Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday (3/2/15)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New album announced today. Said to be "eclectic". Johnny Marr guests on the track "Ballad Of The Mighty I" (likely the 2nd single)

Disc 1

1. Riverman
2. In The Heat Of The Moment
3. The Girl With X-Ray Eyes
4. Lock All The Doors
5. The Dying Of The Light
6. The Right Stuff
7. While The Song Remains The Same
8. The Mexican
9. You Know We Can't Go Back
10. Ballad Of The Mighty I

Disc 2 (Deluxe Edition Only)

1. Do The Damage
2. Revolution Song
3. Freaky Teeth
4. In The Heat Of The Moment (Remix)

Here's the first single, "In The Heat Of The Moment" (out 11/17/14):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4thCOmIMuVM

I'm pretty excited. Think the last album was the best thing he's done since "Morning Glory".
Old 10-13-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday (3/2/15)

Originally Posted by fallfan
New album announced today. Said to be "eclectic". Johnny Marr guests on the track "Ballad Of The Mighty I" (likely the 2nd single)

Disc 1

1. Riverman
2. In The Heat Of The Moment
3. The Girl With X-Ray Eyes
4. Lock All The Doors
5. The Dying Of The Light
6. The Right Stuff
7. While The Song Remains The Same
8. The Mexican
9. You Know We Can't Go Back
10. Ballad Of The Mighty I

Disc 2 (Deluxe Edition Only)

1. Do The Damage
2. Revolution Song
3. Freaky Teeth
4. In The Heat Of The Moment (Remix)

Here's the first single, "In The Heat Of The Moment" (out 11/17/14):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4thCOmIMuVM

I'm pretty excited. Think the last album was the best thing he's done since "Morning Glory".
I agree, but I'm surprised it's not coming out until next year. Would have thought it would be out before Christmas this year.
Old 10-14-14, 06:17 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't wait for this. Noel's flat out brilliant and his first album did not disappoint.
Old 10-14-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the new song.
Old 03-19-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...ad-at-20150317

I'd heard a lot of these, but there are some that are new to me.

4. Brian Wilson
"Who would want to be Brian Wilson, sitting in a studio in a nappy, eating a fucking carrot with your little fat feet in a sandpit, not going on tour? Fuck that."

12. His Guitar Skills
"I'm average at fucking best."

16. The Grammys
"No. I can't really stomach things like that. Everybody's too nice. You cannot have a room with 5,000 people, who are all fans of each other. That's not real."

17. Interrupting the Grammys
"I never ever once got onstage while somebody else was getting an award. I would never do that. As little respect as I've got for other people at least I've got that much respect for people."

24. Pop Quietism
"The new names like James Blunt, Ed Sheeran and Jessie J — they defer to the [record] labels. The bands that I grew up with had a healthy dose of indifference and contempt towards their labels. That has gone."

28. Radiohead
"Making records should be fun. I remember seeing Radiohead on the cover of a magazine in the U.K. when In Rainbows came out, and it said, Radiohead: The Pain. And I thought, 'Won't you fucking give it a rest, you bunch of moaning children?' The pain? Of making an album? I don't buy it. If you're not having a laugh, then don't do it."

36. Kaiser Chiefs
"The worst thing about them is that they're not very good. They play dress-up and sit on top of an apex of meaninglessness. They don't mean anything to anybody apart from their fucking ugly girlfriends."

37. Retro-Soul
"Adele and Emeli Sandé – that music, to me, is like music for fucking grannies."

41. The Dress Code for the Reflektor Tour
"Well, what's the point of that? Do you know what the point of that is? That is to take away from the shit disco that's coming out of the speakers. Because everybody's dressed as one of the Three Musketeers on acid. 'What was the gig like?' 'I don't know, everyone was dressed as a teddy bear in the Seventies.' 'Yeah, but what was the gig like?' 'Ah, fuck knows, man, I have no idea. I was dressed as a flying saucer.' 'Yeah, but what was the gig like?' 'Fuck knows. I don't know. Seen Cheech and Chong, there, though.' Not for me."

