat and relies on his "band of merry men" more but is still somewhat the showoff. Overall, it's still a fun show and short enough I'll probably try to finish it before the month's out.

I still want to finish The Tudors since I have only 1 season of 10 shows left. Then I need to watch Elizabeth: The Golden Years since I watched the first movie which lead me to pick back up with The Tudors.

I'm also about half-way through a Mysteries of the Bible set I purchased a few years back. I really want to finish it before the month's over.

Frankly I think all that will pretty much fill the rest of my available time. I *do* have the last 2 days of the month scheduled as vacation - but it's summer and we have 3 grand kids most days. They will take up most, if not all, of that time. Don't take that as a complaint! I greatly enjoy spending time playing with them!

I'm absolutely not getting in as much viewing as I'd wanted. I still have a WWII box set I picked up a couple of years ago. It's one of those Mill Creek affairs with enough content to fill a month. I'd wanted to watch at least some of it this month. Maybe...

shadokitty
06-19-15, 08:18 AM
Today, I'm watching TV to get my mind off worry and depression. My gram's not good, and I don't even know if she'll make it to the end of the day. She's crying non stop, saying this is the end, and her pulse is very slow.

To keep my mind on other things, I watched Life After People on The History Channel. The episode was Bodies Left Behind.

BobO'Link
06-19-15, 10:34 AM
^ I saw the first 15 minutes of that one before I had to start getting ready for work. I found it quite laughable as they kept harping on power going out and repeating themselves. I'd say I got ~3 minutes of interesting information from that 15 minutes due to all the repetition. I really like the premise but what I saw had little payoff. Even so... I'd have watched the whole program had I not had to leave.

shadokitty
06-19-15, 05:02 PM
I just reached 100 items watched with the 'Strange Abductions' episode of Ancient Aliens. It was a good episode, dealing with alien contact of all sorts.

shadokitty
06-20-15, 06:19 AM
The next series I started working on is Africa. I just finished the first episode, about the Kalahari.

Doc Moonlight
06-21-15, 12:43 PM
Yesterday, I finally watched Life Itself (2014), the documentary about the life of Roger Ebert. Some portions were very difficult to watch, and I teared up several times. If you have any interest in Ebert or the evolution/popularization of film criticism and commentary, I would highly recommend it. Unlike the Robert Altman documentary I watched earlier this month, this one kept the cheesiness at bay.

I watched it, too. Really liked it, but I don't see myself revisiting it. It was really brave (although totally in character with his values) for Ebert to allow himself to be photographed in his condition.

shadokitty
06-21-15, 10:03 PM
I'll be up all night tonight. Sitting with my gram, as we don't know if she'll make the night. She's telling her dead brother to take her home.

mrcellophane
06-21-15, 10:15 PM
I'll be up all night tonight. Sitting with my gram, as we don't know if she'll make the night. She's telling her dead brother to take her home.

How terrible. I'm so sorry.

shadokitty
06-21-15, 10:22 PM
How terrible. I'm so sorry.

Thank you, and if you don't mind, hugs?

shadokitty
06-22-15, 09:33 PM
I finished Season 1 of Ancient Aliens, so decided to go right into Season 2.

06-22-15, 11:00 PM
I finished Season 1 of Ancient Aliens, so decided to go right into Season 2.

Good luck. I thought the show declined after the first season and only made it a few episodes into season 2. Maybe they did something different after I stopped watching.

shadokitty
06-22-15, 11:25 PM
Good luck. I thought the show declined after the first season and only made it a few episodes into season 2. Maybe they did something different after I stopped watching.

Thanks. I have the first four seasons on DVD, so some time plan to get through them all. Got next month too, though.

Took a break after the first episode, to watch An Apology to Elephants on HBO On Demand. It was an enlightening, and sad documentary about elephants in captivity.

