Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie moments that make you go "hmmm"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not talking about plot-holes or scenes that are intentionally WTF?, but little moments that make you cock your head to the side and think "What was that about?" A few of my picks...

A Few Good Men

In Col. Jessup's famous speech,
Spoiler:
He singles out Lt. Weinberg. "Son, we live in a world that has walls. Who's going to guard them? You?" "You, **pointedly looking at him** Lt. Weinberg?"

As far as we know, Jessup has never met Weinberg. It's clear he doesn't take this trial seriously, so why would he even know the name of the co-counsel? Why does he single him out?

Wall Street

In the scene where
Spoiler:
Gordon confronts Bud...Why does Gordon pick up the bloody handkerchief Bud tosses on the ground? Not only is it disgusting, but the guy's filthy rich - why would he retrieve a dirty handkerchief? (Why'd he even agree to the meeting anyway, knowing Bud turned on him? But that's more into plot-hole territory).

Die Hard

Hans tells Karl to "shoot the glass" in German...twice. They're both German, but Karl doesn't understand until Hans tells him to do it in English.
Old 12-29-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Movie moments that make you go "hmmm"?

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom

Die Hard

Hans tells Karl to "shoot the glass" in German...twice. They're both German, but Karl doesn't understand until Hans tells him to do it in English.
That one is clearly for the audience...since most of US don't speak German.

The one that's always bothered me (and I've mentioned it in other threads) is from THE FUGITIVE.

At the end of the film, Gerard says to Richard (I'm paraphrasing, but this is pretty close): "Richard - I know you're innocent! I know about Sikes! No forced entry!"

Then he says: "Richard, I'm either lying or I'm going to shoot you."

NOW WAIT! So he's lying about knowing Richard is innocent? If he is, then he WOULD shoot him, right...because he would then think he's guilty!

That line drives me crazy, because otherwise THE FUGITIVE is a pretty great film.
Old 12-29-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boogie Nights

"My fucking wife's on the driveway with a fucking ass in her cock."
Old 12-29-14, 07:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always laugh at that. Not sure if PTA intended the words to be that but that character's state of mind sure rocked it.
Old 12-29-14, 07:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'm not talking about plot-holes or scenes that are intentionally WTF?, but little moments that make you cock your head to the side and think "What was that about?" A few of my picks...

A Few Good Men

In Col. Jessup's famous speech,
Spoiler:
He singles out Lt. Weinberg. "Son, we live in a world that has walls. Who's going to guard them? You?" "You, **pointedly looking at him** Lt. Weinberg?"

As far as we know, Jessup has never met Weinberg. It's clear he doesn't take this trial seriously, so why would he even know the name of the co-counsel? Why does he single him out?
2 seconds into video shows he was down in Cuba and met the Colonel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyMg...e_gdata_player
Old 12-29-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I just watched Fury the other day.
Spoiler:
Near the end they were all making their last stand in the tank. At one point they run out of ammo and Brad Pitt's character yells "there's more outside!" They then all have pop out of the tank and grab all the ammo they left outside. I know the tank was probably pretty crowded but you'd think they'd make room for fucking ammunition!
Old 12-29-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hbilly
Boogie Nights

"My fucking wife's on the driveway with a fucking ass in her cock."
William Macy messed up the line and PTA left it like that. It works good in the context because it makes it look like that he is so upset that he can't even speak properly.
Old 12-29-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Speaking of Die Hard, I've always wondered what this guy's problem was

Was he scared of elevators?
Old 12-29-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

In Six Degrees of Separation I can't understand the motivation of the cop who comes to the doctor's apartment to investigate Paul's "break-in".

The cop comes into the apartment with his gun drawn, but following behind the doctor. If he thinks the situation is dangerous enough to pull his gun out, why is he allowing the civilian to enter ahead of him?

THEN, when the cop sees that there is an intruder in the apartment, he immediately puts his gun away and stands back while the doctor confronts the intruder.
Old 12-29-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The weird dialogue exchange between Juliette Binoche and Bryan Cranston in Godzilla, when they're both in the car and she mentions their son made him a birthday sign and he sighs because he missed seeing it. Then two seconds later she says "Guess what, it's your birthday!", to which he sarcastically replies "It is?" I'm paraphrasing here, but the exchange is so clumsy and nonsensical it's like the editor screwed up on choosing takes.
Old 12-29-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I've seen Fargo a dozen times but I'm still unclear on the relationship between Carl Showalter, Gaear Grimsrud, and Shep Proudfoot. At the opening scene Carl says that Shep didn't tell them much but what he did tell them didn't make a lot of sense. Later Jerry visits Shep about the two guys and Shep says that he vouched for Grumsrud, doesn't know the other guy, and doesn't vouch for him. Later Shep beats the crap out of Carl when he's banging a chick in Shep's(?) apartment and seems to know him well enough.
Old 12-29-14, 03:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My first moment like this was the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Then after I really started watching Flying Circus did I realize it made perfect sense.
Old 12-29-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
The weird dialogue exchange between Juliette Binoche and Bryan Cranston in Godzilla, when they're both in the car and she mentions their son made him a birthday sign and he sighs because he missed seeing it. Then two seconds later she says "Guess what, it's your birthday!", to which he sarcastically replies "It is?" I'm paraphrasing here, but the exchange is so clumsy and nonsensical it's like the editor screwed up on choosing takes.
It's not an editing problem...it's a married couple verbally toying with one another. I thought that was obvious, but I guess not for everyone.
Old 12-29-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I've seen Fargo a dozen times but I'm still unclear on the relationship between Carl Showalter, Gaear Grimsrud, and Shep Proudfoot. At the opening scene Carl says that Shep didn't tell them much but what he did tell them didn't make a lot of sense. Later Jerry visits Shep about the two guys and Shep says that he vouched for Grumsrud, doesn't know the other guy, and doesn't vouch for him. Later Shep beats the crap out of Carl when he's banging a chick in Shep's(?) apartment and seems to know him well enough.
That wouldn't be Shep's apartment, that's the hotel where they went to see Julio perform.

