Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

How do you display your signed comics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How do you display your signed comics?

I've been debating what to do. I had some old Ultra-Pro sleeves that I started using for them, but I've gotten quite a few more in recent years and I don't have enough to go around. I was thinking it'd be great to have some kind of binder with stiff, sealable/snapable pages but there doesn't seem to be a product like that (if I were the engineering type maybe I'd produce my own! ™©)! Just putting them in bags and backs is a "meh" idea to me, but on the other end of the spectrum framing is too much.

What say you?
Old 09-25-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts
Re: How do you display your signed comics?

I've got a couple of Batman issues signed by Jim Lee. My intention is to frame them someday and hang them on the wall, preferably in a double frame so the two can be side by side. I haven't decided if I want to just frame the comics themselves, or include the certificates of authenticity with them.
Old 09-25-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I don't have many autographed comics, but the ones I do have (Including Sandman #50 signed by Gaiman and Death the High Cost of Living signed by Gaiman and Bachalo) in these things called Showcase Sealers. They are hard plastic cases (clear front, solid black back) that snap together and can be hung on a wall like a frame. Also think the have some UV protection.

I am not sure if they're still being made, or if they're called something else now.

ETA: These look almost exactly like the Showcase Sealers. You should be able to get these from a comic book store, or have them order them for you.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic...howcase-holder

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-25-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have one signed comic. I got it out of a 50 cent bin at my LCS, and it's numbered out of 2500 so I think it came from QVC or something like that.

So it's bagged & boarded and in the long box with everything else. I don't have any personal attachment to it or anything since it was pre-signed.
Old 09-26-14, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

One of the few signed comics I have was from a quarter bin. It was by Hulk artist Sal Buscema on the inside. I've never really understood the autograph thing.
Old 09-26-14, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I only have one signed comic. I got it out of a 50 cent bin at my LCS, and it's numbered out of 2500 so I think it came from QVC or something.
There were companies that did limited editions of signed comic books. My aforementioned Sandman and Death comics both came from such places and had COAs with them. The Death one I bought from a Comic book store and the Sandman one was mail order direct from the issuer.

I think QVC might have sold autographed comics in the early 90s; they also sold Star Trek and Star Wars memorabilia.
Old 09-26-14, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

I don't. They're in the longboxes with everything else.
Old 09-26-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Same with me. I have too many to display.

I do have a signed Will Eisner program for some comic con that I found in a 50 cent bin. That might be worth a frame.
Old 09-26-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started with the idea of framing:

but then when I started getting a few more I thought of other avenues. I'm thinking binders may be the way to go, even though I'd like something sturdier than the pages for those.

This week I found a few Norm Breyfogle autos in a quarter box (two were personalized, one wasn't)! I know autographs "ruin" the value of a book, but I still quite enjoy them.
Old 09-26-14, 09:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Same here. Most of my autographed books were either dollar box finds or free signatures from Westfield back in the day. I'm sure I have dozens of books that I'll never know are signed on the inside.

Once I get my "last house" and have room for better displaying of my collection, I'll probably put a few key books up on a wall.
Old 09-26-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I display my signed comics on eBay.
Old 09-26-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think QVC might have sold autographed comics in the early 90s; they also sold Star Trek and Star Wars memorabilia.
Yeah, I remember back in the early-mid 90's QVC did shows dedicated to comics. I sorta miss those.

One I especially remember is QVC having a Knightquest/Knight's End bundle on a comic show not long after that arc wrapped up (Late 94-Early 95 ish). The big selling point was that there was a signed copy of the final issue, Legends of the Dark Knight #63.

...Which happens to be the issue I found 10 years later and now own. It's signed by Scott Hanna, Barry Kitson, and Denny O'Neil. The condition isn't the greatest, though, and I'm missing the certificate of authenticity.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 09-26-14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-26-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This doesn't really have to do with signed comics but the audiences overlap closely. Anyone that can visit a Kirkland's should swing by one in the next week. It's mostly a home decor store aimed at our wives but lately they've been getting in these gigantic framed comic book covers of famous Marvel and DC issues. They just got a new batch in with all sorts of interesting selections, including the cover to Classic X-Men #1 and Fantastic Four #167. They tend to run $30 to $40 on sale, but the ink and printing are quite impressive in person.

http://www.kirklands.com/

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-29-14, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Ditto. I never even thought about displaying them.
Old 09-29-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This doesn't really have to do with signed comics but the audiences overlap closely. Anyone that can visit a Kirkland's should swing by one in the next week. It's mostly a home decor store aimed at our wives but lately they've been getting in these gigantic framed comic book covers of famous Marvel and DC issues. They just got a new batch in with all sorts of interesting selections, including the cover to Classic X-Men #1 and Fantastic Four #167. They tend to run $30 to $40 on sale, but the ink and printing are quite impressive in person.

http://www.kirklands.com/

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
I see these from time to time on various poster websites, but I've always been hesitant because I assumed they were unlicensed bootlegs or something. I'd be curious to see one in person, but the closest Kirklands is about 65 miles away.
Old 09-29-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I went to the .99 cent store and bought frames. Comics are bagged and boarded and look and fit nicely.
I hang them on my wall.
Old 09-30-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I see these from time to time on various poster websites, but I've always been hesitant because I assumed they were unlicensed bootlegs or something. I'd be curious to see one in person, but the closest Kirklands is about 65 miles away.
I had never even considered they were bootlegs until you said something but I started looking closer at my one featuring Superman #1. The lack of any official DC licensing insignia is disturbing. They come with sturdy wood frames backing them and look great in person, however.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 09-30-14 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
My buddy got an Amazing Fantasy 15 he got at Kirklands signed by Stan Lee this summer. It's pretty bad ass as Lee made sure to sign it nice and big.
Old 10-07-14, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is who i used

http://www.frameitagainsam.com/hall.php

took a bit to arrive but worth it
Old 10-08-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen this mentioned but Ross (the trashy discount clothes retailer) stores have had a couple of comic book framed art show up in the past couple of weeks. I snagged a hard-mounted reproduction of Justice League of America #28 (the classic Silver Age series) for $9.99.
Old 10-08-14, 12:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I haven't seen this mentioned but Ross (the trashy discount clothes retailer) stores have had a couple of comic book framed art show up in the past couple of weeks. I snagged a hard-mounted reproduction of Justice League of America #28 (the classic Silver Age series) for $9.99.
I walked by two different Ross' in the last week and didn't go in to look! I hope I didn't miss this. Insta buy.
Old 12-04-14, 02:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't display my signed comics at all.. keep them locked up in the cabinet in the living room!
Old 12-10-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Same with me. I have too many to display.

I do have a signed Will Eisner program for some comic con that I found in a 50 cent bin. That might be worth a frame.
I bought a programme from the NYCC in... 1978, or thereabouts, and it's former owner had got the autograph page signed by practically everyone who was there. It's really fascinating as a who's who snapshot of the time.

Wish I knew where it was....

(Oh, has anyone ever framed a script? Do they have deep frames for that type of thing..?)