Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" D: Benson S: Chastain, McAvoy, Davis, Hader

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" D: Benson S: Chastain, McAvoy, Davis, Hader

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just watched this, now streaming on Netflix, and absolutely loved it. It is such a beautiful and haunting film. Jessica Chastain turns in her best performance to date here IMO. Everyone was great in the film, actually. It's such a shame this movie was so poorly marketed. It came and went in my city within two weeks. Barely making 500K at the box-office. It deserves a wider audience. Thumbs way up here.
Old 03-21-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
re: "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" D: Benson S: Chastain, McAvoy, Davis, Hader

Which version are you talking about? There are actually three different versions floating around: Them, Him, and Her. I will assume Netflix is carrying Them, the version cut together from Him and Her for wider release by the Weinstein Company. The Blu-ray does include all three films in HD.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/02/05/disa...lu-ray-review/

It's definitely Chastain's best performance, the movie was a pet project for her.
Old 03-21-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" D: Benson S: Chastain, McAvoy, Davis, Hader

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Which version are you talking about? There are actually three different versions floating around: Them, Him, and Her. I will assume Netflix is carrying Them, the version cut together from Him and Her for wider release by the Weinstein Company. The Blu-ray does include all three films in HD.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/02/05/disa...lu-ray-review/

It's definitely Chastain's best performance, the movie was a pet project for her.
Thanks PhantomStranger. I'm guessing it was "Them". Need to go back on Netflix to confirm. But it definitely felt like the perspective of both. So I'm pretty sure it was "Them". What an interesting concept.
Old 03-21-15, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Him only features the man's perspective on the situation and Her only includes Jessica Chastain's perspective. That was how the idea was conceived in the first place, having two films told from different perspectives. The Weinstein Company picked it up as distributor, getting the director to combine them together for wider release and potential Oscar bait.
Old 03-22-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

All three are on Netflix in the US. Just as an FYI.

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her

Last edited by RichC2; 03-22-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-22-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Him only features the man's perspective on the situation and Her only includes Jessica Chastain's perspective. That was how the idea was conceived in the first place, having two films told from different perspectives. The Weinstein Company picked it up as distributor, getting the director to combine them together for wider release and potential Oscar bait.
The Weinsteins hacked up a director's film and compromised its artistic integrity for the purposes for profit? Whoa. Unprecedented.
Old 03-22-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The Weinsteins hacked up a director's film and compromised its artistic integrity for the purposes for profit? Whoa. Unprecedented.
The Weinstein Company didn't create the combined Them, they strongly suggested to the director it needed to be made to help sell the film to a wider audience. In this case I agree, Him by itself is not really a film worth seeing and Her would have had a very specific, limited niche audience. Them is the film you would show most general audiences.

There are differences between all three films regarding their implications to the narrative and story.
Old 03-22-15, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" D: Benson S: Chastain, McAvoy, Davis, Hader

oooooh.

EDIT:

Let's put a trailer

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9KrhMbS9uh8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-22-15 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" D: Benson S: Chastain, McAvoy, Davis, Hader

I didn't know about this film's history until the responses here. I watch "Them" last night and tonight, I watched "Her". I probably should haven't waited a few weeks. But I was so damn curious what was different and cut. And I have to say, I liked "Them" much much more. It just moved at a better clip for me.
Old 03-23-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's tough to watch the combined Them first and then fully enjoy Him and Her. That was the sequence I watched them in and knowing the general narrative likely lessened my patience with Him.
Old 03-23-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

So what order should they be watched in? Or is Them actually also the best version
Old 03-23-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watch Her, then Him, skip Them.
Old 03-23-15, 11:10 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Hmmm...most recommendations are to watch Him first and then Her, as Her has a more emotional punch. That's the order I watched them in.
Old 03-23-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I could see that too, and watching Her first is sort of "watching the best first" which isn't always good.
Old 03-23-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome review!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/66839...gby-bd-uv-the/