Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Strangers (D: David Fincher / W: Gillian Flynn) S: Ben Affleck - Hitchcock remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Strangers (D: David Fincher / W: Gillian Flynn) S: Ben Affleck - Hitchcock remake

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Strangers (D: Fincher) S:Affleck

Fincher and Affleck teaming up for a remake of Hitchcock's 'Strangers on a Train'

http://deadline.com/2015/01/ben-affl...rl-1201348983/

Ben Affleck and David Fincher will re-team on a Warner Bros remake of the Hitchcock classic thriller Strangers On A Train. Gillian Flynn, who adapted her novel Gone Girl for Fincher and Affleck, is in talks to write the script. The film will be produced by Affleck under Pearl Street, the Warner Bros-based banner he runs with Matt Damon. WB’s Jon Berg is overseeing. They are calling it Strangers.
Old 01-13-15, 02:27 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Ben Affleck and David Fincher will re-team on a Warner Bros remake of the Hitchcock classic thriller Strangers On A Train. Gillian Flynn, who adapted her novel Gone Girl for Fincher and Affleck, is in talks to write the script. The film will be produced by Affleck under Pearl Street, the Warner Bros-based banner he runs with Matt Damon. WB’s Jon Berg is overseeing. They are calling it Strangers.

Though the Hitchcock remake–a Warner Bros library title and an adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith novel–will be its basis, this film will be contemporary and redefined for the times. This one might be best titled Strangers On A Plane, as Affleck will play a variation of the role played by Farley Granger of a tennis pro who is bored with his marriage and wants to get divorced, but instead gets entwined with a wealthy socialite psycho who proposes the notion of exchanging murders. The twist here is a compelling one. Affleck will play a movie star–in the middle of a campaign for an Oscar during awards season–whose private plane breaks down and is given a ride to LA on another plane by a wealthy stranger. In Fincher’s hands, who knows how that goes, but it sure does seem like fertile ground.

The idea of a remake has been kicking around for some time, with Arnold Kopelson at one point attempting it but never getting it off the ground. This is an important get for Warner Bros, and top brass is high on the project: Affleck, Fincher and Flynn’s Gone Girl was a lucrative one for Fox and New Regency, grossing $350 million worldwide on a $60 million budget.

The project will follow the track of an express train, despite Affleck’s busy schedule. He is clearing space to shoot Strangers between directing and starring in the Dennis Lehane novel adaptation Live By Night in the spring, and starring in Justice League in 2016. Fincher has his own projects at HBO that will keep him busy in the interim. Affleck will next be seen in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice.
http://deadline.com/2015/01/ben-affl...rl-1201348983/
Old 01-13-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Strangers (D: David Fincher / W: Gillian Flynn) S: Ben Affleck - Hitchcock remake

Old 01-13-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Strangers (D: David Fincher / W: Gillian Flynn) S: Ben Affleck - Hitchcock remake

Beaten by a minute.
Old 01-13-15, 02:36 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I think this could be excellent material for Fincher. I can see it now.
Old 01-13-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Fincher must really like Flynn. Gone Girl, she's writing episodes of Utopia, and now this. Props to her for turning a job at Entertainment Weekly and writing books on the side into a full career in high budget films with one of the best directors currently working.
Old 01-13-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

They need to hire Samuel L. Jackson for this movie, if only so he can say this:

"I've had it with these mother f'ing strangers on this mother f'ing plane!"
Old 01-13-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I'm a big fan of Strangers on a Train, but Fincher's upcoming tv projects (Utopia, noir series with Ellroy) seem much more appealing to me. Also, I can't say I'm too excited about Fincher continuing to work with Affleck. He was perfect for Gone Girl, but I don't really care to see more.
Old 01-13-15, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrmmm. This could really work out.
Old 01-13-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only director who should be allowed to remake Hitch is/was Hitch.

I'm sure this will be entertaining enough and look like a Fincher film, but really? He couldn't find an original screenplay or adapt something new?

At least De Palma has the courtesy of making movies that only feel like remakes...and Stoker was only heavily influenced by Shadow of a Doubt. Really liked Sotker, I should rewatch that again soon.

It's Fincher, so I'll see it at some point. But, it feels like we're such a long way from Zodiac.
Old 01-13-15, 03:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Already been done by Danny DeVito.
Old 01-13-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
The only director who should be allowed to remake Hitch is/was Hitch.

I'm sure this will be entertaining enough and look like a Fincher film, but really? He couldn't find an original screenplay or adapt something new?

At least De Palma has the courtesy of making movies that only feel like remakes...
And there's also Claude Chabrol.

Stoker was only heavily influenced by Shadow of a Doubt. Really liked Sotker, I should rewatch that again soon.
I did not like Stoker. Maybe I should give it another try.

It's Fincher, so I'll see it at some point. But, it feels like we're such a long way from Zodiac.
Old 01-13-15, 06:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Afleck and Damon would be perfect for the leads. Already tons of implied homoeroticism there.
Old 01-13-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Works for me. David Fincher can do no wrong.
Old 01-13-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Works for me. David Fincher can do no wrong.
Says you.
Old 01-13-15, 06:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i am definitely up for this considering GG.
Old 01-13-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

They'll have to add a lot of extra material to make it Fincher's standard 2.5-hour run time. Still, I'm intrigued.
Old 01-13-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Says you.
#infincherwetrust
Old 01-14-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
#infincherwetrust
Except for Alien 3, Ben Button, Dragon Tattoo & Panic Room, I agree. I like Fincher a lot but even he can have misfires.
Old 01-14-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thou shalt not remake Hitchcock. I'm skeptical....
Old 01-14-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Fincher must really like Flynn. Gone Girl, she's writing episodes of Utopia, and now this. Props to her for turning a job at Entertainment Weekly and writing books on the side into a full career in high budget films with one of the best directors currently working.
Living all our dreams .
Old 01-14-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
Except for Alien 3, Ben Button, Dragon Tattoo & Panic Room, I agree. I like Fincher a lot but even he can have misfires.
I think Alien 3 and Panic Room were executed as well as their material would allow. Dragon Tattoo is the only one of his I didn't care for, odd because I enjoyed the original.

I still haven't forced myself to watch Ben Button.
Old 01-14-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Alien 3 and Panic Room were executed as well as their material would allow.
I agree that the reason those films did not work out were not just because of Fincher.

Dragon Tattoo is the only one of his I didn't care for, odd because I enjoyed the original.
I would consider this to actually be his worse film and I also liked the original.

I still haven't forced myself to watch Ben Button.
Of the 4 films I mentioned, I would actually say that this one IMO is better than the other 3.
Old 01-14-15, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not surprised. Fincher has amazing style but he doesn't seem to have many new ideas to offer the world of film. Most of his films are adaptations of books and/or remakes. Luckily his execution is almost always solid, but I feel like he's one of the most highly acclaimed directors who doesn't actually have a voice.
Old 01-14-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Outside of Zodiac, he doesn't for the most part, he sells entertainment and professionalism and does a damn fine job of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.