JOE29
06-23-15, 12:59 AM
Gotta get going on this. It's the last full week. I want to get in a couple of longer movies.
Possibly Kingdom of Heaven, The Longest Day, Good the Bad the Ugly. Tora Tora Tora to name a few.
Possibly Friday, Saturday morning for some long movies, because i'm off. Have to stick with the shorter ones for now.
Haven't done any Clint E yet. Have to fit him in at least 1. Sorry it's late and i'm rambling.

shadokitty
06-23-15, 07:49 AM
Gotta get going on this. It's the last full week. I want to get in a couple of longer movies.
Possibly Kingdom of Heaven, The Longest Day, Good the Bad the Ugly. Tora Tora Tora to name a few.
Possibly Friday, Saturday morning for some long movies, because i'm off. Have to stick with the shorter ones for now.
Haven't done any Clint E yet. Have to fit him in at least 1. Sorry it's late and i'm rambling.

I plan to revisit Tora Tora Tora myself this week.

06-23-15, 10:47 AM
Thanks. I have the first four seasons on DVD, so some time plan to get through them all. Got next month too, though.

Let me know how it goes. It's been a few years but I just remember instead of different topics for season 1, they just kinda stayed with the same general theme in season 2. At least for the few I watched.

It seemed to me that they might not have been planning to go past season 1 when they were making those shows, so they tried to cover as much as they could, prematurely blowing their load in the process.

BobO'Link
06-23-15, 12:38 PM
Let me know how it goes. It's been a few years but I just remember instead of different topics for season 1, they just kinda stayed with the same general theme in season 2. At least for the few I watched.

It seemed to me that they might not have been planning to go past season 1 when they were making those shows, so they tried to cover as much as they could, prematurely blowing their load in the process.
I own the first 5 seasons and *think* I've watched through season 2. From what I've seen on occasion when I've caught it on the air it does start to get somewhat repetitive. I'm toying with starting season 3 (if that's where I left off) later this week or early next week, especially during the challenge overlap time.

JOE29
06-23-15, 01:07 PM
I plan to revisit Tora Tora Tora myself this week.

Especially in 5.1 surround sound. It's really great.

BobO'Link
06-23-15, 05:09 PM
I'm about to finish the third season of the BBC's Robin Hood (two episodes left). This last season has been very uneven with the appearance that the show runners couldn't decide just which direction to take several characters. Several go back-and-forth from bad to good to bad to good so often you just stop caring. Even the lead characters are taken on this ride with those to the point you wonder just how gullible they (the leads) can be. At this point they've killed:

Marian - Seriously? How do you kill Robin's main squeeze? Maybe the actress playing the roll decided the series was headed into the crapper and bailed. If so, she was right.
The Sheriff of Nottingham - Again, how do you kill the main antagonist for Robin? By bringing in a new character out of left field and putting *her* (yes, a woman, in Medieval times no less) in the job *after* being wishy-washy about Robin to the point of you just don't know *what* she's supposed to be.
Robin - Yep... in the last episode (which I haven't seen yet and found this out accidentally when looking for why a 4th season wasn't produced). The actor playing Robin decided to leave the series so of course you can't continue. After the last few episodes I've seen I don't blame him!

One of the episodes I saw

links Robin and Guy as almost step brothers because Robin's father and Guy's mother had a affair when everyone thought Guy's father had been killed in the Crusades. She became pregnant right before Guy's father came back - with leprosy (which they hid from everyone so he wouldn't be sent to a leper colony). Trouble is, Robin's father, who was thought dead, comes back in a very contrived way to tell Robin and Guy what *really* happened when the boys thought Guy had burned the house killing his mother, father, and Robin's father (who actually got away but was seriously burned). He reveals they have a brother (named Archer - yeah... and he's good with a bow & arrow) so they go off looking for the "brother" who's in jail and couldn't care less about either of them (imagine that) other than that they supposedly had money (which neither does at this point). The thing is, Guy's *sister* is never mentioned or seen in the flashbacks - keep in mind that *she* is the current Sheriff of Nottingham.

That episode proved to me the creators had completely run out of ideas and were just coasting.

I'm ready to move on to something else. I enjoyed the first two seasons partly because of the cheesyness of the series and partly because of the Sheriff (a real hoot!). If/when I rewatch this one I'll be sure to stop after the second season - much like the creators/BBC should have done.

