Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Which streaming device has best remote?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Which streaming device has best remote?

My dad has a good HT set up, but it is difficult to to make changes in the set up due to the design. They want to get a Netflix streaming device. It will plug right into the tv for ease of use. I have a Chrome cast and love it, but without a remote, I know they won't use it. I am thinking fire stick or Roku stick, leaning toward Fire stick due to the Amazon integration. The remotes look similar. Anything I should know of before I make a recommendation to him?
Old 12-30-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Which streaming device has best remote?

Originally Posted by Deftones
My dad has a good HT set up, but it is difficult to to make changes in the set up due to the design. They want to get a Netflix streaming device. It will plug right into the tv for ease of use. I have a Chrome cast and love it, but without a remote, I know they won't use it. I am thinking fire stick or Roku stick, leaning toward Fire stick due to the Amazon integration. The remotes look similar. Anything I should know of before I make a recommendation to him?
I like the Roku (both the remote and the actual service) better than the Fire - I have both and my Fire is currently unplugged and not connected because I get everything I need on the Roku (including Amazon Prime). The Roku remote has nice big and raised buttons that your Dad will probably appreciate. The Fire's remote has a flat circle for navigation that your father may find confusing, depending on how "techy" he is.
Old 12-30-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

My dad isn't a tech-noob, but the larger raised buttons seem like a better idea. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The Fire Stick is still a mess, imho, and can't recommend it. Flimsy wifi, wonky interface, buggy software.

That said, the Roku Stick has the best remote since it's more difficult to lose (it's larger) and it's a lot less buggy, though it's also pretty slow.

I bought my parents a refurbished Roku 3 (which supports Wifi Direct and IR remotes) and a Harmony 650 to control all of it (and their receiver). But that's the expensive way to do things.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-30-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-30-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Roku has the better remote, by far, but it's not good enough to warrant choosing Roku Stick over Fire Stick. The former is VERY sluggish, even more so than the reviews let on.
Old 12-30-14, 06:27 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

My dad has a good HT set up, but it is difficult to to make changes in the set up due to the design. They want to get a Netflix streaming device. It will plug right into the tv for ease of use.
Keep in mind that the Fire Stick requires plugging into an AC outlet. Only the newest Roku Stick and Chromecast are USB powered.

If it's at all possible with the HT setup, I'd recommend the Roku 3 over the Roku Stick. The Roku 3 remote doesn't require line-of-sight, so you can put the box inside a cabinet. Or maybe hang it behind/below the TV using a mount.

http://www.amazon.com/TotalMount-ROK...dp/B00I8Y6V9E/
http://www.amazon.com/TotalMount-ROK...dp/B00LLUUZC6/
Old 12-30-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Maybe they should go with the Roku 3 or regular Fire rather than the sticks since it sounds like this will be a permanent setup?
Old 12-30-14, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

He has power behind the mounted TV, so that is not an issue. It is more about not having to deal with recievers and universal remotes of the existing setup. I considered streaming boxes, but I think a stick one eliminates the visible box.
Old 12-30-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He has power behind the mounted TV, so that is not an issue. It is more about not having to deal with recievers and universal remotes of the existing setup. I considered streaming boxes, but I think a stick one eliminates the visible box.
The current Rokus all use Wifi Direct with its native remote (they all also offer IR simultaneously, incase you want it), so even the full version is mountable behind a TV.

Just had to reiterate that the Fire TV Stick is garbage right now.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-30-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Just get him a Fire TV and duct tape it to the back of the tv. Its pretty small and light, like 2 CD cases stacked. The remote also has the voice search for amazon stuff