Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Lego game for younger kids (Ages 4-8)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So there are a ton of Lego games out there (Batman, Marvel super heroes, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings/Harry potter, Star Wars etc)

My kid is 4 and we play 2 player Lego Star Wars. For those that have kids who have played these kinds of games, what game would be next best? Especially for kids? Are there some a little more challenging than others?
Old 01-14-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Best Lego game for younger kids (Ages 4-8)

They're all basically the same type of thing. I would just go with whatever he's into. My kids really like the Lego Movie game.
Old 01-14-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Yeah, if he doesn't have specific interests, maybe Batman next. We played the heck out of Star Wars and Batman but only part of Indiana Jones and Harry Potter and very little of Lord of the Rings. Probably part Lego burnout and part finding other games to play.

Last edited by davidh777; 01-14-15 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LEGO Clone Wars has an RTS component that probably isn't good for kids that young and LEGO Indy 2 has a level editor that would probably be too advanced. Aside from that there's probably nothing in any of them that differs in regards to difficulty.
Old 01-14-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

One thing to note - especially with little kids : Since Lego Batman 2 (I think) they've used a checkpoint system. Before that I used to get super-frustrated spending 30 minutes or more on a level and having to turn it off before completion and losing all my progress. That checkpoint system (which isn't in the Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Harry Potter games, iirc) is really a nice addition. So is the split/screen co-op which allows the two players to be more than a few feet apart so one figure isn't "dragged" closer to the other once they start to move away from each other in co-op games (that started with Lego Indy 2).
Old 01-14-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. He is really into Marvel (especially Loki) so we might get that next.

OMG. Decker. the lack of check point system in Star Wars has been an issue. As well as the 2 player mode where you if your kid wants to go one way you are essentially dragged with him. Glad they fixed those issues.
Old 01-14-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also is there a friendly fire off option in future games? Hah
Old 01-14-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Nope, but that's part of the fun!
Old 01-14-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Nope, but that's part of the fun!
haha, in Star Wars I always ask my kid if I can grab all the 'coins' to buy things in the shop (That is his favorite, is buying new characters in the shop). Because he always dies lol, and when you die you lose coins.
Old 01-14-15, 12:50 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The disney infinity marvel heroes is a great game for kids. I even love it. the combat is very cool. I am using Hulk and he is badass.

Back to Lego though, my kid just turned 4 so I think the Lego games might be a little too much for him due to the constant "mini-puzzles" I have found in my experience. They are simple, but for my kid he isn't ready for that. I do like that when you die you just respawn where you are at.....much less frustration. I am 36 but i love the lego games...i find them hilarious.
Old 01-14-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
The disney infinity marvel heroes is a great game for kids. I even love it. the combat is very cool. I am using Hulk and he is badass.

Back to Lego though, my kid just turned 4 so I think the Lego games might be a little too much for him due to the constant "mini-puzzles" I have found in my experience. They are simple, but for my kid he isn't ready for that. I do like that when you die you just respawn where you are at.....much less frustration. I am 36 but i love the lego games...i find them hilarious.
I usually handle the tricky puzzles. He is just really good at running around and killing things heh.