Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon reneges on sale

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon reneges on sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazon reneges on sale

I got this email today...

Hello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers....
Well yeah, it is available from other sellers at 2 to 3 times the $20 I paid. Thanks a lot Amazon. It is also readily available at Best Buy or any number of other stores (again, at a much higher price) so I have serious doubts about the claimed "lack of availability". Needless to say, I'm disappointed. I've never had Amazon just blow off an order before. I'm curious what others think about this action. Anything like this ever happen to you?
Old 12-05-14, 11:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Amazon reneges on sale

Sounds like they are weaseling out of a price mistake.
Old 12-05-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What console did you order it for? It looks like it's available from Amazon for all of them now. I would call or e mail them. Might have easily been a mistake.
Old 12-05-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was the PC version, it isn't in stock. I don't think iit was an error. Other stores had it in the $25-$30 range... black friday sales.
Old 12-05-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Sounds like they are weaseling out of a price mistake.
Agreed. I don't think Amazon cancels open orders. I have had at least two different items that were on backorder for over a year that they eventually filled.
Old 12-05-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That's weird, I've never seen that before and in the past i've seen Amazon fill price mistakes, or at least credit some money back. $20 doesn't seem that bad either since the console versions sold for $25 on sale. I wonder if for some reason Amazon is going to stop selling it?

I'd ask customer service, they might give you some credit for the cancelled order.
Old 12-05-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen Amazon cancel price glitch graphic novel's, and also a couple times when something was going oop or was a limited edition that they thought that they could get more of but couldn't, but something like this then no. Definitely contact customer service again.
Old 12-05-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Agreed. I don't think Amazon cancels open orders. I have had at least two different items that were on backorder for over a year that they eventually filled.
They haven't canceled any open orders for me either, except when they learn inconvertibly that the item won't ever be released, which has happened to me once or twice.

For examples of open orders though, I ordered one book on February 26, 2012, that now has a 2015 release date. And I ordered another book June 19, 2013 (that now has a 2017 release date, meaning they have no idea if/when it will ever be published) and they still haven't canceled that either. All my experience agrees that they'll do everything possible to avoid it.
Old 12-08-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I contacted Amazon CS as suggested and this is the result:

Since this item is included in our Deals, Because of the circumstances and stock unavailability with us, I've made an exception to our standard procedure. Once the item will be available, sold or fulfilled by Amazon.com, you can go ahead and place a new order and WE WILL HONOR $19.99 PRICE (deal price). We will REFUND/WAIVE any PRICE DIFFERENCE when you place an order as long as its sold or fulfilled by us.
Also this:

To help make up for the inconvenience, I've extended your Amazon Prime membership by one month. The membership will now renew on January 31, 2015.

I realize a prime extension can't fully make up for the trouble you had of this order. Please accept this prime benefits extension as a goodwill gesture and an apology for any inconvenience.

Seemed more than fair to me.
Old 12-08-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's pretty sweet, so you'll be able to get the item eventually for that price and a free month of Prime. Sometimes it takes a few back and forths, but i've always had positive experiences with Amazon support.
Old 12-08-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad to hear that you contacted Amazon and are satisfied. They're just about always fair, or more than, in my experience.
Old 12-08-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

So shines a bright ray on a bad seed...

Glad you got the problem handled in your favor.
Old 12-08-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I've had a couple of items canceled on me by Amazon. As in the example above, if you complain to their customer service they'll offer you compensation. They track all their hand-outs to each customer, so it goes against that undisclosed limit.

It's also a known problem that Amazon Warehouse deals will get canceled on occasion. It's rumored if two people order the same Warehouse deal on opposite sides of the country, the item goes to the person living nearest the shipping location. Most Warehouse deals are one-off items, so they aren't in stock at multiple warehouses.
Old 12-08-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zyzzle
So shines a bright ray on a bad seed...
Hate on
Old 12-09-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I once had a 2 day prime shipment get to me in 3 days, they gave me an account credit for future use.
Old 12-19-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's also a known problem that Amazon Warehouse deals will get canceled on occasion. It's rumored if two people order the same Warehouse deal on opposite sides of the country, the item goes to the person living nearest the shipping location. Most Warehouse deals are one-off items, so they aren't in stock at multiple warehouses.
Borders uses the same inventory on ebay and amazon marketplace at the same time. They make more selling it from ebay, so the amazon order always gets cancelled. This happened a lot to me when I was looking for OOP stuff.