Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Have there ever been times when an actors/actresses looks took you out of the film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Have there ever been times when an actors/actresses looks took you out of the film?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts

Sometimes when an actor/actress is too good looking for the part, it takes me out of the film and I can no longer suspend my disbelief. I know this is the Hollywood way, but sometimes it just really bothers me, especially for films with a realistic approach.

For example....this happened when I was watching The Assassination of Richard Nixon. Overall I love the film, but Naomi Watts playing the ex-wife was way too good looking for the part. There is no way that a loser like the one Sean Penn plays would ever get someone like that.

I just saw the trailer for The Theory of Everything and Felicity Jones playing Stephen Hawking's wife just made me shake my head in disbelief.

Am I the only one feels like this on occasion?
Old 09-16-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Have there ever been times when an actors/actresses looks took you out of the fil

Acting abilities aside, Cameron Diaz in Gangs of NY. She's too modern looking, if that makes sense.
Old 09-16-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Have there ever been times when an actors/actresses looks took you out of the fil

Nearly any movie about high school students. It didn't bother me when I was a little kid, because teenagers were older than me, of course they should look older than me in movies. But now, when I see people who don't closer to 30 than 16 playing high school students, it turns me off the film.
Old 09-16-14, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Acting abilities aside, Cameron Diaz in Gangs of NY. She's too modern looking, if that makes sense.
Yeah. She sticks out badly in everything for that film. I seriously wonder who chose her for film? Did Marty literally choose her or was that a Weinstein thing?
Old 09-16-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brittany Murphy in Sin City
Old 09-16-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

American Nuclear Physicist:

Old 09-16-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It can happen when the actor/actress is either too good-looking or too poor-looking to convincingly play the role.

Kirsten Dunst as supermodel Mary Jane in the original Spider-Man movies is one such example. Mary Jane was always written and drawn as a drop-dead gorgeous supermodel, ala Heidi Klum or Kathy Ireland. They definitely didn't cast Dunst in the role for her looks.
Old 09-16-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Kirsten Dunst as supermodel Mary Jane in the original Spider-Man movies is one such example. Mary Jane was always written and drawn as a drop-dead gorgeous supermodel, ala Heidi Klum or Kathy Ireland. They definitely didn't cast Dunst in the role for her looks.
I agree that Dunst doesn't fit the character as written in the comics, but she's not really written as a drop dead gorgeous super-model in the movies is she? She's literally just the girl next door.
Old 09-16-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I actually find that more believable than the comic.
Old 09-16-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way Spiderman would've gone for a snaggletooth like Dunst.
Old 09-16-14, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the opposite spectrum of being too good-looking, Shelly Duvall's ugly face distracts me every time I watch The Shining. It is by far the scariest thing in the movie.

On a more serious note, it always distracts me when actors have pearly white teeth in movies/TV shows that are set in eras before good dentistry existed. One example would be the recent Spartacus TV series on Starz. All the gladiators had perfect teeth when they really should have been rotted. I guess being a slave to the House of Batiatus comes with an excellent dental plan.
Old 09-16-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

This usually applies to sword and sandal films in which the characters are not just ethnically wrong, but they also look too clean and the women look like they just came out of the beauty salon.

Old 09-16-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
One example would be the recent Spartacus TV series on Starz. All the gladiators had perfect teeth when they really should have been rotted. I guess being a slave to the House of Batiatus comes with an excellent dental plan.
And a chest wax plan. That also goes for the guys in 300.
Old 09-16-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't think "Perfect" looks have ever taken me out of a movie, but weird ones have. Case in point, Art Garfunkel in Bad Timing. Whenever I saw him, all I kept thinking was, "Put a bozo-nose on him and we're done". Ironically, Theresa Russell ended up wearing clown makeup in one scene.
Old 09-16-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
American Nuclear Physicist:

[IMG]http://prettycleverfilms.com/files/2013/05/the-world-is-not-enough-denise-richard1.jpg[/ IMG]

That was part of the joke though.
Old 09-16-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And a chest wax plan. That also goes for the guys in 300.
An incongruously shaved face always takes me out of a movie. So many movies about guys that are supposed to be roughing it somehow, yet always have perfectly clean, shaved faces.
Old 09-16-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
So many movies about guys that are supposed to be roughing it somehow, yet always have perfectly clean, shaved faces.
I always wondered what the fuck Tarzan was shaving with.
Old 09-16-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 09-16-14, 07:23 PM

Actors who look almost nothing like the famous subjects they're portraying always distract me. The make up wasn't bad, but J Edgar Hoover doesn't look a thing like Leo.

And don't even get me started on Anthony Hopkins as Nixon
Old 09-16-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Charlize Theron and Kristen Stewart in that Snow White movie. I don't understand how Snow White can be the "fairest" when the Queen is way better looking than her.
Old 09-17-14, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Charlize Theron and Kristen Stewart in that Snow White movie. I don't understand how Snow White can be the "fairest" when the Queen is way better looking than her.
Wow, great point. Maybe it's because Charlize is hot and Stewart is only fair.
Old 09-17-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keanu and Winona Ryder in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Their fake accents are incredibly distracting.
Old 09-17-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Looper was pretty distracting for me.
Old 09-17-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

- Any character in an apocalyptic wasteland or from the Middle Ages played by an actor with clean smooth skin, perfect white teeth, hair that looks like a stylist worked on it for two hours, and manicured nails.

- Any female character in a movie that takes place before the 1960's played by an actress with obvious breast implants.

- Any character who wakes up in the morning with already-styled hair, no bedhead, no eye crust - and if it's a female - already completely made-up.

- Any pretty boy actor from the CW playing a Navy SEAL or Army Ranger or the like.

- Any 20-something actor or actress playing a head detective or F.B.I. agent ordering around all the senior guys or schooling them about crime scene processing and investigation techniques.

- Any 20-something actor/actress playing a character with a job they couldn't possibly have at their age like Vice President of Sales at General Motors or Managing Director at Goldman Sachs.
Old 09-17-14, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Keanu and Winona Ryder in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Their fake accents are incredibly distracting.
Wrong sense for this thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.