Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Predestination (2014 D: The Spierig Bros) S: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Predestination (2014 D: The Spierig Bros) S: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I thought this was great. And Sarah Snook turns in an award worthy performance. She is absolutely amazing. Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcK_UiVV40
Old 11-28-14, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Predestination (2014 D: The Spierig Bros) S: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylo

I like the new take on time travel. The move was very well done, well paced and well acted. Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook definitely kept me interested the entire time. My only complaint is that the story has to be a little far fetched to keep the story from making sense.
Old 11-28-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have to read me some Heinlein one of these days.
Old 12-20-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Predestination (2014 D: The Spierig Bros) S: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylo

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
The move was very well done, well paced and well acted. Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook definitely kept me interested the entire time.
+1. Great ride.
The movie is far from perfect, and felt incomplete, but still it was a very enjoyable piece. Highly recommened, especially for fans of time travel.

I am kind of surprised at the absence of talk on it here.

The dvd is available from amazon.co.uk

Last edited by wearetheborg; 12-20-14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I saw the trailer for this in front of the BD for The Equalizer and I was all like this is Gattaca meets time travel.

I'll check it out. I really enjoyed Daybreakers - as that was Gattaca meets Blade.
Old 12-20-14, 07:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiki says it will be released in the US in Jan 2015.

There is almost no action, no big scenes; but the movie is very well made.
Old 01-11-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I saw this today and liked it a lot. I then looked up a summary of the Robert Heinlein short story ( link ) and this movie is rather faithful to it.
Old 01-12-15, 06:04 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Just watched this last night. Great movie.

You can watch this for FREE on Target Ticket streaming service. Use the coupon code XBOXRENTAL for a free rental (works on any movie). You'll have 30 days to start watching.

https://www.targetticket.com/movies/...ation/639396/0

more info: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...et-ticket.html
Old 01-13-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Just watched this last night. Great movie.

You can watch this for FREE on Target Ticket streaming service. Use the coupon code XBOXRENTAL for a free rental (works on any movie). You'll have 30 days to start watching.

https://www.targetticket.com/movies/...ation/639396/0

more info: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...et-ticket.html
Thanks! Worked like a charm. Will watch asap.
Old 01-13-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well shit, I paid to see this tonight at the theater.

I liked it, but I don't know about that ending. That was just too much for me.

Really enjoyed the storytelling of how Jane grew up and became John and such.
Old 01-14-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for that code! Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Despite having all the pieces in front of me the whole time, that ending still shocked me. I'll look forward to re-visiting it once it's on blu.
Old 01-14-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

The ending ruined it...for me. Too contrived IMHO
Old 01-14-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soooooooo....

Spoiler:
presumably this cycle has been going on for awhile, but that begs the question: If John is the fizzle bomber, then why don't they just break the cycle and not take him from the hospital as a newborn? I get that they wouldn't know John is the fizzle bomber because he presumably becomes that once he's deactivated (his device doesn't decommission, allowing him to continue to travel), but he could always jump back and warn them at any time. I guess the biggest question is: what purpose does John serve other than to chase his own tail (in more ways than one )

Fun movie. I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 01-15-15, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Soooooooo....

Spoiler:
presumably this cycle has been going on for awhile, but that begs the question: If John is the fizzle bomber, then why don't they just break the cycle and not take him from the hospital as a newborn? I get that they wouldn't know John is the fizzle bomber because he presumably becomes that once he's deactivated (his device doesn't decommission, allowing him to continue to travel), but he could always jump back and warn them at any time. I guess the biggest question is: what purpose does John serve other than to chase his own tail (in more ways than one )

Fun movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

Spoiler:
As they told John and he says at the end. They pretty much knew he was the Fizzle bomber. The Bomber was basically the reason that the time travel department was created along with other positive results of his bombings, which they also eluded to when he was being decommissioned. So his existence was necessary. Which he himself came to realize. Which is why he became the bomber.
Old 01-15-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Spoiler:
As they told John and he says at the end. They pretty much knew he was the Fizzle bomber. The Bomber was basically the reason that the time travel department was created along with other positive results of his bombings, which they also eluded to when he was being decommissioned. So his existence was necessary. Which he himself came to realize. Which is why he became the bomber.
Spoiler:
but if he was literally created by time travel, how was he always the fizzle bomber? I'm going to have to watch this again. haha. I
Old 01-15-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Spoiler:
but if he was literally created by time travel, how was he always the fizzle bomber? I'm going to have to watch this again. haha. I
Spoiler:
After killing his future self. He used the time travel machine to go back in time and become the bomber. Remember his time travel device did not decommission. The future version of himself was the bomber. He could travel back 50 years before time travel was invented.
Old 01-25-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Watched this tonight and really dug it. Sara Snook was pretty awesome. Definitely an interesting take on the paradox. Really really like it.

Spoiler:
All the subtle hints of the past being different than ours and then you realize that the future is changed by him. Thought provoking.
Old 02-11-15, 02:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Predestination (2014) D: Spierig Bros.; S: Hawke, Snook

Just finished watching this, could not find any posts about it. I am still cleaning my brains off the recliner from my head exploding. Ethan Hawke was great, but Sarah Snook was amazing in an extremely complicated role. Anyone else watch this really smart time travel tale?
Old 02-11-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Predestination (2014) D: Spierig Bros.; S: Hawke, Snook

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ah-taylor.html
Old 02-11-15, 03:06 PM

Re: Predestination (2014) D: Spierig Bros.; S: Hawke, Snook

Thanks. I did a search and that thread did not show up.
Old 02-11-15, 03:08 PM

Watched this today. Incredible. It‘s about 45 minutes in before you realize how important Jane's story is. Still wrapping my head around all the twists.
Old 02-11-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I ended up writing a 140 Size Review of this movie on Twitter:

Predestination: scifi film based on a Robert A. Heinlein time travel story that drawn in a storyboard would look like an M.C. Escher picture
Old 02-12-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I saw this a month or 2 ago - it was decent. It was just a bit too much for me to suspend belief
Spoiler:
the reason for the sex change
but it was entertaining and I give it a solid B.

Since the movies ending is a bit convuluted I just like to think that
Spoiler:
He stopped the cycle
Old 02-13-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My friend reviewed the Blu-ray and REALLY like it.

Five years back the Spierig brothers made a film called Daybreakers, which received a level of praise from some circles, as far as interesting takes on the vampire genre go. I was not huge on the film overall, but I was happy to praise the world they created for the film, which I thought was actually better suited for a TV series. Now the Spierig’s are back with Predestination, a time travel story, based on a short story by sci-fi writer Robert A. Heinlein. I am a fan of time travel movies and this film did a number on me in terms of both the handling of the always tricky plotting for these types of films and its approach to gender politics, which I was certainly not expecting. Now the film is available on Blu-ray, which is good, because this is an involved, well-filmed, well-acted, and engaging time travel flick that fans should go check out.
http://whysoblu.com/predestination-blu-ray-review/
Old 02-16-15, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I just rented the BD for this tonight.

Holy shit. What a mindfuck experience of a movie. So twisted, yet so unique. Really awesome performance by Sarah Snook.

The big twist that:

Spoiler:
Jane
John
the baby
Ethan Hawke's character

were all the same person made my jaw drop to the ground.

So fucked up. I honestly don't know how I would rate this movie. I feel kind of dirty now seeing the dynamics of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.