Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most anticipated movie of 2015?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Most anticipated movie of 2015?
Jupiter Ascending (Feb)
0%
Fifty Shades of Grey (Feb)
0%
Divergent Series: Insurgent (Mar)
0%
Furious 7 (Apr)
2.94%
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (Apr)
0%
Avengers: Age of Ultron (May)
16.67%
Mad Max: Fury Road (May)
6.86%
Tomorrowland (May)
0.98%
Entourage (Jun)
0%
Jurassic World (Jun)
1.96%
Ted 2 (Jun)
0%
Magic Mike XXL (Jul)
0%
Terminator: Genisys (Jul)
1.96%
Ant Man (Jul)
0%
Pan (Jul)
0%
Poltergeist (Jul)
0%
The Fantastic Four (Aug)
0%
The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials (Sep)
0%
London Has Fallen (Oct)
0%
Spectre (Nov)
5.88%
Friday the 13th (Nov)
0%
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Nov)
0%
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Dec)
55.88%
Mission Impossible 5 (Dec)
0.98%
Other, please specify...
5.88%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-14, 10:21 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...orward-to.html

A new survey, conducted by the online ticketing company Fandango, suggests that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is 2015's most anticipated movie. While seeing JJ Abrams's movie at the top of the list comes as no great shock, some of the other results are more surprising: is Christian Grey really more exciting than a shark-eating mosasasaurus?

Below, we've listed the top five films of 2015, as revealed by Fandango's survey, and opened our own poll, to see if the results match up.

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

There's almost a year to go before JJ Abrams's Star Wars sequel opens on December 17 2015, but, given the frenzied reaction to the film's trailer, Star Wars 7 mania is already at a record high. Abrams is doing his best to keep plot details secret, despite a barrage of "leaks" and rumours. Officially, we know that Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – who appeared in the trailer in a Star Wars costume – will star as characters named Rey and Finn, alongside a cast that includes Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver, Gwendoline Christie and a rather adorable new roller-ball droid. Avid Star Wars geeks can also look forward to a revamped MIllennium Falcon, a mysterious villain, wielding a new triple-pronged crossguard lightsaber, and the return of three key actors from the original trilogy: Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill. Most fans are probably just hoping that it'll be better than The Phantom Menace. You can keep up to date with the latest Star Wars news and rumours here.

2. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Joss Whedon's Avengers Assemble was one of Marvel's most enjoyable recent films, combining pitch-perfect Whedon-esque humour with the sheer exhilaration of watching superheroes such as Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr) unite to take down a common enemy. Sequel Age of Ultron (also scripted and directed by Whedon) opens on May 1 2015, and will see several new additions to the existing ensemble cast, including Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch, Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Quicksilver and James Spader's antagonist Ultron, a robot with a god complex, described by Whedon as "genuinely disturbed". The ongoing war against arch-villain Thanos will then continue with two further films – Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and Avengers: Infinity War Part 2, which are scheduled for release in 2018 and 2019, respectively. Read more about Marvel's new slate of films here.

3. The Hunger Games – Mockingjay Part Two

Last year, Mockingjay – Part One topped the Fandango poll as the most anticipated movie of 2014. Part 2, the final instalment in the dystopian teen franchise, opens on November 20, and will see Jennifer Lawrence return as troubled heroine Katniss Everdeen, reluctant face of the rebellion against President Snow (Donald Sutherland). Fans of the source material, Suzanne Collins's best-selling YA trilogy, will know that a dramatic final twist is in store. As conclusions of big franchises tend to do quite well at the box office, director Francis Lawrence's film is guaranteed to be a hit.

4. Fifty Shades of Grey

While book adaptation Fifty Shades is the only film in the top five that isn't part of an existing movie franchise, that's not to say that it doesn't have a huge pre-made fan base: EL James's erotic novel has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide (even if a high proportion seem to end up at car boot sales and charity shops). The film tells the story of billionaire entrepreneur and S&M aficionado Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) and his lover, naive young student Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson). The film's trailer was recently named the most-watched movie trailer of 2014, ahead of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Fifty Shades of Grey opens on February 13 2015, just in time for Valentine's Day.

5. Jurassic World

Set 22 years after the original film, Jurassic World, the fourth instalment in the Jurassic Park franchise will treat fans to a dinosaur theme park: John Hammond's vision finally realised. While two lack-lustre sequels left fans of the first film disappointed, hopes are high for the next instalment, which stars Guardian's of the Galaxy's Chris Pratt as the park's velociraptor handler, and Bryce Dallas Howard as a genetic engineer. The trailer, which debuted online in November, featured a dramatic Sea World-style mosasaurus feeding show, and dropped hints as to the film's main threat: a mysterious, highly intelligent hybrid dinosaur. Jurassic World is released on June 12 2015
Old 12-31-14, 10:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Most anticipated movie of 2015?

For me, Spectre.
Old 12-31-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Star Wars. I mean lets get real here, I've been waiting for more adventures with Luke/Han/Leia for 25+ years
Old 12-31-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ultron easily for me. Never been a huge Star Wars fan, so barring friends wanting to see it or a work event I'll probably catch it a few weeks after release where as Ultron is an opening weekend thing for me.

And honestly, Furious 7 is probably my next anticipated I want to see what they do with Walker's character.
Old 12-31-14, 10:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Another Friday the 13th reboot? Jeebus...
Old 12-31-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

That list makes me feel old. No interest in Star Wars or Ultron. Mildly curious to see how Jurassic World turns out.
Old 12-31-14, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Hey look! A poll!
From that entire list, nothing stands out as really exciting to me. Sure new Star Wars is pretty cool, but I'm not a major fan (I like the movies, and that's about it). Jurassic World WAS exciting, but the trailer kind of dampened that a bit. More Avengers, Bond, Mission Impossible, and other super heroes? Okay. Ted 2? Are you kidding me?