**EDIT**
I just finished the last two episodes. In spite of a uneven season it ended rather strongly. It also ended open enough that they *could* have continued the series had they wished but I'm glad they didn't as it has good closure.

shadokitty
06-24-15, 10:39 AM
I was in the mood for something about aviation, as I'm getting more and more excited about Oshkosh next month. Therefore, I looked on Amazon, and decided to watch a documentary I bought, called One Six Right. It's a great film for anyone interested either in the Van Nuys Airport, or just general aviation in general.

shadokitty
06-24-15, 07:40 PM
I just finished the first episode of Disc 2 of Season two of Ancient Aliens. It was an interesting supposition that theorized about the Nazis getting their advanced technology with help from extra terrestrials.

shadokitty
06-25-15, 05:56 AM
I couldn't sleep, so decided to work on my challenge. Found an interesting documentary on Epix, called Stories We Tell. Basically, it is about a family of storytellers.

shadokitty
06-26-15, 12:25 AM
I'm wired, on a high tonight for some reason, so plan to stay up all night watching TV, with a good portion being challenge eligible content.

JOE29
06-26-15, 12:45 AM
Just got out of work a little while ago. The wife is away visiting relatives. I'm about to put on Patton and crank it up really loud. 1 am in the morning to boot!

While scanning everyones lists I noticed In Search of was available to buy. I noticed that they have season sets out. I'll have to get a few sometime soon.
I had forgotten all about this tv show.

shadokitty
06-27-15, 06:47 PM
One thing I like about Sling TV is the On Demand section. I get to see a lot of the more recent Ancient Aliens for example. I just finished the Season 7 episode, 'Alien Breeders'. At least in my opinion, the recent seasons seem to be better than the repetition of the first few. There is a lot more variety of topics discussed.

06-27-15, 09:36 PM
My big thing for the day was taking the fan off of my computer and getting rid of the dust that had built up on the heatsink. My pc is back to running completely silent and I can't even tell if it's on, just by the sound. It's back to how it was when I first got it.

shadokitty
06-28-15, 06:01 AM
I woke up early and couldn't fall back to sleep, so put in a disc of Ancient Aliens, Season 3. Just finished the Aliens and Monsters episode.

shadokitty
06-28-15, 05:09 PM
Since the Challenge is nearly over, I thought I'd ask how people's month went. Did you enjoy yourself. Did you reach your goals. A little wind went out of my sails after my gram passed away. However, after a couple days, I was back in it. My family told me that gram wouldn't want me moping.

I still enjoyed myself, and got a lot of good documentaries in, though there were some movies, I never got around to watching. I'd say I reached my goals however.

Trevor
06-28-15, 06:47 PM
Since the Challenge is nearly over, I thought I'd ask how people's month went. Did you enjoy yourself. Did you reach your goals. A little wind went out of my sails after my gram passed away. However, after a couple days, I was back in it. My family told me that gram wouldn't want me moping.

I still enjoyed myself, and got a lot of good documentaries in, though there were some movies, I never got around to watching. I'd say I reached my goals however.
Hey now, we still have nearly three full days left, that's about 10% of the Challenge!

That said, I may be done, unless I find some cross Challenge material.

Had a fun month. Between Bob and Peepers analysis and your daily updates the thread was always entertaining and moving. Ended up watching about twice what I planned. Maybe by next <s>year</s> century I'll be organized and have a better plan of attack.

Doc Moonlight
06-28-15, 08:36 PM
I had to do a lot of traveling this month, so my "numbers" suffered, but I still managed to get some good films in.

For those of you who have MGM HD, they are showing a beautiful, color print of PURSUIT OF THE GRAF SPEE. It's not available on DVD or BluRay domestically, so I ordered a German Blu-Ray, hopefully it looks as good. It features a unique broadly comic performance from Christopher Lee as a cafe owner. He doesn't speak much, his few words are not in English, but the does a lot of physical comedy, which is really unusual. The film also features Patrick MacNee as a naval officer.

BobO'Link
06-28-15, 09:11 PM
I've spent the past few days concentrating on some movies I've been wanting to watch.

