Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Custom Binding...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 05:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Binding...

Does anybody have any experience with having their comics custom bound? Was wondering what the best service to use was.
Old 04-11-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Custom Binding...

I've never done it, but I actually work at a bindery and have been considering bringing in some of my comics to bind. I obviously don't have any experience using other binders, but would be happy to answer any questions regarding the different binding methods.
Old 04-11-15, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow Moses
Does anybody have any experience with having their comics custom bound? Was wondering what the best service to use was.
There is a lot of information here:

http://community.comicbookresources....c-Book-Binding

and here:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...-Binding-Forum
Old 04-12-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I guess the reader in me would like to bind some of my older runs, but the collector in me is horrified at damaging the books in that manner. I know it's an option, I've heard of some doing it with their favorite runs that are unlikely to get collected. I once saw someone do it with the complete Miracleman run. It is nice that all pages are retained, unlike trades that drop ads and letter pages.
Old 04-12-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I guess the reader in me would like to bind some of my older runs, but the collector in me is horrified at damaging the books in that manner. I know it's an option, I've heard of some doing it with their favorite runs that are unlikely to get collected. I once saw someone do it with the complete Miracleman run. It is nice that all pages are retained, unlike trades that drop ads and letter pages.
I'm thinking of binding the initial Claremont/Davis Excalibur run. It's a series I don't love but it would be nice to have to go with my other Claremont X-omnibi. I already have the issues, they aren't worth anything, and they will probably never be read sitting in a long box. Add to that the fact that I work at a bindery and can make sure they're done exactly how I want them and it basically amounts to a fun experiment.
Old 04-12-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I would like to do it with my issues of Alter Ego and Back Issue! magazines. But lord it would cost a ton.
Old 04-13-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I'm thinking of binding the initial Claremont/Davis Excalibur run. It's a series I don't love but it would be nice to have to go with my other Claremont X-omnibi. I already have the issues, they aren't worth anything, and they will probably never be read sitting in a long box. Add to that the fact that I work at a bindery and can make sure they're done exactly how I want them and it basically amounts to a fun experiment.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would like to do it with my issues of Alter Ego and Back Issue! magazines. But lord it would cost a ton.
What would be the going rate to bind something like dozens of issues?
Old 04-13-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What would be the going rate to bind something like dozens of issues?
It depends on where you have them bound, what binding method you use and what kind of extras you want, but I'd say about $25 sounds right for a basic bind of up to 2 inches in thickness. For that you'd get a buckram cover (Buckram is the most common standard library binding cloth. It's very durable, but has kind of a plastic-y finish to it.) in the color of your choice and basic foil stamping on the spine. Some places offer printed graphic covers, dust jackets, nicer cloth choices and/or custom stamping dies for more elaborate foil artwork. Check out the websites for Herring & Robinson Bookbinders and Houchen Bindery. Those two have the most comprehensive comic binding programs in the US as far as I can tell. Their websites will give you a good idea of the kind of things that are possible.
Old 04-13-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the information, it's more reasonable than I expected.
Old 04-14-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sometimes see bound editions in pictures of people's collections. I can't imagine doing that to a comic book!
Old 04-14-15, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I sometimes see bound editions in pictures of people's collections. I can't imagine doing that to a comic book!
Yeah, I think I'm with you but I'm not completely ruling it out.

For the most part, I'm confident of never selling my comics, so 'ruining them' with binding isn't a concern. And while I love the look and feel of individual issues sometimes, there is something appealing about having everything in a collection form and easily put on a bookshelf. Long boxes, even the new drawers that I'm converting into, pretty much suck for browsing and reading.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds, perhaps I'd have a huge house with multiple library rooms and everything in bookshelves.

In reality, I'll never get around to binding anything.
Old 04-14-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I think I'm with you but I'm not completely ruling it out.

For the most part, I'm confident of never selling my comics, so 'ruining them' with binding isn't a concern. And while I love the look and feel of individual issues sometimes, there is something appealing about having everything in a collection form and easily put on a bookshelf. Long boxes, even the new drawers that I'm converting into, pretty much suck for browsing and reading.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds, perhaps I'd have a huge house with multiple library rooms and everything in bookshelves.

In reality, I'll never get around to binding anything.
at the last line!

There's stuff I don't think I'll ever sell either, but the reality is that someone is going to have to get rid of this crap when I die. I'd like to think they may be able to squeeze a few bucks out of my collection at that time. I'd think it be easier to do if stuff isn't bound.
Old 04-14-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reading through this this thread earlier I thought it would be a cool idea to put together some collections together.

It started with I really enjoy the N52 Animal Man run and thought it would look cool to have a complete volume next to the first Omnibus, but that led to then adding Swamp Things & Frankenstein issues of rotworld in it and then might as well add JLU issues to it.

which led me to have to track down more copies of swamp thing and Frankenstein just buy chance i wanna bind those collections. so now im spending more money and taking up more space...
Old 04-14-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

This is something I always thought about doing, but just couldn't bring myself to 'destroy' my comics.

