Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ip Man 3D -- Starring Donnie Yen, Mike Tyson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 11:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Ip Man 3 - Now in 3D! (sometime 2013)

Why not. I enjoyed the first 2. Well the second one not so much. But bring on some more Donnie Yen. Not sure we need it in 3D however.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...194005/1/.html

Donnie Yen to return as Ip Man in 3D "Ip Man 3"
Posted: 09 April 2012 1607 hrs

HONG KONG: "Ip Man 3" script writer Edmond Wong revealed last week that Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen will return as martial arts master Ip Man in "Ip Man 3", which will feature 3D visual effects, reported Hong Kong media.

This has been confirmed by Yen's publicist, who said that Yen "is looking forward" to working on a 3D "Ip Man" film, and had entered into preliminary discussions with the film's producer Raymond Wong, though he "had not yet seen the script".

Edmond Wong further revealed that "Ip Man 3" will see Ip Man's famous student, martial arts legend Bruce Lee, play a big part in the story, though Ip Man will remain the film's central character.

"What is certain is that the film will begin with Bruce Lee becoming Ip Man's disciple. As for who will play Bruce Lee, we will have to do a large-scale casting exercise.

"Stars like Aarif Lee and Danny Chan are suitable and have played Bruce Lee before, but we are looking for a 16-17 year-old Bruce Lee. They may be a little too old. It is all up to Wilson Ip (the film's director) to decide," said Wong.

"Ip Man 3" producer Raymond Wong, added that the film will have a much bigger budget than "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2", as it will feature fight scenes enhanced with 3D effects.

"Ip Man 3" will be the third film in the "Ip Man" series of martial arts films, which have done exceptionally well in the box office and had sparked a renewed interest in Wing Chun, a form of martial arts practised by Ip Man.

The film is scheduled to go into production at the end of the year.
Old 04-16-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Ip Man 3 - Now in 3D! (sometime 2013)

So much for Donnie Yen saying he would never play Ip Man in another film ever again.
Old 04-16-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I know. I'm shocked he's coming back given how taxing he said the role was for him (he was always in character even when the camera's weren't rolling and totally changed his diet to one meal a day to match that of Ip Man).

I hope after this, Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen team up for another film in the style of SPL or Flash Point. That or Donnie Yen and Tsui Hark can team up for a sequel to Seven Swords.
Old 04-16-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money talks!!! I caught the first two films on Netflix and enjoyed both quite a bit, especially the first one.
Old 04-16-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Repeat the phrase "Kung fu in 3D" and count how long it takes for you to dislike the idea. (If you have a soul, it's never!)
Old 04-16-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Repeat the phrase "Kung fu in 3D" and count how long it takes for you to dislike the idea. (If you have a soul, it's never!)
Wasn't there already a 3D Kung Fu movie? I think directed by Yuen Woo Ping?
Old 04-16-12, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I know. I'm shocked he's coming back given how taxing he said the role was for him (he was always in character even when the camera's weren't rolling and totally changed his diet to one meal a day to match that of Ip Man).

I hope after this, Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen team up for another film in the style of SPL or Flash Point. That or Donnie Yen and Tsui Hark can team up for a sequel to Seven Swords.
ditto. Not really excited for this but...ok. Would totally dig a SPL or Flashpoint style movie. Love Yen in those..they just need to tone down some things at times (Sammo flip and guy flying in the air during the end)
Old 04-16-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if this actually came out before Kar Wai Wong's The Grandmaster. Whatever happened to that flick?
Old 04-17-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
I wouldn't be surprised if this actually came out before Kar Wai Wong's The Grandmaster. Whatever happened to that flick?

...and the wait continues. Wong Kar-Wai's "The Grandmaster" continues to build with all the mystery and delays of a Terrence Malick-worthy production. Not much has been seen of the film save for a few stills and a recently released teaser trailer (that is almost identical to one we saw last year). And as we figured, any chances of the movie showing up at Cannes are a pipe dream.

In December, Yu Dong, CEO of Chinese film distributor Bona Film, told Film Business Asia that "The Grandmaster" -- at one time tentatively slated to hit theaters at the end of 2011 -- "will be released some time between next summer and Christmas 2012." But it looks like the tail end of that date has become the best case scenario. Bona Film recently released their 2011 data and results to investors, and as they laid out their projections for earnings in 2012, business site Benziga notes that there has been a "reshuffle" of release dates for their top tier films: " 'The Grandmaster' from Wong Kar-Wai and 'Once Upon a Time in Shanghai' starring Chow Yun-fat were pushed back to Dec '12, with some originally planned titles to be delayed into 2013."

It should be noted that the film is currently without a U.S. distributor, with Annapurna Pictures holding the rights but having yet to strike a deal for someone to partner with them to get the movie into theaters. So at this point, you can pretty much take "The Grandmaster" out of your plans for 2012, barring some kind of festival appearance this fall (at the earliest). But even then, that would be contingent on WKW having his film completely finished months ahead of the movie's Chinese release date, which seems fairly unlikely given his tendency to keep fine tuning until the last moment. Also, pretty much every WKW film to date has opened overseas before landing in the United States, so it's likely we're not seeing this until 2013.
Old 03-24-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-signs-783886

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot....asts-mike.html

Principal photography began today in China. This will probably come out this Fall or Winter.

It was only a few years ago as action star Donnie Yen was promting the 2013 cop thriller, Special ID, while pitching the idea of possibly casting former boxer Mike Tyson in a hopeful sequel at the time. You least expected that sort of thing would happen even as Tyson himself was bolstering his own acting career in TV and film, namely with Todd Phillips in the first two Hangover movies, and an appearance in Jean-Marc Mineo's Gates Of The Sun to name a few.

