Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon admitted to me they cancel orders on the market place if price is too low!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon admitted to me they cancel orders on the market place if price is too low!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at a book for a few weeks. Out of print and selling for $20. That's too expensive as I've seen it as low as $1. What I don't understand is how the prices fluctuate so much. I doubt demand is that high for this book to warrant prices that drop and rise like the stock market.

So today I look at the book (I'm in the habit of checking my phone everyday due to those fluctuations) and the book is now $0.12. Wow what a difference! I buy it asap! Later in the day I check my order and it cant be found. No where on the site. I check my bank and I was charged. So I chat with Amazon and this is what he says.

The order was found to be out of stock. It happens, but I say bullshit as prices fluctuate too much, the price was too low. So I proceed to chat with him where he changes the story that the price was in fact an error and cancelled. I said there were 2 books for this price, how can two sellers make the error. He admits that amazon changes to prices with this:

"Syed: Ravenous, For an instance, if an item is selling at a price of $500.00 But an seller in amazon selling the item at $53.00. We consistently look the price with the market and fix it.We've a team regarding this named catalog team. They'll pull up the information and investigate with the seller if it is valid they'll update the price ‎"

To me that tells me they're changing prices on their own accord. I got the book at an error price and they lied to me that it was out of stock as they didn't want to sell the item at a lower price. It sounds like if I have something that Amazon sells for $500 and I want to sell it for $200, Amazon will change that. Isn't that wrong?

Maybe Im crazy, its been a long day. But when I see Amazon Market prices fluctuate drastically (one day an item is $18, just to shoot up to $100 with no change in the used/new stock), I have to wonder why.

Vent over lol
Old 01-13-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon admitted to me they cancel orders on the market place if price is too low!

I emailed the marketplace seller and they told me they did not cancel the order, Amazon did it on their own accord. They have the item still and don't know why it was canceled.
Old 01-14-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Amazon admitted to me they cancel orders on the market place if price is too low!

Their system for marketplace sellers still has issues and there's still issues where it will list something you have out of stock. It's rare but it's easy enough to find issues like that on their forums.

As for price fluctuations, lots of sellers use bots to automate prices, so you could have them messing crap up like those 9999999.99 prices you'll sometimes see.
Old 01-14-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Of course, are you surprised? Their 'marketplace' caters to Amazon, and Amazon only. They should have no business tinkering with the price a third-party seller feels is reasonable to sell an item for. But, if their algorithm tells Amazon that 'profit' goes below some magic threshold for that item, Presto, it gets cancelled, with no explanation provided. Or, perhaps some canned response which everyone with an IQ > 1 can figure out is not the real reason.

Right, so who's leveling the playing field now? The dice are weighted of course, and snake eyes always comes up.