Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see a sequel to Mallrats after the hilariousness that was Clerks 2. The only characters that must return are Jason Lee and Ben Affleck, who give two of their best performances ever in the original. As a matter of fact, I don't think Jason Lee has ever given a good performance in any movie besides it!
Old 07-26-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Except that 12 years later, those people wouldn't be caught hanging out in a mall. It would be a bar. Much like Chasing Amy.
Old 07-26-06, 01:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
just please not another installment of 'Chasing Amy' - i'd rather impale my face on a large rusty nail than to endure those characters ever ever again.
Old 07-26-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't we already know what happened to all the players in that movie? Brody took over the Tonight Show and Shannon ended up in Federal PMITA Prison. What's left to discuss?
Old 07-26-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, Mallrats ended with a good "where are they now" that also was tied up in chasing amy.

Brody eventually left the tonight show to open up a comic shop that informed Jay and silent bob about the future bluntman and cronic film.
Old 07-26-06, 02:20 PM

Kevin smith talked about that during a Q&A for the 10th Anniversary Edition of Mallrats. he said the Execs were really excited about a mallrats 2. Smith had given them the idea it would be like Die Hard in a Mall.
The studio felt that mallrats would be a money maker in the theatre. once it opened and then tanked.
any notion of a mallrats sequel flew out the window.
I believe Smith said he got a phone call on saturday(opening weekend) from his producer saying that Mallrats only pulled in $400,000
They knew as of Friday night that the movie tanked.

Still a great movie and it did wonderful on dvd
Old 07-26-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No.
Old 07-26-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I think at one point Smith talked about doing a sequel as a comic book.
Old 07-26-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That could start a pattern that could eventually lead to 'Jersey Girl 2: Hardly Girling.'

And NO ONE needs that.
Old 07-26-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Kevin Smith said in a blog that Clerks 2 was a better way to wrap up the ViewAskewnaverse than Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back so it seems like the plan for right now is no more Jay & Bob pictures. I wouldn't mind a Clerks 3 or another Jay and Silent Bob movie though.
Old 07-26-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As I mentioned to das, Michael Rooker is going to be at Dragon Con in September, and I wonder if anyone will try to stink-palm him at the convention.
Old 07-26-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As much as i'd like the return of Brodie Bruce to the big screen...

He owns his own comic book store, what else is left to discuss about him?

I'd be up for a Mallrats comic but not another movie (and this is coming from someone who adores "Mallrats".)
Old 07-26-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I don't think Jason Lee has ever given a good performance in any movie besides it!
How bout Almost Famous?
Old 07-26-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what Kevin Smith should do next? FLETCH ONE. He wanted to do it before, but the studio wouldn't let him cast Jason Lee as Fletch, but now that My Name is Earl made it big, I think it's time to tackle the studio execs in talking them into letting him make the movie with Jason Lee.

EDIT: I just read that Kevin Smith is no longer attatched to Fletch One, so there goes that idea. I'd like to hear what other original ideas the man has outside of the "Jersey Trilogy" type stories. Jersey Girl was actually a good movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing more movies from Kevin Smith that explore new characters and ideas like that. I guess I'd mainly just like to see him tackle something new and different, because if he keeps going back to the "Jersey Trilogy" well for ideas, then he will become like his characters in Clerks II....doing the same thing he was doing ten years ago for the rest of his life. He may not have the talent to feel comfortable to direct an action movie like Green Hornet, but let him explore new opportunities.

Last edited by calhoun07; 07-26-06 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason Lee is best in My Name Is Earl. Mallrats 2? Ugh.
Old 07-26-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I'd like to hear what other original ideas the man has outside of the "Jersey Trilogy" type stories. Jersey Girl was actually a good movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing more movies from Kevin Smith that explore new characters and ideas like that. I guess I'd mainly just like to see him tackle something new and different, because if he keeps going back to the "Jersey Trilogy" well for ideas, then he will become like his characters in Clerks II....doing the same thing he was doing ten years ago for the rest of his life. He may not have the talent to feel comfortable to direct an action movie like Green Hornet, but let him explore new opportunities.
I like Jersey Girl too. I'd like it if he'd do a viewaskewnaverse film and then one or two unrelated films. Go back and forth between the two.
Old 07-26-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't see him doing a 'rats 2 unless he tanks another non-viewaskew movie. He has always said he'd be a sell out if he made Clerks 2. I'm sure that has now shifted to Mallrats 2.
Old 07-26-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so was he a sell out for making Clerks 2? When did he say that? Perhaps he had no idea where to take the story when he said that at the time, but now that we actually have Clerks 2, I don't see it as a sell out at all. I am actually happy he made it, because if the last movie we got in the "Jersey Trilogy" movies was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, that would have been a horrible thing. That movie was perhaps more of a sell out (but not really) than Clerks 2 could ever hope to be.

Clerks 2 came at the right time, and wasn't to make money, but to expand on the stories of Dante and Randal. Far from a sell out.
Old 07-26-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I loved Mallrats but would rather stay sequel-less.
Old 07-26-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by enrage
I believe Smith said he got a phone call on saturday(opening weekend) from his producer saying that Mallrats only pulled in $400,000
They knew as of Friday night that the movie tanked.
I've heard him tell this story where he's basically excited as shit about that total since Clerks had only grossed about $3 million dollars total BO. It wasn't until the Universal exec explained it to him did he realize the movie was a flop.
Old 07-26-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I guess I'd mainly just like to see him tackle something new and different, because if he keeps going back to the "Jersey Trilogy" well for ideas, then he will become like his characters in Clerks II....doing the same thing he was doing ten years ago for the rest of his life. He may not have the talent to feel comfortable to direct an action movie like Green Hornet, but let him explore new opportunities.
Clerks 2 was basically an admittance that he's like the characters in Clerks 2.
Old 07-26-06, 11:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Kevin Smith said in a blog that Clerks 2 was a better way to wrap up the ViewAskewnaverse than Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back so it seems like the plan for right now is no more Jay & Bob pictures.
Or so he says until his next, non-skewnaverse, film flops and then it's "I had this great idea for a Jay & Silent Bob movie, it really wraps up the universe much better than Clerks II."
Old 07-27-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Clerks 2 was basically an admittance that he's like the characters in Clerks 2.
Ah, if that means we get ten more years of movies like he's made before out of him, then there's nothing wrong with that either. But like I said previously, I just hope he explores some new characters and hopefully expands his Jersey universe.
Old 07-27-06, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind a Rick Derris film
Old 07-27-06, 07:31 AM

Yes, I feel the legend of fingercuffs needs to be explored.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.