DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with set up

Old 01-28-15, 08:11 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with set up

Would appreciate some help here guys, and go easy on me since this is actually the first surround sound system I have owned.

Last week a buddy of mine upgraded his system and gave me his old one which is a Sony DAV-DX150.

It is a 5 disc system, which has actually crapped out. The tray won't eject and when I initially turn the system on it makes a sound as if it is trying to rotate and keeps "clicking" - is there any way to fix that? A friend of his checked it out and couldn;t figure it out.

Anyway, right now I can live with that since its really more the sound I'm interested in.

I have a blu ray player, Roku and the cable box that I use on the TV. Right now depending on what I want to watch, I have to switch out the red/white/yellow AV leads in order to experience he surround sound based on what equipment I am using.

Is there anyway to bypass all that and set it up so that it can all run through the same system without switching the leads?

In the past I've used an HDMI splitter for other electronics that use HDMI on the same tv - is there something similar?

I know all this probably sound ridiculous. but I've only had the system a week and between work etc I really haven't had the chance to do much research
Old 01-28-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Help with set up

Try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-sensing-V...ords=av+switch

For the disc player, it is likely either the motor or the "belts" (tiny rubber bands) that the motor moves that is dying so it can't open the drawer anymore. This is the standard way for a disc player to die, esp the ones with huge drawers. You could certainly have it fixed at a local shop, but you might find the cost of a fix to be similar or greater than the cost of a new machine. If you can "help" it open while it is clicking, you might find that it is just stuck or the tray is cracked or something that is physically stopping it from opening. But I would say it's over 90% chance that the motor system is simply shot.
Old 01-29-15, 09:09 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Re: Help with set up

OK, cool. Checked out the reviews and that's something that might definitely work.

As for the tray, when I get more time I'll check it out and see if its just maybe stuck or something. If it's more than that, then I can live with the start up noise for the time being since the system was free