Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

SO DEADLY, SO PERVERSE: 50 YEARS OF ITALIAN GIALLO FILMS (Volume 1) - by Troy Howarth

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

SO DEADLY, SO PERVERSE: 50 YEARS OF ITALIAN GIALLO FILMS (Volume 1) - by Troy Howarth

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films" by Troy Howarth is one I've been eyeing for purchase...it was released in January. Troy Howarth should be a familiar name to everyone, among other reasons he did do an earlier book on Mario Bava.

The best price - at least as far as I am aware - had been directly from the publisher Midnight Marquee Press....$35 plus $7 for U.S. shipping. Amazon had it priced at around $44.95 (excluding tax). Today it just dropped to $32.08 (excluding tax/shipping) at Amazon.

One important point to note is that this book is only a Volume 1 covering the years 1963 - 1973. And it is a paperback release...so perhaps pricey for a paperback.

If you Google the title you can find some sample pages from the book posted at various forums such as monsterkidclassichorrorforum and lovelockandload...looks pretty good to my eyes. A certain purchase for me.
Old 03-24-15, 09:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: SO DEADLY, SO PERVERSE: 50 YEARS OF ITALIAN GIALLO FILMS (Volume 1) - by Troy How

Thanks for the heads-up. This looks like a must-buy for me as well.

Old 04-04-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: SO DEADLY, SO PERVERSE: 50 YEARS OF ITALIAN GIALLO FILMS (Volume 1) - by Troy How

If you order it at Amazon.com now you can get it for the bargain price of $999.11 (plus 3.99 for shipping)!
Old 04-08-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon has replenished their stock...great price of $22.61! For those interested, now would seem the time to purchase.
Old 04-08-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Might as well mention it here...Troy Howarth also has a book - SPLINTERED VISIONS - on Lucio Fulci coming in a few months...again from Midnight Marquee Press.

And a related point...Stephen Thrower's Fulci book - BEYOND TERROR - from Fab Press is being released again in a revised and expanded edition...sometime in the Fall.
Old 04-08-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Gialli are among my favorite types of films so I had to grab this. Glad I waited and didn't spend closer to $50 when it first came out. Under $24 after tax sounds good.
Old 04-13-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than Lucas' Bava biography. That thing costs more than a new home theater.
Old 05-10-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Thanks, I'll be grabbing this duo if they ever become available in Canada. Worth mentioning for fans of gialli is the out-of-print Blood & Black Lace: The Definitive Guide to Italian Sex and Horror Films by Adrian Luther-Smith. It's a slim volume, but well-written and entertaining.
Old 05-21-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Author Howarth does have a Facebook page for this book. A few days ago he mentioned that Volume 2 (1974 - 2014) is coming this Summer.

Also to be noted for those who already own Volume 1, as per some feedback perhaps, Troy Howarth recently created a two-page index (listing the film titles in alphabetical order with their corresponding page number). He said this index will be added to future printings of Volume 1. For those who already purchased Volume 1, he did provide a link where you can print out the two-page index and thereby tuck it in to the back of your book for reference. Again all this is at the Facebook page for SO DEADLY, SO PERVERSE...scroll down to the entry dated May 15th for the relevant information.
Old 06-09-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Volume 2 has now been pushed back to around Christmas...again as per the Facebook page.

Also mentioned there...now there is going to be a Volume 3...covering "almost gialli" from France, Germany, Spain, U.S., etc.,...maybe around Christmas of 2016.

And perhaps of interest to those reading...another new book released in April...ITALIAN GOTHIC HORROR FILMS 1957-1969 by author Roberto Curti. Author Curti might be familiar as - a couple years back - he also did the ITALIAN CRIME FILMOGRAPHY 1968-1980.
Old 10-22-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flixtime
Volume 2 has now been pushed back to around Christmas...again as per the Facebook page.
Thanks, I was wondering. Due to international shipping costs, I'm waiting with the first volume until both are in stock. Why the hell are these only available at Amazon.com?
Also mentioned there...now there is going to be a Volume 3...covering "almost gialli" from France, Germany, Spain, U.S., etc.,...maybe around Christmas of 2016.
Very interesting.
And perhaps of interest to those reading...another new book released in April...ITALIAN GOTHIC HORROR FILMS 1957-1969 by author Roberto Curti. Author Curti might be familiar as - a couple years back - he also did the ITALIAN CRIME FILMOGRAPHY 1968-1980.
I was not very impressed with Curti's book about poliziotteschi. It certainly wasn't bad, but either it was poorly translated or not all that well-written.
Old 12-26-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vol. 2 has been released.
Old 12-27-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, many thanks Norm de Plume, I had checked earlier this month for a pre-order listing at Amazon...either it wasn't there or perhaps too I was simply lax in observing the search results. Anyway, good to see the book came out as targeted; I was thinking maybe it got pushed till early Spring or thereabouts. Time to drop it in my Amazon cart and hopefully we get a nice and timely price drop like we did with Volume 1.

Again, thanks for posting.
Old 12-27-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, you're right, it wasn't listed until very recently. I have also been keeping close watch.
Old 12-27-15, 10:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I received my copy of volume 2 on Christmas Eve that I had pre-ordered directly from Midnight Marquee.