48. The Shady Records Roster
"I fucking despise hip-hop. Loathe it. Eminem is a fucking idiot, and I find 50 Cent the most distasteful character I have ever crossed in my life. It's so negative."

60. Keane
"I feel sorry for Keane. No matter how hard they try they'll always be squares. Even if one of them started injecting heroin into onto his cock people would go, 'Yeah but your dad was a vicar, good night.'"

63. Sum 41
"I'm just glad I lived long enough to hear the shittiest band ever."

67. Blur
"The thing that gets me is, people will say that [Blur's] the Beatles and we're the Stones. The fact of the matter is, we're the Beatles and the Stones, and they're the fucking Monkees."

77. Thom Yorke
"No matter how much you sit there twiddling, going, 'We're all doomed', at the end of the day people will always want to hear you play 'Creep'. Get over it."

79. Critics of U2's The Joshua Tree
"Anybody who doesn't like The Joshua Tree is a cocksucker, for a start. And anybody who went to see the Zoo TV tour and didn't think it was the greatest of all time at that time is also a fucking idiot."

81. Workaholics
"I don't like workaholics. Don't fucking trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy c*n*s. That's how wars start: busy fuckers. If terrorism had a weekend off, eventually they'd have a year off. Eventually they'd go, 'Fuck this – blowing up shit? Football's on.'"
Old 03-19-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On another note, the new album is fantastic! Vinyl version comes with a copy of the CD, but it's also worth picking up the deluxe edtion of the CD, too. As is usual for Noel, the non album bonus tracks are as good as, if not better than the regular album tracks.
Old 03-19-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an awesome list.
Old 03-21-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So school me on Oasis. I was a bit older when they hit it big, and I didn't really get on the bandwagon or buy any of the albums. I absolutely LOVE the single "Morning Glory"---just about a perfect rock single, in my book. But that's the only song of theirs I've heard that's really blown me away. "Wonderwall" is decent, as are some of their other singles, but they don't seem to rock out as much as I'd like.

Anyone want to make the case for Oasis living up to the hype, and that I should give them more of a chance and pick up some of their releases?
Old 03-21-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

The thing about Oasis is that for a while (the first couple albums and various singles and B-sides), the music was truly amazing. But if you listen to the lyrics, they are so inane and meaningless that they diminish the songs. I swear they just threw a bunch of words together because they rhymed. As great as the music was, they could never be as good as the Beatles because they never said anything of substance with their music. Like cotton candy Beatles. Just my opinion.
Old 03-21-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42
The thing about Oasis is that for a while (the first couple albums and various singles and B-sides), the music was truly amazing. But if you listen to the lyrics, they are so inane and meaningless that they diminish the songs. I swear they just threw a bunch of words together because they rhymed. As great as the music was, they could never be as good as the Beatles because they never said anything of substance with their music. Like cotton candy Beatles. Just my opinion.
That's funny, because that's been exactly my impression of Oasis--I just don't know their catalog well enough to state that myself.
Old 03-21-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
67. Blur
"The thing that gets me is, people will say that [Blur's] the Beatles and we're the Stones. The fact of the matter is, we're the Beatles and the Stones, and they're the fucking Monkees."
Noel is definitely the funniest music critic in the business.
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
So school me on Oasis. I was a bit older when they hit it big, and I didn't really get on the bandwagon or buy any of the albums. I absolutely LOVE the single "Morning Glory"---just about a perfect rock single, in my book. But that's the only song of theirs I've heard that's really blown me away. "Wonderwall" is decent, as are some of their other singles, but they don't seem to rock out as much as I'd like.

Anyone want to make the case for Oasis living up to the hype, and that I should give them more of a chance and pick up some of their releases?
You pretty much have to run out right now and buy their first two albums- Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory?. Particularly their deluxe editions with all the included B-sides. If you don't like that music, you have no soul or hate Rock. Then you can move on to The Masterplan.