I watched the 2nd film of the "Elizabeth, Queen of England" series: Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007). While it was enjoyable I didn't like it as much as the first film. It makes me really want to finally crack open my copies of Anne of the Thousand Days and especially Mary Queen of Scots since they are essentially companion films in spite of being produced decades before. I *still* have the 3 BBC "Tudor" miniseries (Henry VII, Henry VIII, Elizabeth) I'd wanted to watch but at this point don't think I'll get to them. I *do* plan to try and finish Starz' The Tudors series since I'm down to S4 (10 episodes).

After that came Battle of the Bulge (1965) a interesting film in spite of being a historically-inaccurate account. It has a very good cast, lots of excellent battle scenes, and some good drama. Overall it's a good action/war film that would have been better had they attempted to be more accurate.

Yesterday brought The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), a lavish road-show production. While the film could have been better it's still quite good. My biggest complaint was the first half seemed a bit slow as it was mostly talk/character development which could have been shortened a bit. It boasts a stellar cast with superb costuming and sets. Although seeing Alec Guinness in classic Roman attire made me think constantly of Star Wars many times he was on the screen... oh well... it could be worse...

Then... Advance to the Rear (1964) whose synopsis reminded me of TV's F-Troop. "In the war between the blue and the gray, one soldier is yellow! When a cranky Union colonel is labeled a coward after his horse bolts for the rear, the brass puts him in command of a company of the brainless and brawnless and sends them all West." While it's *nothing* like the TV show it *is* still a somewhat funny film with a very recognizable cast: Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens, Melvyn Douglas, Jim Backus, Joan Blondell, Alan Hale Jr., Whit Bissell, and more.

Today has been more serious fare with a series of John Wayne films I've never seen before. First up was The Searchers, a film I'd always heard about but never seeen. It was quite good. I then decided to finish watching the films I've not yet seen in a John Wayne/John Ford collection I picked up some time back and have been *slowly* working through. That brought 3 Godfathers, a OK film but nothing truly spectacular other than the scenery (and boy! What scenery and desert effects!) and the 2nd of John Ford's "Calvary Trilogy," She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. That one was much better. Again there is the great scenery of the west you just don't see any more in films along with lots of action. Even Wayne's makeup to make him look 20 years older looks pretty good. I found it interesting that the film opens with the news of Custer's defeat at the Battle of The Little Big Horn. That small bit makes me want to pull my copies of Custer of the West (1967) and Geronimo: An American Legend (1993) from the unwatched pile and work them in.

Yeah... once again... too much product and too little time!

shadokitty
06-29-15, 04:50 AM
I've been up since the middle of the night, wide awake, so decided to get an early start on the challenge for the day. Just finished an episode of In Search of Aliens, about the alien code, on H2 On Demand.

06-29-15, 04:18 PM
I hate those "What If?" books where the author takes a significant event that happens within their story and forces it to be something that doesn't seem quite likely, just so it works with whatever conclusion they already have in mind.

shadokitty
06-29-15, 06:10 PM
I just finished one of my Netflix DVD's, Prehistoric Planet. It is a modified version of Walking With Dinosaurs, for children. I didn't know that when I put it in my queue, but Ben Stiller made a good narrator, so it was still a good show. Apparently, it was made for Discovery Kids.

JOE29
06-30-15, 10:55 AM
Well I must say that i'm done with my list. Had to cut it short a few days ago. The latest storm we had resulted in water in my basement. Had to relocate a lot of my things. So movie watching has been the last thing on my mind to do before and even a bit after the challenge is over. I wanted to get in a few more at least but that's not happening.

shadokitty
06-30-15, 11:27 AM
Well I must say that i'm done with my list. Had to cut it short a few days ago. The latest storm we had resulted in water in my basement. Had to relocate a lot of my things. So movie watching has been the last thing on my mind to do before and even a bit after the challenge is over. I wanted to get in a few more at least but that's not happening.

Sorry to hear about your basement flooding. I hope it's not too bad.

I've been watching Ancient Aliens today, to get me in the mood for the beginning of the next challenge.

JOE29
06-30-15, 01:15 PM
I've spent the past few days concentrating on some movies I've been wanting to watch.