The only way I could see myself doing this is if I bought a second run of the comics and bound those, though it completely defeats the space-saving aspect of such an undertaking. Gutter loss would also be an issue, especially with modern comics that use double page spreads and full bleed artwork.

Also, there are now more options available for reading comics, from more TPBs available and online comics (both comixology and 'other options'.)
Old 04-15-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This is something I always thought about doing, but just couldn't bring myself to 'destroy' my comics.

The only way I could see myself doing this is if I bought a second run of the comics and bound those, though it completely defeats the space-saving aspect of such an undertaking. Gutter loss would also be an issue, especially with modern comics that use double page spreads and full bleed artwork.

Also, there are now more options available for reading comics, from more TPBs available and online comics (both comixology and 'other options'.)
Destroying comics is something I would never consider doing to anything of any value. But for lesser runs that will sit in long boxes and go unread? Sure, why not. It's not really about saving space for me, but rather readability. It's also just kind of a fun hobby if you're interested in creating covers and layouts and such.

Gutter loss is less of an issue than you might think it is. For older comics it's practically a non issue due to the amount of white space on each page. Modern full bleed pages and double page spreads are a little trickier, but if you have the issues Smyth sewn, there's no gutter loss at all. Even modern double fan adhesive binding minimizes gutter loss. It's certainly no worse than a trade paperback. I'm more concerned about trimming the book block after it's bound and losing information off of the edges, although trimming isn't totally necessary.

I'm definitely going ahead with binding up the first 25 issues or so of Excalibur. When it's done I'll post some pics.
Old 04-18-15, 03:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been tempted to get a couple runs that are unlikely to ever get collected bound into their own volumes so I can have them all in one book. But after losing 70% of my hardcovers/trades to water damage after a fire last year I'm paranoid about losing any bound editions I make the same way, even though the odds of another fire seem to be fairly low.
Old 04-19-15, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no clue why people would want to keep ads of all things. Even if you wanted to see the ads, chances are you could find them on google or something. I loathe ads in comics, takes me out of the narrative flow. Letter pages OTOH are a different matter. They come at the end of the issue and are at least pertinent to what you've been reading. That being said, I can't remember the last time I read a letters page.
Old 04-19-15, 03:04 PM
Banned

Ads in old comics can serve the nostalgia factor by reminding you of things from childhood like seeing ads for old NES and SNES games. Other than that, I hate ads too. I become a trade waiter years ago, and I definitely do not miss ads.
Old 04-19-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I have no clue why people would want to keep ads of all things. Even if you wanted to see the ads, chances are you could find them on google or something. I loathe ads in comics, takes me out of the narrative flow. Letter pages OTOH are a different matter. They come at the end of the issue and are at least pertinent to what you've been reading. That being said, I can't remember the last time I read a letters page.
Some comics had interesting letter pages, though many did not.

Occasionally you will find fan letters in old comics from people who later became famous or professionals like George R. R. Martin.

Agree about the ads. It can be sort of fun to see old ads from the 60s and 70s (mail order live monkeys, Count Dante, Sea Monkeys) but most modern ones are just a bunch house ads and video games.
Old 04-22-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I love the ads in comics. It's how I read the issue when it first appeared and they are like a time capsule of a bygone era.
Old 08-20-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://comicbindingpro.com/

Anyone with interest in binding their comics needs to check out the pictures at the site above. This service will bind your comics for you according to your needs and wants. Pretty awesome looking binds. The nine-volume Wally West Omnibus! set is making me drool.

Old 08-21-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Damn, I was just thinking about binding comics the other day. These are beautiful

Edit, I inquired about binding 2 sets, 16 issues for one, 18 issues for the other, and was quoted $130-$150 for the both

Last edited by stingermck; 08-21-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

^Woah. Beautiful stuff but too rich for my blood.

I still would like to get all my copies of Back Issue! bound but that would cost me a small fortune it appears. Maybe once I win the lottery.
Old 08-21-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's beautiful work, I completely agree. I wonder how they read in that format? I am thinking of something like binding the entire Secret Origins series.
Old 08-21-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's beautiful work, I completely agree. I wonder how they read in that format? I am thinking of something like binding the entire Secret Origins series.
It depends on how you have them bound. Sewn bindings are the best because you don't have any gutter loss and they lay perfectly flat. It's also the most expensive option and you don't have the option of removing ads. Glued bindings come in different varieties. A double fan adhesive binding that has been rounded and backed is the best glued binding. It will lay flat and gutter loss will be minimal, but you are going to lose about 1/16" on the inside margin during the binding process. This isn't a problem for older comics with lots of white space, but it could be troublesome for full page bleeds. Other glued options are far inferior. You're also going to lose some page information on the three outer edges no matter how you bind if you want the pages all to be flush after binding.

I have a couple of volumes that I am almost ready to go ahead with, but I'm being very slow in creating my covers and title pages. I'm too picky to do a rush job, but too lazy to take the time to do it right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.