So yeah... nothing is my 'most anticipated' thus far. Only the new Malick trailer got me excited, but again, I'm not his biggest fan in the world. I'm sure something will come up over the next couple months, though.
Old 12-31-14, 10:46 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

In order...
  1. The Avengers: Age of Ultron
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  3. Spectre
  4. Jurassic World
  5. Inside Out (the new Pixar film)
  6. Antman
  7. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II
  8. Insurgent
  9. Furious 7
  10. Mission Impossible 5
Old 12-31-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens edges out The Avengers: Age of Ultron for me. I'm just really curious to see if Abrams can capture some of the magic of the Original Trilogy back and erase the awful Prequel Trilogy from my memory. I'm really excited about seeing it and seeing the return of Luke, Han, and Leia. I'm excited for Age of Ultron quite a bit too though. It seems like Marvel films get better as they go.

Aside from those two films Terminator: Genisys looks like it could be a good time. I'm a fan of the franchise and a Schwarzenegger fanboy so I'm excited to see it. Jurassic World seems to have a cool vibe to it so far as well. It seems like it'll be somewhat similar to the first film more than either of the sequels which excites me. Ant Man should be good too. I wish Wright was still doing it but I have enough faith in Marvel to put out a good film plus I'm a Paul Rudd fan. Also the new Friday the 13th while I expect it to be a trainwreck I'll probably see day one. Probably my favorite of the big slasher franchises so I'm curious to see it.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-31-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-31-14, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
[B]Also the new Friday the 13th while I expect it to be a trainwreck I'll probably see day one. Probably my favorite of the big slasher franchises so I'm curious to see it.
is there a teaser or anything yet for this?
Old 12-31-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

I will have to say Mad Max, I hope it will be rated R, but will keep an open mind if its not. After that Star Wars and Friday the 13th. I actually want to see Fifty shades of Grey, a big Hollywood movie is coming out and looks to be full of plenty of sex, and its not a rom com. I will go watch it.
Old 12-31-14, 11:10 AM

i grew up on Star Wars and probably will see this with dad who i saw the others with...
Old 12-31-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I guess Star Wars. Although I won't allow myself to get too excited for it. Fool me once...

While I enjoyed the first Avengers movie I didn't think it was the second coming like others do. I'll go see Age of Ultron but it's nothing I'm highly anticipating.

Jurrasic World looks fun but I fully expect that it will fall far behind the first JP in quality.
Old 12-31-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 12-31-14, 11:17 AM

thanks to LorenzoL for the list.
Old 12-31-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Star Wars and Avengers 2, obviously. Although my interest is of course in whether or not the OOT will come out with it. The reactions to Fifty Shades will be fun .
Old 12-31-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I guess Star Wars. Although I won't allow myself to get too excited for it. Fool me once...

While I enjoyed the first Avengers movie I didn't think it was the second coming like others do. I'll go see Age of Ultron but it's nothing I'm highly anticipating.
I share the same sentiments about the Star Wars franchise and about The Avengers honestly. However with Lucas out of the picture I think The Force Awakens has a good chance of being awesome. I think some new creative forces is what the franchise needs rather than Lucas who can never seem to make up his mind day to day what he likes or doesn't like and what he's going to change next.

I think The Avengers was good but definitely overall overrated. I like most of the films that led up to it and that have came after it better to be honest. Age of Ultron seems like its really going to shake up the MCU though and I think there's potential for a lot of interesting things to happen.
Old 12-31-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's a lot of movies I'm excited about seeing. None of them, however, come close to my level of excitement for STAR WARS.

I'd probably be more excited about an AVENGERS movie if we didn't get a couple Marvel movies every year in the interim. I'm wondering if I'll start feeling the same way about STAR WARS in a few years.

The only thing entertainment-wise that I'm more excited about than Star Wars is the TV return of Twin Peaks, and that's not until 2016.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 12-31-14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-31-14, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Age of Ultron just slightly beats out The Force Awakens for me. Nothing else comes close to those two.
Old 12-31-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Force Awakens slightly over Age of Ultron just to see if Abrams can breath something new into Star Wars. A third would be Inside Out (not on the list). I would say my next 3 would be Ant Man, Tomorrowland, and Furious 7
Old 12-31-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My top 3 would be Age of Ultron, Furious 7, and Mockingjay Part 2. I'm also pretty hyped for Spectre, Jurassic World and Entourage. Looks like a solid 2015.
Old 12-31-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

SPECTRE
The Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Old 12-31-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The reactions to Fifty Shades will be fun .
Can't wait to hear the excuses of the men who were "forced" to watch it by their significant others.
Old 12-31-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

1. Star Wars: Episode VII
2. Avengers: Age of Ultron
3. SPECTRE
4. Mission: Impossible 5
5. Furious 7

Heck of a year for sequels.
Old 12-31-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Avengers I guess.
I also didn't think the first was wholly amazing. It was entertaining and competent and better than it probably had any right to be- but in terms of being the kind of film I would put on the same level as the best films I saw as a kid- not really close.
I would love to see Whedon finally make a film like that though. Till release it will be easy to keep my expectations in check based on my feelings toward the first one.

SW and Bond are more like watching the car up ahead driving too fast and erratically on an icy road. I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to navigate the terrain. And if they don't end up as horrible messes that will be some achievement alone.

Looking forward to Ant-man too as an unknown quantity with lowered expectations. Don't expect it will achieve anywhere near the same heights as GotG did though, which was also an unknown with cautious expectations this time last year. If people are expecting that same paradigm, Ant-man will likely suffer greatly by comparison.

Ultimately I don't think 2015 will be anywhere near as satisfying as 2014. Lots of big stuff that I expect to mostly come up short.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.