When Shep says "Don't know him, don't vouch for him," I don't think he means he's never met Carl, just doesn't know him well enough to vouch for him. Like, he's never "worked" with Carl before.

But I've always gone, "Hmmm..." wondering how Shep knew where to find Carl when he was banging the hooker. He couldn't get in contact with them when Jerry wanted to call the whole thing off (or maybe he was lying to Jerry. Maybe Shep could have called the whole thing off but just didn't feel like it! All this time, Shep was the real villain of Fargo).
Old 12-29-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

In the Hong Kong movie, CHINA HEAT (1990), Sibelle Hu plays a policewoman confronting a band of well-armed thugs in a shipyard. She's alone on an open roadway between warehouses with no cover and a .38 snub nose revolver and she faces three guys with automatic weapons across from her. They fire at her repeatedly and miss. She starts shooting at them and they immediately freak out and yell, "Let's get out of here!" and run away. Hmmm.....indeed!
Old 12-29-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Any film where a lady has a man who goes away for business, yet comes back with a tan.
Old 12-29-14, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In the Hong Kong movie, CHINA HEAT (1990), Sibelle Hu plays a policewoman confronting a band of well-armed thugs in a shipyard. She's alone on an open roadway between warehouses with no cover and a .38 snub nose revolver and she faces three guys with automatic weapons across from her. They fire at her repeatedly and miss. She starts shooting at them and they immediately freak out and yell, "Let's get out of here!" and run away. Hmmm.....indeed!
You got to put it into context though. Female cops didn't have guns in that period. So their fear was justified.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-29-14 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
That wouldn't be Shep's apartment, that's the hotel where they went to see Julio perform.
I don't know, that definitely looked like a low-end apartment, not a hotel room.

When Shep says "Don't know him, don't vouch for him," I don't think he means he's never met Carl, just doesn't know him well enough to vouch for him. Like, he's never "worked" with Carl before.
I think Shep actually says he 'never heard of him.' He could be lying, but I wonder why. I think this scene was before Marge interviews him, so he doesn't have a reason to be paranoid yet.

But I've always gone, "Hmmm..." wondering how Shep knew where to find Carl when he was banging the hooker. He couldn't get in contact with them when Jerry wanted to call the whole thing off (or maybe he was lying to Jerry. Maybe Shep could have called the whole thing off but just didn't feel like it! All this time, Shep was the real villain of Fargo).
Agree on this, which is why I thought it might be Shep's place, while he's beating him he screams for Carl to get out.
Old 12-29-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's not an editing problem...it's a married couple verbally toying with one another. I thought that was obvious, but I guess not for everyone.
Hey! We went to see Godzilla, not Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?!!!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-29-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But it doesn't come across as toying; it's an awkward exchange because the birthday has already been acknowledged. Maybe less weird editing, more bad writing. I got what they were going for, it was just handled clumsily.
Old 12-29-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I don't know, that definitely looked like a low-end apartment, not a hotel room.
You're right. I just remembered Carl getting thrown over an old couch, it must not have been the hotel.

Yeah, who the fuck's place was that?
Old 12-29-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
But it doesn't come across as toying; it's an awkward exchange because the birthday has already been acknowledged. Maybe less weird editing, more bad writing. I got what they were going for, it was just handled clumsily.
It's also the delivery of the actors. Neither comes across like they were being playful. The actors deliver their lines as if Cranston's character is genuinely being reminded of his birthday without the prior acknowledgement of the sign.
Old 12-30-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched Star Wars last night and found myself wondering where the floating laser ball Luke used to practice his light saber technique on the Millennium Falcon came from. I'm assuming it wasn't something Han Solo had on board the ship, what would he need a device for practicing deflecting blasts for? Was Obi Wan just carrying it around in his pocket the whole time they were on Tatooine? It looked pretty big.
Old 12-30-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Watched Star Wars last night and found myself wondering where the floating laser ball Luke used to practice his light saber technique on the Millennium Falcon came from.
Old 12-30-14, 03:46 PM
Banned

I haven't watched that one in a while but I kind of assumed it was from Obi Wan but also didn't know why he would need it. I guess he liked to practice? I dunno.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.