Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Which Is Your Favorite Version? (Poll)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Which Is Your Favorite Version?
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
16.67%
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
80.00%
Body Snatchers (1993)
3.33%
The Invasion (2007)
0%
I like them all the same
0%
I don't like any of them
0%
I prefer a different version of this basic story not listed
0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The 1955 Sci-Fi novel "The Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney has been made into a movie 4 times (officially), so which one is your favorite version?

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - directed by Don Siegel

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - directed by Philip Kaufman

Body Snatchers (1993) - directed by Abel Ferrara

The Invasion (2007) - directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel and James McTeigue (uncredited)

(Simply vote for which version is your favorite)

Last edited by dhmac; 02-19-15 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
re: Poll: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Which Is Your Favorite Version? (Poll)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...hers-best.html

I have to imagine nobody will vote for the Kidman one.

Oh here's one with the Kidman option:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...56-1978-a.html

Additional opinions:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...d-i-watch.html
Old 02-19-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
re: Poll: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Which Is Your Favorite Version? (Poll)

Mine is the 1978 version.

Old 02-19-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

1956 just a bit above 1978.
Old 02-19-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

'78
'56
'93

'07
Old 02-19-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by antspawn
This thread should have a poll!
It is a poll, it's just the software here requires submitting the thread *before* creating the poll (it's a bit of pain to deal with, so I write the poll out ahead of time in a text editor to speed the process as best as I can)
Old 02-19-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Love the '78 version. I've actually never seen the '93 version. The Kidman/Craig version was AWFUL.
Old 02-19-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

'56 followed closely by '78.

The other two can burn.
Old 02-19-15, 03:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I love both the '78 and '56 versions, with a slight nod to'78.

I actually really enjoy the '93 version.

Never seen the '07 but plan to watch all four back-to-back in July.
Old 02-19-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a huge fan of the '56 and '78 versions and, even now, still have a tough time picking between them.

But what inspired this thread was that a few years ago, I gave some friends (a married couple) my DVD of the '78 version because I was replacing it with the Blu-ray version. And then I found out later that they watched it (I think all the way to the end credits, but I'm not sure) and they hated it. And yet they both liked the 2007 version, so it surprised the hell out of me for them to hate a version I think is much better. (But I should add that these friends have had some odd movie choices in the past, so maybe it just fits the pattern.)

(BTW, I don't think the 2007 version is terrible like most reviews say, but it's definitely, IMO, not the best version.)

Last edited by dhmac; 02-19-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This is a hard question. I like both the '78 and '56 versions about equally, but there were some really good parts of the 93 version too. I also liked the 2005 TV Series. I haven't seen the 2007 version. I guess I have to go with 1978.
Old 02-19-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

What's great about the '56 version is that it's all done with the most minimal effects. In fact, the only effect is the pods themselves. And these are just props created for the film. Everything else is done via acting.

That scene with the dog in the street is a masterpiece and sums up the film for me. I think of that a lot when I see modern-day pod people parade through the streets enslaved by their "pods."

Old 02-19-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a huge fan of 50's sci-fi, so of course I like the '56 one better.

About the ending...

Spoiler:

...even though some complain about the "happy" ending (didn't I read it was tacked on just for the movie?)--to me, that works really well. The whole movie is just dark, creepy, increasingly claustrophobic and paranoid. When he's lost everyone and almost his own mind, and he's in the police station at the end and the report comes in about the pods found, and he sighs and practically collapses with relief--I'm almost sighing with him. Maybe it's not artistically noble, but to me, it's just SUCH an emotionally satisfying ending. Like a weight is lifted off his and the audience's shoulders. It's not completely happy, because there's still going to be a massive fight ahead against the pod people, but at least now there's hope. And for me, that's why I didn't enjoy the '78 version as much.

edit: oh, and I think the 1994 version (The Puppet Masters) with Donald Sutherland is quite good as well.

edit 2: Oh, I just read that The Puppet Masters was actually based on Heinlein's novel of the same name, not Invasion of the Body Snatchers--although I guess that book was accused of ripping off "The Puppet Masters."

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 02-19-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 56 version has an expressionistic paranoia, the 78 versions has an existential, European Hanake-esque sense of dread and banality. Personally, I prefer the lean B-movie thrills of the Siegel version, but the Kaufman version is a worthy interpretation. Both are good and timely reinterpretations of a story that's an endlessly malleable what-if idea. Another remake wouldn't go amiss whit the proper talent attached, it's still as timely as ever and the digital age is ripe for another interpretation. Though given the current state of things, it's probably best to just stick with what we have.

Wish there was a BD of the 1993 version. SD master looks like crap. Wonder what the 2007 version would've looked like prior to the studio interference?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-19-15 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

Additional opinions:

I wasn't familiar with the old polls so that was pretty funny.
Old 02-19-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
edit: oh, and I think the 1994 version (The Puppet Masters) with Donald Sutherland is quite good as well.

edit 2: Oh, I just read that The Puppet Masters was actually based on Heinlein's novel of the same name, not Invasion of the Body Snatchers--although I guess that book was accused of ripping off "The Puppet Masters."
Yeah, the 1994 movie Puppet Masters - which is pretty good - is the main reason (but not the only reason because there are others) why I added the 7th poll option "I prefer a different version of this basic story not listed"
Old 02-19-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

The one with naked Gabrielle Anwar.
Old 02-19-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The one with naked Gabrielle Anwar when she still looked human.
Fixed

Old 02-19-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yeah, the 1994 movie Puppet Masters - which is pretty good - is the main reason (but not the only reason because there are others) why I added the 7th poll option "I prefer a different version of this basic story not listed"
Ah, gotcha.
Old 02-19-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
[RichC2]

Additional opinions:

I wasn't familiar with the old polls so that was pretty funny.
I searched but completely discounted anything more than 5 years old (or before 2010 if you are reading this years from now) based on this: ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...d-threads.html )

(OK, maybe not a decade, but I think these are still firmly in the "threads too old to bump" category)

Last edited by dhmac; 02-19-15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 07:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Mine is the 1978 version.

i approve this message!
Old 02-19-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Looks like I'm the only one but for my money its the 1993 "Body Snatchers" version. Abel Ferrara in his prime.
Old 02-19-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Poll: Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Which Is Your Favorite Version? (Poll)

Originally Posted by Chadm
Looks like I'm the only one but for my money its the 1993 "Body Snatchers" version. Abel Ferrara in his prime.
I think that's a good version of the basic story.

The only real fault I have with it is setting the film on a military base where dehumanization is par for the course. Telling the difference between someone marching around in formation and saluting in unison from a body-snatched person is virtually impossible. Maybe that was the point, but the idea doesn't work without a contrast within the movie.