Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Google Nexus Player

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 12:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Google Nexus Player

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

This specs on this appear to mimic the Amazon Fire TV device.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6...-box-announced

Nexus Player is Google's first Android TV device
Google tries to take over your living room, again

The first device running Google's new Android TV platform will be the Nexus Player, a set-top streaming box made by Google and Asus. The device is being announced today, and it's Google's latest in a very long line of attempts to take over your TV. Though Google's past attempts have been fairly unsuccessful, Android TV looks like it could be a different story. Announced back in June, Android TV has a good-looking interface that allows you to stream music, movies, and TV shows. You can also play Android games on it, and it can mimic the Chromecast's features too, all of which make it sound like it could turn out to be a useful little box.

The Nexus Player takes the shape of a sleek-looking puck around 4.7-inches in diameter. It comes with a tiny remote with just a few buttons on it, one of which allows you to enable a microphone to perform a voice search — it's actually a lot like what you'd find with Amazon's Fire TV. The box includes 8GB of internal storage and is able to stream over 802.11ac Wi-Fi, which is the newest standard out there right now. The Nexus Player also supports a game controller, but it's sold separately.

Google will sell the Nexus Player for $99 and its game controller for $39, according to Recode. The Nexus Player will be available to preorder on Friday, and you'll be able to buy it in stores beginning November 3rd.
Old 10-15-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Google Nexus Player

Sweet. Roku might be fucked.
Old 10-16-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

no Ethernet port is a big mistake.
Old 10-16-14, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
no Ethernet port is a big mistake.
Why is that?
Old 10-16-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't notice that but I agree. A lot of people like streaming local content, Wifi is not reliable for it.
Old 10-17-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wifi can be flaky when streaming big 1080p files
Old 10-17-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A couple of points: I contacted AT&T and they said that because of what I'm paying per month, they're only streaming about 3.5 Mbps, and if I want it to be stronger, I have to pay more, so you might want to check your signal strength with your cable provider. Also, I've had a U-Verse DVR for years, and I never knew this, but it actually has an Ethernet port in the back, and connecting the cable to that as an out and my Blu-ray player as an in gives me an Ethernet connection, which was total news to my dumb ass.
Old 10-18-14, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
wifi can be flaky when streaming big 1080p files
I understand that. But I don't know why you call it a mistake. I can't imagine that having an ethernet port would substantially boost sales, as people who want to stream big local files with it would not be a significant number. I doubt that the lack of an ethernet port will have anything to do with the success or failure of this product. It'll depend more on ease of use of its games and how well it handles the Netflix interface.
Old 10-18-14, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update from the source listed in the OP:

The Nexus Player will only be available through the Google Play Store. Google originally stated that it would be available in stores beginning this November, but it now says that this will not be the case.
Old 10-20-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by otmetrud
I understand that. But I don't know why you call it a mistake. I can't imagine that having an ethernet port would substantially boost sales, as people who want to stream big local files with it would not be a significant number. I doubt that the lack of an ethernet port will have anything to do with the success or failure of this product. It'll depend more on ease of use of its games and how well it handles the Netflix interface.
there is a sizable market for tv boxes that you can put XBMC onto. Did sales of the Amazon FireTV jump a bunch once it was figured out how to root it?
Old 10-20-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by otmetrud
You'd be surprised. Isn't there a version of XBMC/Kodi for Android?
Old 10-21-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Isn't there a version of XBMC/Kodi for Android?
yes
Old 10-28-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pre-orders for the game controller started yesterday. I looked at the Nexus site and I noticed right away that there isn't an Amazon Instant Video app listed. I might have missed it, but I can see why they might not want to carry an app for a rival.
Old 10-28-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by writer106
Pre-orders for the game controller started yesterday. I looked at the Nexus site and I noticed right away that there isn't an Amazon Instant Video app listed. I might have missed it, but I can see why they might not want to carry an app for a rival.
Pretty sure Amazon isn't letting them use it. Amazon Instant isn't even in the Play Store. Though it may be in part because of the associated in-app fees.
Old 09-09-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$49 today: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-goo...9f9d3b6318ed1d