Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I hate checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate checkpoints

I also hate any and all games that use them. I've just played the same section of The Last Of Us about 25 fucking times. I then slammed down the controller and cut power to the console. I will never return to this game. I absolutely LOATHE this game because of the save system...or should I say the NON-save system. If I had known the thing used checkpoints I never would have bought it. How do you feel about not being able to save when and where you want? Do you like playing the same damn thing over and over and over and over?
Old 12-22-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: I hate checkpoints

It's fine, learn 2 play.
Old 12-22-14, 11:22 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As long as there is a short distance between checkpoints i don't get too frustrated, but I definitely would prefer a save anytime you want option. Especially now since i have kids and have to stop playing at the drop of a hat sometimes.
Old 12-22-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are very, very few games these days that let you save anywhere and anytime you want. I'm struggling to think of any besides Bethesda-developed games (Elder Scrolls, Fallout).

Did you consider dropping the difficulty?
Old 12-22-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I miss the PC days where you could save anytime you wanted. It's still one of the things I dislike about consoles; even with plenty of hard drive space, I thought it was silly that some games still even restricted the number of saves you could have.

Also, long live the Quick Save/Quick Load.
Old 12-23-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Old 12-23-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Old 12-23-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like story driven games but don't like checkpoints, I've got some really bad news for you.

Was Last of Us a hard game? I don't remember it being a hard game.
Old 12-23-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I wish GTA IV had checkpoints
Old 12-23-14, 08:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what part of the game are you stuck at? I agree there are some games that have obnoxious checkpoints -- or lack thereof (I'm looking at you, GTA4). Still, I don't remember having a supremely difficult time with the ones on Last of Us. I suppose some of the stealth areas were a pain in the ass when I'd sneak around for 10 minutes carefully taking out enemies only to miss one, get killed, and have to start it all over, but once I made that mistake once I rarely made it again (in that same area).
Old 12-23-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The Last of Us would be too easy if you could simply play each encounter and save or re-load and play it again until you got it just right. The existence of checkpoints at all takes away just a tad from the feeling they want you to have of actually controlling these peoples' lives in this bleak world. I suck at the game and haven't finished it yet but I still think checkpoints are a better choice than saving when and where you want.
Old 12-23-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I prefer the save anywhere but I also don't mind checkpoints or autosave.

Then again, these days I rarely play anything above the "easy" difficulty. I just want to have fun and play and don't have the time to bang my head against the wall or put a ton of time into a game. I'm about to turn 42 and with a family, full time job, etc., gone are the days of playing a section over and over for me or even playing games through to the end that I am not highly enjoying. I used to finish games that I wasn't having much fun with just because. Now if I am not feeling the love or it feels like a chore to play I dump it. Whether it is two hours in or 12 hours in.

But as everyone said, drop the difficulty. Then enjoy or dump it.
Old 12-23-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love checkpoints. I hate games where you have to manually save, because of that one time when you spend hours on the game, and 1) you turn it off and forget to save, 2) a random power outage, and 3) something goes wrong.

Also, there isn't a part in the last of us that is that hard. Difficult sure, on survival, but not impossible.
Old 12-23-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Was Last of Us a hard game? I don't remember it being a hard game.
It certainly had some parts that were hard. Well, not "hard", but difficult in that they were designed to be played one specific way with little deviation. And if you're not playing it that one way, you're not getting past that point.
Old 12-23-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My one complaint about the Borderlands series which I otherwise love is the checkpoints and lack of Fast Travel from any point in the game. As long as you have reached a point already, they should include a option to travel there at any time from any place. I hate having to constantly travel back and forth over the same exact route 20 times.
Old 12-23-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The Last of Us would be too easy if you could simply play each encounter and save or re-load and play it again until you got it just right. The existence of checkpoints at all takes away just a tad from the feeling they want you to have of actually controlling these peoples' lives in this bleak world. I suck at the game and haven't finished it yet but I still think checkpoints are a better choice than saving when and where you want.
I disagree, if anything i'd say dying a bunch of times just takes away from the story which for me was the only compelling part of the game for me.

I don't recall Last of Us being that difficult, but do recall a few cases where I died a half dozen times or so.
Old 12-23-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
Is that a hint?
Old 12-23-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't mind Check Points, adds a little bit of challenge to games that are by and large too easy these days.
Old 12-23-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Just out of curiosity, what part of the game are you stuck at? I agree there are some games that have obnoxious checkpoints -- or lack thereof (I'm looking at you, GTA4). Still, I don't remember having a supremely difficult time with the ones on Last of Us. I suppose some of the stealth areas were a pain in the ass when I'd sneak around for 10 minutes carefully taking out enemies only to miss one, get killed, and have to start it all over, but once I made that mistake once I rarely made it again (in that same area).
It doesn't matter because I gave the game to my nephew, but I didn't get very far. I had to take out a clicker surrounded by runners so... the runners could see me and the clicker could hear me so no matter what I did I was fucked. I took out the runners several times but could not kill the clicker... shot him 6 times and wore out the pipe... that damn thing was invulnerable, at least with the weapons I had.

Numerous aspects of the game irritated me. A 9mm with a 6 shot capacity? Really? I've owned numerous guns but never seen one of those.

My head almost exploded when they escaped the city and the game didn't give the option the scavenge the ammo and automatic weapons... at the very least. This was game of the year at lots of places that talked about how "real" it was. Seriously? I don't see it. I would have never left those weapons behind.

Damn lame weapons that break all the time and controls that don't work. You're supposed to push the button with the square on it to break free if something grabs you. Yeah, right. It never works. NEVER. I guess I'm not a fan of sneaky games and the checkpoints make it intolerable. I could have made it past this if I could have saved after taking out the runners.... just as well I couldn't. I wasn't having fun and I have a feeling it only gets more irritating.
Old 12-23-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I hate checkpoints in games where they're not clearly marked, so I have no idea where I'm going to start from if I turn the game off.
Old 12-23-14, 03:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Easy
It doesn't matter because I gave the game to my nephew, but I didn't get very far. I had to take out a clicker surrounded by runners so... the runners could see me and the clicker could hear me so no matter what I did I was fucked. I took out the runners several times but could not kill the clicker... shot him 6 times and wore out the pipe... that damn thing was invulnerable, at least with the weapons I had.
I actually think I know the exact spot you're talking about, and honestly it was one of the hardest parts of the game just because your character is still pretty weak at that point AND you haven't had a chance to learn the patterns and tactics... meaning it would have gotten a bit easier to manage after that.

That said, if stealth games aren't your thing you were probably never going to enjoy The Last of Us, regardless of checkpoints. You probably saved yourself a lot of misery by quitting when you did because that stealth dynamic is pretty much the whole game.
Old 12-23-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that first one is really hard. Most people repeat that part several times. That's when you learn how to deal with your enemies.

Later you get molotov bombs, fire, and clear areas more easily.

I would give it another try. After this encounter the AI even becomes dumber, you can see NPCs walking along the zombies and not being attacked.
Old 12-23-14, 04:13 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Play Last of us On Grounded difficulty. It takes away most checkpoints, problem solved!
Old 12-23-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's unfortunate that you didn't restart on an easier difficulty because that is easily one of the best games from last gen.
Old 12-23-14, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Op... how good are you at games?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.