Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

The Anime Network Roku Channel

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 04-28-15, 02:30 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I saw this posted over in The Anime Network's official forum:

https://forums.theanimenetwork.com/t...hannel/3017/85

BETA TESTERS WANTED!

That's right everybody! Anime Network has been hard at work creating a Roku channel for all your anime watching needs, and in order for this channel to be the best it can be, we will need some beta testers to find and report any wokiness that may exist.

So, who are we looking for you may be wondering?

We need people who:
-Have a great eye for detail.
-Have a Roku of course!

We need to know the following:
-What type of Roku do you have.
-Who your current Internet Service Provider is.
-What your average internet bandwidth speed is.

If you are interested in becoming a beta tester then please send the above information to [email protected]

We will review the information you sent in and we will send you an email notifying you that you have been picked to become a Beta Tester along with the details that this opportunity will entail!

Thank you,

Anime Network
Old 05-15-15, 07:39 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts
Re: The Anime Network Roku Channel

https://www.roku.com/channels#!detai.../anime-network

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/roku
AN Roku FAQ

If you have questions about the Roku device itself, connecting it to your TV or other technical support issues, please visit www.roku.com.
If you don't see an answer to your question below, please contact us at [email protected].

Anime Network can be viewed on which Roku devices?
The Anime Network channel will support Roku firmware version 4.3 and above. That includes Roku 1, 2, and 3, as well as the Roku Streaming Stick as long as they are running firmware version 4.3 or above.

What can I watch for free?
Non-subscribers can watch the first episode of any subtitled TV series as well as clips and trailers.

What content is available to Premium Subscribers?
Premium Subscribers can watch an unlimited amount of ad-free anime including thousands of hours of TV episodes, OVAs and Movies in English dubbed and subtitled formats. Fresh content is added each week so there is always something new to watch!

How much is a subscription?
$6.99 per month.

Can I buy a quarterly or annual subscription?
No. Monthly subscriptions are the only option at this time.

Does Anime Network offer gift subscriptions?
Yes! Anime Network gift subscriptions are available in 1 month, 3 month and 12 month options with a number of gift notice designs that you can email or print to give to your favorite otaku. Buy one now!

When do I get billed for my subscription?
You will begin getting billed the day your Free Trial ends and each month thereafter unless you cancel during the Free Two Week Trial.

How do I cancel my subscription?
You can cancel your subscription at any time either through your Roku Billing account or on the Anime Network website - My Account.

If I subscribe, where can I watch Anime Network?
Your Anime Network subscription works on Roku, on our website (www.theanimenetwork.com) and on our iOS mobile app.

How do I subscribe to Anime Network?
There are two easy ways to subscribe:
1. Subscribe on the Anime Network website by clicking here.
2. Subscribe on your Roku device by adding the Anime Network channel to My Channels on your Roku and follow the onscreen instructions.

Can I use my current Anime Network account to watch videos on Roku?
Yes. Just add the Anime Network channel to My Channels on your Roku device and use your current Anime Network credentials to log in.
Non-subscribers can watch the first episode of any subtitled series, as well as clips and trailers. Premium subscribers can watch an unlimited amount of ad-free anime including thousands of hours of English dubs and subtitled movies and TV series. If you are currently a registered Anime Network user but not a Premium Subscriber, you can upgrade anytime by going to My Account on the Anime Network website.
Old 05-15-15, 08:29 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Three things I don't like about Anime Network.

First, half their content is already available on Crunchyroll and FUNimation. And since I already have annual subscriptions to both those places, it's hard to justify signing up for this.

Second, since they only offer Monthly memberships, it'll run you around $80/year. CR and FUNi are $60/year.

Third, all their content has the Anime Network logo in the lower right hand corner throughout the entire episode. It's like watching cable TV. Very distracting.

On the positive side, they have some good content that isn't available anywhere else. There's also some full-length anime movies like Grave Of The Fireflies, Wings Of Honneamise, and Garden of Words. And they have a lot of English Dubs.
Old 05-16-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were checking out the Hulu Plus app and both Anime Network & Funimation were on there as well as Bandai Visual, which has a bunch of Anime titles. We haven't compared the selection on Hulu Plus to the actual apps for those channels but for the $8 monthly for Hulu Plus you get a ton of anime seasons and movies.
Old 05-16-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I lost any and all interest after seeing the pricing and the restrictions on the free content. And I thought Funimation limiting it to the first two episodes was bad...

It's just as well, since I don't need another paid (or even free) Roku channel that I can't keep up with.
Old 05-18-15, 09:57 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eHvwPwkW6k0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

via PR...
Anime Network Launches First Streaming Channel on Roku

New Channel Serves Up Thousands of English Dubbed and Subtitled Episodes

HOUSTON, May 18, 2015 – Anime Network, one of the longest-standing digital providers of anime to the United States is now being offered on the Roku streaming platform.

The channel will feature thousands of episodes of English dubbed and subtitled anime from the diverse catalogue of Anime Network. Roku is the best-selling streaming player in the United States and has sold over 10 million players to date, according to Roku.com.

“Launching on the most popular streaming platform in the U.S. is vital to our mission of bringing quality anime to every fan,” said Mark Williams, Managing Director of Anime Network. “We’ve always taken the fans’ input seriously, and we’ve put a lot of work into this partnership with Roku for them. This was the feature the fans requested most over the years.”

Anime Network is one of the most established providers of anime entertainment and the channel will feature specially curated content, based on user feedback and new additions. Free two-week trials are available and guests can watch hundreds of episodes with no commitment. Subscribers will unlock all streaming titles and be able to watch unlimited, ad-free anime.

“We’re so excited that we can bring this convenience to anime fans, they are truly the most passionate fans out there,” said Williams.