Alas, consider yourself surprised (or not) at the notion that Yen would finally be getting his wish featuring the former world heavyweight champion in the forthcoming production of Ip Man 3D, according to THR. Filming has begun today in Shanghai with Pegasus Motion Pictures and producer Raymond Wong behind the new film which will see Tyson in the role of a property developer as well as a street fighter, therein partaking in the cinematic universe via screenwriter Edmond Wong's script which will principally center on the title character's relationship to his most famous student, Bruce Lee.

THR also reports that the performer portraying Lee will undergo computer-generated enhancements since the production couldn't find an actor able enough to duplicate Lee's on-screen intensity - a lesson long learned since the days of Bruceploitation no doubt, but we're bound to see how this one will hold up, for better or worse.

The first film in 2008 was a critical and commercial hit, a fourth in line of films between Yen and director Wilson Yip leading to a fifth with actor and martial arts legend Darren Shahlavi long prior to his passing earlier this year. There have been other iterations of the character, including Tony Leung's performance in the elongated production of Wong Kar-Wai's The Grandmaster, as well as Herman Yau's television series with actor Dennis To and actor Anthony Wong's most recent role in Yau's Ip Man: The Final Fight with actor Eric Tsang. Production on a third with Yen initially saw a series of stops and starts in the last several while Yen kept things moving with other titles, including the two part remake, Iceman 3D which is still pending the release of its second part.

Other titles with Yen are stil pending, including his long-awaited Hollywood debut, Noodle Man. At any rate though, Ip Man 3D is finally happening, so no more speculation...except for all the fanboys now in an uproar over who would beat Ip Man (or Yen) in a fair fight.
Old 03-24-15, 02:04 PM
Banned

Re: Ip Man 3D -- Starring Donnie Yen, Mike Tyson

Hrm. Yen vs. Tyson. Meh.

Otherwise.. I'm game.
Old 03-24-15, 02:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I love all things Donnie Yen, but really? Mike Tyson of all people?
Old 03-24-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm more concerned about a CGI enhanced Bruce Lee. That sounds like a potential train wreck.
Old 03-24-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It all sounds awful.
Old 03-24-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Donnie Yen should instead produce a Street Fighter movie that features him and Mike Tyson in supporting roles as Fei Long and Balrog (a.k.a. Mike Bison) respectively.
Old 03-24-15, 03:05 PM
Banned

I'm more concerned about a CGI enhanced Bruce Lee. That sounds like a potential train wreck.
Especially with HK money. You know they can't afford good cgi.
Old 03-24-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Donnie Yen should instead produce a Street Fighter movie that features him and Mike Tyson in supporting roles as Fei Long and Balrog (a.k.a. Mike Bison) respectively.
20 years ago that would have been awesome. If the producer of the 1994 American version had pushed for that casting, it would have been a classic, esp. since Yen was coming off of so many great films (DRAGON INN, COMET BUTTERFLY AND SWORD, IRON MONKEY, etc.) and Tyson was...[looks in Wikipedia to see where Tyson was in 1993-94]...in prison. Oops. Never mind.
Old 03-24-15, 03:13 PM
Banned

A HK action actor from 1994 in an American 1994 film? Yeah... no.
Old 03-24-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A HK action actor from 1994 in an American 1994 film? Yeah... no.
Remember when Donnie Yen was fired as action director from Blade II because the studio felt Yen's action was too fast for American audiences? As a way of apology, Del Toro cast Yen as one of the vampire hunters so his time wasn't totally wasted.

EDIT: Oops. That was 2002. For some reason I thought that movie came out in the 90s.
Old 03-24-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember when Donnie Yen was fired as action director from Blade II because the studio felt Yen's action was too fast for American audiences? As a way of apology, Del Toro cast Yen as one of the vampire hunters so his time wasn't totally wasted.

EDIT: Oops. That was 2002. For some reason I thought that movie came out in the 90s.
I thought it was a waste....he had a couple of lines, stood in the background and did a couple of stunts. Yeah, it was a waste....
Old 03-24-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was a waste....he had a couple of lines, stood in the background and did a couple of stunts. Yeah, it was a waste....
Don't get me wrong, it disappointed the shit out of me when I first saw the movie. Hell. it was even worse for me because around the same time Highlander: Endgame was released and the same damn thing happened. Well, technically it was worse because Donnie Yen's second scene was a fun fight with Adrian Paul and they followed that up with having Donnie Yen do jack shit for the rest of the movie.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bnl0ZVoxGFQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I swear, the time they wasted on trying to come up with a cool way for Donnie Yen to decapitate himself (which showed me the producers had no idea what the fuck they were doing given how idiotic the scene was to be) would have been better spent choreographic a fight between Yen and a fight double for Bruce Payne. Hell, they should have had Yen fight Adrian Paul a second time.
Old 03-24-15, 03:47 PM
Banned

I say put Yen in a Fast and Furious film as a lead villain, or possibly as a hero character, to get people to give a damn about him. Give him lines and make him memorable. That guy speaks good English, good looking guy, and can do all, if not damn close to most, of his stunts within the camera. He need some US love.
Old 03-24-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I say put Yen in a Fast and Furious film as a lead villain, or possibly as a hero character, to get people to give a damn about him. Give him lines and make him memorable. That guy speaks good English, good looking guy, and can do all, if not damn close to most, of his stunts within the camera. He need some US love.
Speak good English? WTF...he grew up here.
Old 03-24-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speak good English? WTF...he grew up here.
Yup. Boston is where he grew up. But apparently he was always getting into trouble so his mom shipped him off to Beijing for two years.

I never knew that Donnie Yen was offered a role in The Expendables 2 but turned it down cos he didn't like the script.
Old 03-24-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rocshemp
i'm more concerned about a cgi enhanced bruce lee. That sounds like a potential train wreck.
+1000

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.