Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Legendary Japanese actor Ken Takakura dies at age 83

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Japanese actor Ken Takakura, a veteran of more than 200 films who became famous by starring in popular yakuza gangster movies and then aged into an actor who personified the strength and dignity of his country, has died. According to the Associated Press, the 83-year-old suffered from lymphoma and died in Tokyo on Nov. 10.
Because of that career arc—evolving from action outlaw to stoic authority figure—Takakura was often compared to Clint Eastwood. He stumbled into the movie industry, plucked from a random audition to star in his 1956 debut, Denko Karate Uchi (Lightning Karate Blow) and quickly became a yakuza-film star, making similar action-genre films while under contract with the Toei Film Company. His big breakout was Abashiri Bangaichi (Abashiri Prison) in 1965, in which he played a model inmate handcuffed to a hardened felon during a prison escape. The film yielded 10 sequels in the next four years.
In 1970, he made his Hollywood debut in Too Late the Hero, opposite Michael Caine and Henry Fonda, and he also co-starred opposite Robert Mitchum in Sydney Pollack’s The Yakuza (1974). But it was Ridley Scott’s Black Rain (1989) that introduced him to the widest international audience. Playing a solemn but proud detective tasked with working with a slick New York cop (Michael Douglas) to capture a gangster in Osaka, Takakura represented the friendly face of Japan to American movie audiences who were—at the time— increasingly threatened by Japan’s growing economic might.
In 1992, Takakura portrayed a similarly low-key character in Mr. Baseball, playing the baseball manager forced to field a new American slugger played by Tom Selleck.

Takatura won four Japanese Academy Awards for Best Actor, and he was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award earlier this year. His 204th movie was Zhang Yimou’s Riding Alone for Thousands Miles (2005), which earned him critical praise, and his final film, Dearest, came out in 2012.

I've seen Black Rain, Mr. Baseball and Yakuza. Good actor. Never saw any of his classic Japanese movies. RIP
Old 11-18-14, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Legendary Japanese actor Ken Takakura dies at age 83

I know him from Black Rain. Seen him in other stuff too. Solid actor. Damn. 204 films. That is a hell of a career.
Old 11-18-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I first saw him in Robert Aldrich's WWII movie, TOO LATE THE HERO (1969), which was, I believe, Takakura's first Hollywood film. He later co-starred with Robert Mitchum in the cult classic, THE YAKUZA (1975). I saw this screened at the Japan Society three years ago and Paul Schrader, the co-writer, spoke afterwards. Schrader wrote a seminal article on Yakuza movies in the early 1970s and he programmed a series of these films at the Museum of Modern Art in the mid-70s. I saw a bunch of them there.

Sadly, not many Takakura Yakuza films are available in the U.S. in subtitled DVDs. In fact, I don't know of any. I've got some of his Yakuza films on untranslated VHS tapes. Great stuff.

This is SAMURAI GEISHA (1969), with Junko Fuji:

A characteristic pose for Ken:

Old 11-18-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

You watch your tail, cowboy.
Old 11-18-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I liked him. RIP
Old 11-18-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, I'm sure I have over a hundred Japanese movies from 50's to 70's. I assumed I would have had a bunch with him, but I didn't recognize him, and l looked at his filmography and it doesn't overlap very much with my collection. Kind of odd.
Old 11-18-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Yakuza is one of my favorite films. An original Japanese movie poster hangs in my apartment.
Old 11-18-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles just might be the best film I've seen from Yimou...Mostly thanks to Ken's performance.

RIP