Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wild (2014, D: Jean-Marc Vallée) S: Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 12:42 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dHJDeIrq340" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Driven to the edge by the loss of her beloved mother (Laura Dern), the dissolution of her marriage and a headlong dive into self-destructive behavior, Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon) makes a decision to halt her downward spiral and put her life back together again. With no outdoors experience, a heavy backpack and little else to go on but her own will, Cheryl sets out alone to hike the Pacific Crest Trail -- one of the country's longest and toughest through-trails.
Did not see an existing thread for this.

Saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's definitely the best starring role (I'm not including Mud) Witherspoon has had since Walk The Line. I highly recommend checking this out.
Old 12-21-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Wild (2014, D: Jean-Marc Vallée) S: Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern

I'd like to see it. In some ways it gives me a vibe of Into the Wild but with enough differences to set it apart from that film.
Old 12-21-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw this yesterday. Worth seeing for Witherspoon's performance and some good cinematography moments. The script is pretty sharp as well. Vallee really does a good job of making attractive people look unattractive.

Interesting note: I just now realized that if you put these two movies (Wild and Buyer's Club) together, you have the two "romantic" characters of Mud in less than stellar condition.
Old 12-21-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw this yesterday. Worth seeing for Witherspoon's performance and some good cinematography moments. The script is pretty sharp as well. Vallee really does a good job of making attractive people look unattractive.

Interesting note: I just now realized that if you put these two movies (Wild and Buyer's Club) together, you have the two "romantic" characters of Mud in less than stellar condition.

While they (MM & RW) give better performances in Valle's films, the films themselves are not better than Mud.

I did not find Wild to be a great film but it is worth watching for Reese Witherspoon's & Laura Dern's Oscar worthy performances.
Old 12-22-14, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by inri222
While they (MM & RW) give better performances in Valle's films, the films themselves are not better than Mud.

I did not find Wild to be a great film but it is worth watching for Reese Witherspoon's & Laura Dern's Oscar worthy performances.
Just curious... what didn't you like about it?
Old 12-22-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Just curious... what didn't you like about it?
I thought it was good but not great. I am not a big fan of biopics because when made into films they can be formulaic. At times it felt like a fancier version of a Lifetime movie with nudity and profanity. I liked the flashback scenes better than the hiking & camping.
Old 12-24-14, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm watching this on Friday probably.
Old 12-25-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Really looking forward to this. Reese was always one of my favorites. Her reputation isn't great, but she's good when she has some material to worth with.
Old 12-26-14, 02:46 PM
Banned

Saw it today. Really liked how honest it was at points. It sometimes would almost edge too close to a generic thing but then it would go on. Could have been a little stronger. Witherspoon was solid though. Almost made me laugh though cuz all I could think about what was said about taking an actress serious if she gets nekkid. I have never not liked her. She's alright to me. Never really hit my radar on giving a fuck about. She's had a few really good performances but she's meant fuck all to me really. This one though took her to a new place so that's good. DBC was better but this one had an inner emotion in it that really flows across and it is lovely.
Old 12-26-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Sounds like they cut her full frontal nude scene.

No bush, no sale.
Old 02-17-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. Much better than Into The Wild, IMO.
Old 02-17-15, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. Much better than Into The Wild, IMO.
Is this already on BluRay/DVD?
Old 02-17-15, 11:45 PM
Banned

comes out 3/31.

Maybe he got on VOD or whatever. Maybe a theater even.
Old 02-18-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
comes out 3/31.

Maybe he got on VOD or whatever. Maybe a theater even.
Comes out on VOD on March 17th, just as an FYI
Old 02-18-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its still here in theaters (albeit just a few) here in MN.

I saw it back in January and enjoyed it. I will be buying it when it comes out.
Old 04-01-15, 07:49 PM

Checked this out on BluRay. I really liked it.

I didn't know Reese Witherspoon was going to be naked in this as much as she was.

I'm interested to see where this director goes next.
Old 04-01-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I'm interested to see where this director goes next.
While I did not thing this was a great film, I thought it was better than Dallas Buyers Club. Jean-Marc Vallée knows how to get good performances from his actors (Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, Laura Dern, Reese Witherspoon) it's his storytelling that I am not fond of. I hope his next film is not a biopic and see how that goes.
Old 04-01-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I watched a screener of this back in December. Even though it has a 90% on RT, the trailer did nothing for me. And I thought for sure I'd turn the movie off after 30 or so minutes. But I was completely riveted. Witherspoon and Dern's Oscar nomination were richly deserved. It's absolutely one of 2014's very best films.
Old 04-11-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It was good and all, but it couldn't get away from its "rapey" vibe long enough. Funny (or not) what a man will consider and be capable of when there's no one else around for miles.
Old 05-31-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it but didn't love it. The hiking got a little long and repetitive. I know it was supposed to illustrate how grueling it was however there wasn't enough variance to keep the interest. Reese was very good as was Laura Dern. It's weird when two chicks I've got the hots for are playing mother and daughter. I'll agree with Jack about the rapey vibe. Also found perplexing how this chick would meet strangers and bang them within minutes but was terrified of all these people she ran into. She'd double team a couple guys in the alley but not in the woods? I know there's more to it but it just seemed a little strange how terrified she seemed.
Old 05-31-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Also found perplexing how this chick would meet strangers and bang them within minutes but was terrified of all these people she ran into. She'd double team a couple guys in the alley but not in the woods? I know there's more to it but it just seemed a little strange how terrified she seemed.
I think there's a difference between hooking up with guys at bars and being raped in the woods. There's also the possibility of being brutally murdered. Also, I think her journey was like a rebirth/cleansing for her.
Old 05-31-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I liked it but didn't love it. The hiking got a little long and repetitive. I know it was supposed to illustrate how grueling it was however there wasn't enough variance to keep the interest. Reese was very good as was Laura Dern. It's weird when two chicks I've got the hots for are playing mother and daughter. I'll agree with Jack about the rapey vibe. Also found perplexing how this chick would meet strangers and bang them within minutes but was terrified of all these people she ran into. She'd double team a couple guys in the alley but not in the woods? I know there's more to it but it just seemed a little strange how terrified she seemed.
She was a very different person in her past, when she was a drug addict and a lost soul. And there is a HUGE difference between wanting to have sex (in whatever permutation) and getting gang raped by strangers.
Old 05-31-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a sucker for these types of films....really enjoyed it. I've watched it several times on VUDU (bought the Blu-Ray).
Old 05-31-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I think there's a difference between hooking up with guys at bars and being raped in the woods. There's also the possibility of being brutally murdered. Also, I think her journey was like a rebirth/cleansing for her.
Originally Posted by Defiant1
She was a very different person in her past, when she was a drug addict and a lost soul. And there is a HUGE difference between wanting to have sex (in whatever permutation) and getting gang raped by strangers.
True, very true. Not saying that a girl being easy automatically has to bang everyone she sees or that she can't be raped. I was just surprised that the movie emphasized the extremes of her promiscuity yet had such a rapey vibe in so many scenes.
Old 05-31-15, 03:41 PM

It's no different than when in a horror movie a guy can go a fuck 2 girls at once, but if he is in some backwoods location and some creepy girl is coming on to him, he won't want anything to do with her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.