Talking about this specific solo album from Noel, it's a good effort and he definitely steps out of his comfort zone on a couple of songs for the good. I am not sure I like it as much as his first solo album but there is still a lot of solid music on it.
Old 03-23-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

Oasis mirrored a lot of other huge bands of the time, where they came out strong, releasing a few incredible albums, and then slowly losing their edge and putting out more average stuff. Their first 2 albums were great, and in my opinion completely worthy of the praise they received. But none of the albums after that grabbed me as well as the first. Very similar to Smashing Pumpkins really, and both were peaking around the same time as well. So definitely give Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory a listen, but other than those 2, nothing else is must-hear. Just like with Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie - the rest is just kind of meh after that.
Old 03-23-15, 10:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I like the new album, but what Gallagher really needs is a producer who'll come in and say, "right, Noel - you get one song that can be over four minutes, and that's it. You write pop songs, and pop songs should be three minutes thirty, tops."
Old 03-23-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

"Whats the story morning glory" is my favorite one by them and the only one thats really clicked with me. Its one of my top ten favorite albums, too.
Old 03-23-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I will seek out the first two. I do love the single "Supersonic" too, now that I think about it.
Old 03-23-15, 12:51 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

You should really check out The Masterplan as well. While there's a couple of throwaways on it, it's maybe my favorite Oasis album.
Old 03-23-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
You should really check out The Masterplan as well. While there's a couple of throwaways on it, it's maybe my favorite Oasis album.
Will do.
Old 04-04-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, so I picked up "Stop the Clocks", the Noel-selected greatest hits (18 tracks) Oasis compilation, and I've been listening to that pretty steadily for the last week or so.

The cons:

I'm not the biggest Beatles fan in the world, particularly their later work, and obviously Oasis draws heavily from that--a little too much, for my liking.

Also, I kind of feel that with a lot of my favorite bands (The Clash, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Jam, early U2, Simple Minds), they had a pretty clear artistic vision to communicate and/or things they wanted to say, whereas with Oasis, I get the sense that they didn't have that much to communicate--they just loved rock music and wanted to be rock stars. Sort of like Tarantino in regards to movies, IMO. And I would have to say that I do pretty much agree with sherm42:

Okay, the pros:

I love Liam's voice and think he was an awesome frontman. Noel is a brilliant songsmith, with a fantastic gift for hooky choruses and riffs--and a great overall vision of what the song should sound like. He's a decent guitar player, too. They wrote quite a variety of songs, too, from rockers to acoustic stuff. Even though I think Noel got overwhelmed by his Beatles influences here and there, I think he was on par with them as far as his ability to put a song together.

Also, on some of my favorite songs, like Morning Glory and Supersonic, I think they DO sound pretty unique and not that much like anyone else.

Would I put them in my top 10 bands ever? Probably not. Were they a fantastic band? I'd say yes. Am I going to go back and pick up some of their full albums? Yep.

Okay, I'm up to about 1995 as far as keeping up with new bands....
Old 04-04-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

According to this recent interview, he pretty much agrees with you on their lyrics:

AVC: Have you ever considered writing lyrics in the same manner as you speak? You could be writing Morrissey-like lyrics.

NG: Unfortunately there’s only one Morrissey. I write lyrics from the heart. I don’t think they’re one thing or another. They just fit the tune. I never put myself up there as a fantastic lyricist. I don’t care about lyrics. The music always comes first. That’s what you hum on the way to work or to school. The words, who gives a fuck about the words? I’ll tell you who care about words. Singers. That’s all they give a fuck about.
http://www.avclub.com/article/noel-g...g-fucki-216909

I think Oasis are okay - and I really love "Don't Look Back in Anger" - but Liam and Noel's quotes in the press have provided me with way more entertainment than their music over the years.

I want to get a tech shirt with "Running's for fucking squares" printed on it for when I do my races.
Old 04-05-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
- but Liam and Noel's quotes in the press have provided me with way more entertainment than their music over the years.

I want to get a tech shirt with "Running's for fucking squares" printed on it for when I do my races.
Saw on old interview with Noel on youtube: "Jazz? That's four guys on stage, having a lot more fun than anyone in the audience--and all playing a wrong note at the same time. Jazz is rubbish."
Old 06-28-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, I was not able to make this Boston show. Classic Noel---a fan was able to give a CD of his own music to Noel, with mixed results.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VHEpyehguO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>