Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any Media-Related Resolution for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts
Any Media-Related Resolution for 2015?

I know lots of folks made resolutions during 2014, particularly after reading Alan Smithee's thread.

The number of participants has dwindled in the monthly unwatched threads, but I still use those to monitor my progress in making a dent in all of my unwatched BDs/DVDs. This year, I resolve to actually making progress in that endeavor!

My goals are to:
  • Watch more than I buy each month
  • Watch every unwatched BD in my collection. I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 of those. Of that number, there are quite a few that I've never seen, along with many films I've seen previously in the theater or on DVD.
  • I'm also hopeful of having a smaller collection at the end of 2015. The best way for me to accomplish this will be to get rid of things I watch that I know I won't revisit in the future. I also have a few sealed items that I'm convinced I'll never get to--my hope is to list those in the exchange forum sometime in the early part of the year.
  • I have a number of books that I own that haven't been read. I intend to get to some of those as well.
What about you? Any particular goals? Maybe it's related to watching stuff (either more or less!) or perhaps to become more organized with your media collection. I figure making a list here gives one the false sense of being accountable to someone.
Old 12-31-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any Media-Related Resolution for 2015?

I cancelled my amazon prime thing in November and while I did look to see what they offered in the threads, I did not place an order. At Costco I only bought two titles Casablanca and Singin in the rain blu box sets. I think my disc buying days are over. Maybe I will check my older dvd's from 1999 and on to see if they have dvd rot in the next year.
Old 12-31-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Not trying to thread hijack (have been thinking about this for a few days) but The BR/DVD spending tab for 2015 will be incorporating Media Resolutions.

My resolution this year is to peg my physical media purchases to miles ran

Each DVD = 1 Mile
Each Blu-Ray = 2 Miles
Each 3D-BR or Box Set = 3 Miles
Any Dead Format = 5 Miles
Old 12-31-14, 11:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'll definitely do a few. My OCD is very list/resolution based.

I'm thinking one Criterion, Best Picture Oscar Winner, and MST3K a week; trying to merge them with our Challenges as much as possible.

I will absolutely NOT be doing the DVDTalk Annual Challenge this year. That was an awful thing.
Old 01-01-15, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build a library to house my collection and sell off duplicate titles that have been upgraded. Catch up on cataloging everything in my Profiler.

I always seem to tell myself I am going to cut back, but then the deals pop up. So many of my purchases are driven by price. One goal is to be a little more picky about what I buy. There is not a whole lot I REALLY want, but there is a LOT I kinda want. I got 50 or so titles at Fry's for .99 or less. Many of these I wouldn't have paid 5 bucks for (like Discovery docs), but a buck, why not? I guess as long as deals like that pop up, I'll still buy a lot. I have cut back on $5 blu-rays, which used to be a sweet spot. I'd buy almost anything that kinda looked good. Now it's stuff I really want. So I guess that's some progress.

EDIT: Also, after having gotten into steel books a couple of years ago, I'm officially burnt out. Collecting all the Disney Zavvi stuff was really expensive. So I'm glad that's over. I will stick with superhero, Disney and iconic images (like Jaws) and that should curb my spending considerably. I'm also going to sell off some of my questionable purchases.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 01-01-15 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-01-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I came to the realization somewhere right after Black Friday that I simply had too much crap (as documented in this post). My resolutions are to buy less, to watch more, and to start getting rid of some of my DVDs, VHS tapes, books, and laserdiscs. I'll never get rid of ALL of them, but...1,300 VHS tapes? 4,400 DVDs? 1,700 books? My stuff is now officially owning me, and I'm going to put a stop to it.

As SterlingBen noted above, he's included media resolutions into the 2015 Spending Tab thread (thanks, Ben!). I'll still list every disc that I buy, but this year I'm also going to list every media item that I get rid of. First they'll go into the donation box that I keep by the back door, then when that gets full they'll all go the library or the Salvation Army, OR they'll be listed on Amazon or eBay. Enough has become too much, and it's time to start purging.
Old 01-01-15, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Mine are to not overbuy, but still buy enough to keep the industry healthy and happy- especially 3D Blu-Rays!
Old 01-01-15, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I don't make "resolutions" but my goal for the year is to watch more than I purchase. Since the "Classic" TVonDVD releases (50s/60s/70s) seem to be drying up, partly because most significant titles have seen releases, that should be easier.
Old 01-01-15, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll try to make a dent in my unwatched pile.
Old 01-01-15, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Similar to what people stated, my goal is to buy less and watch more. I think I have been doing well the last few years in limiting my purchases to my "essentials" according to me.
Old 01-01-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch more, naturally.

Otherwise, more digital; less physical.
Old 01-01-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

I always seem to tell myself I am going to cut back, but then the deals pop up. So many of my purchases are driven by price. One goal is to be a little more picky about what I buy. There is not a whole lot I REALLY want, but there is a LOT I kinda want. I got 50 or so titles at Fry's for .99 or less. Many of these I wouldn't have paid 5 bucks for (like Discovery docs), but a buck, why not? I guess as long as deals like that pop up, I'll still buy a lot. I have cut back on $5 blu-rays, which used to be a sweet spot. I'd buy almost anything that kinda looked good. Now it's stuff I really want. So I guess that's some progress.
If you have money and space, that seems very reasonable. Stuff you want at a price that's a bargain. Resolutions that can be stuck to!
Old 01-01-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Watch more of what I have, buy less.

There are a few things that have been announced that are automatic day one purchases- but for everything that isn't, especially Bd upgrades, I'm going to try to get back in the habit of pushing things off as long as possible. Since Amazon is no longer an outlet to sell off casual purchases and subsidize new ones, I've got to force myself to be much more selective.

Ideally, I would like to cut down my DVD/Bd budget 50% this year from what I spent in 2014.