I watched the 2nd film of the "Elizabeth, Queen of England" series: Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007). While it was enjoyable I didn't like it as much as the first film. It makes me really want to finally crack open my copies of Anne of the Thousand Days and especially Mary Queen of Scots since they are essentially companion films in spite of being produced decades before. I *still* have the 3 BBC "Tudor" miniseries (Henry VII, Henry VIII, Elizabeth) I'd wanted to watch but at this point don't think I'll get to them. I *do* plan to try and finish Starz' The Tudors series since I'm down to S4 (10 episodes).

After that came Battle of the Bulge (1965) a interesting film in spite of being a historically-inaccurate account. It has a very good cast, lots of excellent battle scenes, and some good drama. Overall it's a good action/war film that would have been better had they attempted to be more accurate.

Yesterday brought The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), a lavish road-show production. While the film could have been better it's still quite good. My biggest complaint was the first half seemed a bit slow as it was mostly talk/character development which could have been shortened a bit. It boasts a stellar cast with superb costuming and sets. Although seeing Alec Guinness in classic Roman attire made me think constantly of Star Wars many times he was on the screen... oh well... it could be worse...

Then... Advance to the Rear (1964) whose synopsis reminded me of TV's F-Troop. "In the war between the blue and the gray, one soldier is yellow! When a cranky Union colonel is labeled a coward after his horse bolts for the rear, the brass puts him in command of a company of the brainless and brawnless and sends them all West." While it's *nothing* like the TV show it *is* still a somewhat funny film with a very recognizable cast: Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens, Melvyn Douglas, Jim Backus, Joan Blondell, Alan Hale Jr., Whit Bissell, and more.

Today has been more serious fare with a series of John Wayne films I've never seen before. First up was The Searchers, a film I'd always heard about but never seeen. It was quite good. I then decided to finish watching the films I've not yet seen in a John Wayne/John Ford collection I picked up some time back and have been *slowly* working through. That brought 3 Godfathers, a OK film but nothing truly spectacular other than the scenery (and boy! What scenery and desert effects!) and the 2nd of John Ford's "Calvary Trilogy," She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. That one was much better. Again there is the great scenery of the west you just don't see any more in films along with lots of action. Even Wayne's makeup to make him look 20 years older looks pretty good. I found it interesting that the film opens with the news of Custer's defeat at the Battle of The Little Big Horn. That small bit makes me want to pull my copies of Custer of the West (1967) and Geronimo: An American Legend (1993) from the unwatched pile and work them in.

You mention a lot of great movies here. A lot that i'm proud to own on DVD.
And your last statement say's it all!

And thanks Shadokitty for the kind words.

Ash Ketchum
06-30-15, 01:58 PM

Have you seen the first film in Ford's Cavalry trilogy, FORT APACHE (1948)? That's a thinly veiled reworking of the Custer story, with Henry Fonda as the Custer-type character and Wayne as his protesting second-in-command. One of Ford's finest, if you ask me. Miguel Inclan (Mexican actor from Luis Bunuel's LOS OLVIDADOS) plays Cochise. (Yes, it's about 900 miles south of Little Big Horn.)

Glad you finally saw THE SEARCHERS. What took you?

BobO'Link
06-30-15, 03:29 PM
Have you seen the first film in Ford's Cavalry trilogy, FORT APACHE (1948)? That's a thinly veiled reworking of the Custer story, with Henry Fonda as the Custer-type character and Wayne as his protesting second-in-command. One of Ford's finest, if you ask me. Miguel Inclan (Mexican actor from Luis Bunuel's LOS OLVIDADOS) plays Cochise. (Yes, it's about 900 miles south of Little Big Horn.)
Yes, I watched Fort Apache in the *2011*(!?!) Historical Challenge. It's part of a John Wayne/John Ford collection I purchased in December 09. I've been *slowly* working through it and finally finished all the films with the challenge this year. I enjoyed Fort Apache so much that I picked up a copy of Rio Grande, the third film of the trilogy. I really don't understand why *it* wasn't included in that set instead of one of the other titles.
Glad you finally saw THE SEARCHERS. What took you?
Growing up, John Wayne films were seemingly a dime-a-dozen and I didn't consider myself much of a fan. I usually avoided his films and by my late teens had mostly given up westerns (although when younger watched lots of westerns - maybe I burned myself out - but I don't know for sure as I have no distinct memory of why/when I stopped watching them). It's only been in the past 10-15 years I've re-embraced the genre and have been catching up on some classics I missed over the years.

