Reload this Page >

Why can't I get motivated to play?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-18-15, 04:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts

i've been in such a gaming rut lately that no matter what i do, how i say i will play, but don't seem to ever do. i've tried popping in different games, i have the time, but can't seem to actually play a game, even for a bit. i don't know what it is...

what is that? ever happen to you where you want to play, intend to play and then just don't?
Old 01-18-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts
Re: Why can't I get motivated to play?

For me it kind of goes in cycles. Movies, games, television shows, books. I kind of go for a year where I barely engage in one of those 4 and do the other 3 more.
Old 01-18-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's happened to me in the past with my PS3. Not sure what got me out of it, but I went about 6 months with zero desire to turn it on and play it.
Old 01-18-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It happens to all of us old gamers. Since we have a wider taste in media than when we were younger where we just wanted to play games all day, now we wanna watch a movie, tv show, or read a book. I'll go entire months without gaming.
Old 01-18-15, 06:27 PM

it's amazing to me bc though i want to play real bad, i have the desire to further the adventures of whoever and get lost in atmosphere and gameplay. but, can't seem to pull the trigger (pun intended).
Old 01-18-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been laying/sitting around all weekend sick and bored off my ass but I can't seem to pull the trigger either.

And it's not like I don't enjoy Far Cry 4. It's pretty awesome. I just can't get motivated.
Old 01-18-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I spent the whole month of December not playing anything. That was after pretty much gaming since August non stop.
Old 01-18-15, 06:59 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This has been happening to me of late I just can't get motivated to play games. It might be because I have so many games in my backlog I don't know what to play. Who knows I just end up watching a blu ray or tv.
Old 01-18-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This has been me for the last few years. I have over 60 PS3/360 games I have not opened yet!!! Let's not even mention Steam. Never in the mood to play.
Old 01-18-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is me lately as well. In the last two weeks the only games I've played is Far Cry 4 for maybe 30 minutes and Elite: Dangerous for maybe an hour. I really want to play Dragon Age 3 more, as well as my giant backlog of games, I just can't seem to get motivated.
Old 01-18-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm in a lull right now as well. Spent 45 hours on Mordor, then burned through Stick it to the Man, Steamworld Dig and Titan Attacks. Gave a few other downloadables a shot but right now I'm trying to get back into some reading.
Old 01-18-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I most often go through lulls when I'm stuck. I tend to only play one game at a time, which is a big part of it.
Old 01-18-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burned Out - It's happened to me several times.
Old 01-18-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think everyone go through phases like that. I was in a bit of a lull right after getting my XBox One and not having much motivation to play, but the last month i've been in a groove and spending a ton of time playing everything I can.
Old 01-18-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think there's a pill for this - Playamine, IIRC.
Old 01-19-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we all go through lulls for the most part. I tend to play my games slow since life kicks in far too often (work, wife, etc) so if I am dragging through a boring game, I might not play it for a while. Sometimes though it just takes the right game to get me back into the "fever". Currently, I'm playing GTA: San Andreas Xbox 360 port, and even though the port has audio issues and glitches galore, I really am digging this trip through nostalgia (I already have spent more time with it than when I played the PS2 version back in the day). But the last game I played before that, Lego Marvel...I was dragging big time. Something about been there, done that and the flying controls I struggled to finish what I could (which was everything except 100%).
Old 01-19-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're all grown up now.

Please don't wait for me.
Old 01-19-15, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the OP is overthinking it. Sometimes you just don't know wtf to do. Not a big deal. Get the fuck over it. It's video games. Not a big deal. I get in periods like that too. It's not that amazing.
Old 01-19-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

You see, when you sit on your ass all day you get depressed and moody.....go get a good workout in and take care of things you have been putting off for a while.....bet you'll feel great at the end of the day and will wind-down with some video game playing or other activity.
Old 01-19-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As I get older this happens to me quite a bit. Maybe sensory overload. I dunno.
Old 01-19-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

I think Oldboy thinks that if he cranks up the games and spends 2-3 hours on whatever game that he may be wasting his time and not using it for something more productive. Hence probably the reason why he's in such a "rut"

Don't overthink it. If you would rather do something else, then do something else more productive then. or pack up the console and games and put them away in storage if you aren't motivated at all anymore.

If you think you've outgrown gaming and aren't going to make the most of it anymore, sell your system and games and use the money for something else more productive if you're starting to think it's a waste of your valuable time. I don't think this is some psychology rut, you either want to/have the time to play or you don't.
Old 01-19-15, 01:48 PM

^ i don't think i am overthinking and i surely don't want to pack it all up. i invested a lot and like my setup. i look forward to playing and consistently want to, but then something happens between that desire and the actuality. i can't explain it clearly, obviously, but overthinking i'm not so sure...
Old 01-19-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i've been in such a gaming rut lately that no matter what i do, how i say i will play, but don't seem to ever do. i've tried popping in different games, i have the time, but can't seem to actually play a game, even for a bit. i don't know what it is...

what is that? ever happen to you where you want to play, intend to play and then just don't?
Never, if I've made the decision to pick up the controller, I play.
Old 01-19-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I get in those ruts from time to time as well. My job has me sitting in front of a computer most of the day, so there are plenty of nights where I don't want to look at one.

Other times though, I'll have my Steam client open, and nothing looks appealing.
Old 01-20-15, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ i don't think i am overthinking and i surely don't want to pack it all up. i invested a lot and like my setup. i look forward to playing and consistently want to, but then something happens between that desire and the actuality. i can't explain it clearly, obviously, but overthinking i'm not so sure...
All you need is a change-up. I've been through these cycles before and they usually happen when my free time gets squeezed. That's when I find it hard to get motivated to dig into games that require large time investments to make satisfactory progress. And that's where handhelds come in. I've found that playing pick up and play games on handhelds (like turn-based strategy games) are just the ticket when I'm in a gaming "rut." I love the game suspend feature. I recently played through Battle for Atluma on the PSP (a Magic the Gathering type of card game) that was a perfect answer to scratching the gaming itch during whatever free time I had. Dust off a handheld and kick back on the couch with a good pick up and play game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.