JOE29
07-02-15, 12:42 AM
Off of my list this year the best movie that I watched was
Pork Chop Hill- 1953. I didin't have any Korean War movies until I bought this one recently. It's Black & White and dark. And it's all war. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it so much.
Runner Ups-
To Hell and Back- Always enjoyed the Audie Murphy story.
Fort Apache- My favorite John Wayne movie.

I wanted to get in some Eastwood or a good long movie like The Longest Day, Red Cliff etc. But I just didn't have time.
Plus cutting things short didn't help either.
But I enjoyed the Historical Challenge like I have every year and I look forward to it again next year.

shadokitty
07-02-15, 06:39 AM
Off of my list this year the best movie that I watched was
Pork Chop Hill- 1953. I didin't have any Korean War movies until I bought this one recently. It's Black & White and dark. And it's all war. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it so much.
Runner Ups-
To Hell and Back- Always enjoyed the Audie Murphy story.
Fort Apache- My favorite John Wayne movie.

I wanted to get in some Eastwood or a good long movie like The Longest Day, Red Cliff etc. But I just didn't have time.
Plus cutting things short didn't help either.
But I enjoyed the Historical Challenge like I have every year and I look forward to it again next year.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think my favorite new view was an HBO documentary called Baghdad ER, about a combat support hospital over in Iraq.

omike
07-02-15, 03:43 PM
I also had a good time with this years challenge and was able to fit in just enough B-westerns to last me for a while. I particularly liked Tim Holt in the two westerns I saw him in, even though I didn't care for one of the films all that much. He's probably best know for playing one of the three prospectors in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre . I was pleasantly surprised by singing cowboy Jimmy Wakely who I also saw in two movies. He was an unknown to me except for the fact that he had a short DC comics series in the late 40's and early 50's. He had a wooden acting style but I liked his singing and the films had enough action for any ten year old.

The best things I saw were the four episodes of Planet Earth that I watched (especially Caves which was full of strange creatures) and Tora! Tora! Tora! which I hadn't seen before. I liked the docudrama approach the film took and also had a chance to watch a couple of the special feature documentaries.

Finally my biggest disappointment was that a few of the movies the the Mill Creek set I have were listed as color but were in murky black and white on the DVDs. Still at least one of them, High Lonesome, was pretty good and I later found it in color on YouTube.

Thanks to shadokitty for keeping this challenge going despite what I know must have been a difficult time.

shadokitty
07-02-15, 04:35 PM
I'm glad I was able to keep it going for others, even if life problems kept me from enjoy it as much as I normally do. I had Planet Earth on tap myself, but never got around to revisiting it.

davidh777
07-02-15, 05:18 PM
I wanted to grab an HBO series for vacation, and Rome was more convenient than Band of Brothers or Deadwood. I finished the first 10 episodes and am enjoying it, kinda like a poor man's Game of Thrones with its violence, nudity, and political intrigue (but without the level of characters and plotting). My knowledge of the history is mostly limited to Shakespeare so I'm interested in what's happening, and it doesn't hurt that I've been playing Ryse: Son of Rome as well. :)

I'll probably finish at least season 1 without "credit" then see when I want to tackle season 2.

shadokitty
07-03-15, 09:53 AM
I'm still not done with the challenge. When I'm not watching sports today, I plan to watch aviation documentaries and movies, as I'm getting excited about my upcoming vacation to Oshkosh, an annual pilgrimage.

shadokitty
07-14-15, 01:11 PM
I just want to know if I'm the only one still working unofficially on the challenge. I'm still watching documentaries, and considering true story movies too.

Trevor
07-14-15, 01:23 PM
Check your calendar.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0